• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone have an issue with their Throttle Position Sensor

Reworked LMTV

I was in a Vets Parade today. I have noticed that my Ali likes to shift at higher RPMs than I would typically expect. It shifts like a GM turbo 350 tranny with a shift kit. A bit stubborn this morning with frost on Ye pumpkin. Anyone have problems with their TPS causing delayed shifts? Maybe it's a Trans speed sensor causing this. Might need to cover that radiator to keep the temps up. Upgraded A/C box's heater worked good.

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have not had this problem. I used to ALWAYS take any truck I had with an Allison to an Allison dealer for its first servicing. They would do the typical servicing (getting rid of the 15W40 for their recommended ATF fluid) and also check it over, adjusting the shift points and anything else needed. I always was very satisfied with the investment. Recently, I have not done it mainly because my trucks have shifted properly and I have been lazy, to be honest. I still think having an expert check over the transmission for the first time is a good idea.

Ronmar

On an A0, Yes TPS issues will cause the trans to revert to min/max RPM gear shifting. Its easy enough to check with an ohm meter. It has 3 wires. The outer 2, pins A and C measure across the resistor and should read 9K-15KOhms. the center wire(pinB) varies resistance between either A or C and should mesure between 500ohms and the resistance measured across A and C when the wiper/cable end is moved from one end to the other. This variable resistance Should be smooth transition with actuator cable movement.

The TCU only really looks for readings that exceed its stored minimum(idle) and maximum(full throttle) positions Before it stores a fault code. If it is stuck in between those two places, it won’t throw a fault for this.

if it checks out with an ohm meter, you can tell the transmission controller to relearn the 0-100% throttle positions and the shift points. You first want to insure that the throttle pedal fully rotates the governor linkage between the idle and high speed stop screws.

once TPS resistance and idle to full throttle governor linkage is confirmed, run the truck to get it fully warmed up Then shut down. Cycle the power sw on until you get a trans controller display indication then switch off. Repeat this cycle 5 times, then on the 6th power on, the shift points and throttle info will be cleared. Fully depress and release the throttle pedal once or twice to store the new idle and 100% throttle position Info. Then push the start button and drive it thru all the gear ranges several times to relearn the shift points…

Last edited:

Reworked LMTV

On an A0, Yes TPS issues will cause the trans to revert to min/max RPM gear shifting. Its easy enough to check with an ohm meter. It has 3 wires. The outer 2, pins A and C measure across the resistor and should read 9K-15KOhms. the center wire(pinB) varies resistance between either A or C and should mesure between 500ohms and the resistance measured across A and C when the wiper/cable end is moved from one end to the other. This variable resistance Should be smooth.

The TCU only really looks for readings that exceed its stored minimum(idle) and maximum(full throttle) positions Before it stores a fault code. If it is stuck in between those two places, it won’t throw a fault for this.

if it checks out with an ohm meter, you can tell the transmission controller to relearn the 0-100% throttle positions and the shift points. You first want to insure that the throttle pedal fully rotates the governor linkage between the idle and high speed stop screws.

once TPS resistance and idle to full throttle governor linkage is confirmed, run the truck to get it fully warmed up Then shut down. Cycle the power sw on until you get a trans controller display indication then switch off. Repeat this cycle 5 times, then on the 6th power on, the shift points and throttle info will be cleared. Fully depress and release the throttle pedal once or twice to store the new idle and 100% throttle position Info. Then push the start button and drive it thru all the gear ranges several times to relearn the shift points…
Thank you! This will help a lot of us.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks