• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone have code inspection issues with their MEP's?

Ratch

I know a few of you have had them installed and inspected with no issues, just wondering if anyone has had one rejected by an inspector for no emergency stop, or any other reason they came up with.
I just found out I definitely need a permit for permanent install, and I have lots of things I don't want my code inspector seeing. Nothing illegal or that I know is violating code, but my code enforcement officer is pretty ridiculous, so I don't want something stupid like a 48.5" retaining wall or new pool filter with an incorrect plumbing fitting being places for testicular breakage. I called with a simple permit question right after I moved in, and made the mistake of leaving my name on the message; the next day, he was all over my property and called me back to answer my question later.

DeucesWild11

Sounds like my old neighborhood.. Can you rig up some wheels or casters to it? Then it wound't be "permanent" Then you could put it up on 4x4's when running so it doesn't move.. Sounds like you may need to get a little "creative"..

Isaac-1

People have ran into issues in the past, mostly relating to things like lack of UL listing, or lack of other similar endorsements, and compliance statements. The easiest solution may be to get the transfer switch installed with a 50 amp twist lock, or 60 amp pin and sleeve connector that would allow you to connect a "portable" generator when needed. (amperage assuming MEP-003 at the largest)

steelypip

I concur. If you know your code inspector is probably going to give you grief, wire it to code (so you're actually safe and don't have to lie to your insurance company) but set it up as a 'portable' or 'temporary' installation. Casters and a twist-lock would seem sufficient.

If it's an 002 or 003, it's about as portable as a hod of bricks, but it's still technically not a permanent installation.

quickfarms

If you have a newer panel with at least two open spaces next to the main breaker you can probably install an interlock kit cheaper and easier than the transfer switch. They only catch is you should get an electrical permit, or have a licensed electrician install it.

rustystud

If you want no troubles then get the "NEC 2014 Handbook" . This is the law of the land. NEC stands for National Electrical Code . If the inspector wants to be an ass, then you can have him "show you" in the NEC book what you need to do. Of course since you did everything according to the code, you have already done everything properly and now he knows that YOU know he is full of it ! I had this happen to me. Once I showed him the code book he shut up, signed me off and left.

PeterD

If you want no troubles then get the "NEC 2014 Handbook" . This is the law of the land. NEC stands for National Electrical Code ...
Basically, this is the best answer. However find out what year of code your location is using, they may not have adopted 2014 yet, and that may make a difference.

steelypip

Basically, this is the best answer. However find out what year of code your location is using, they may not have adopted 2014 yet, and that may make a difference.
Yep, here in VA the last edition is still the law of the land, for instance. It mattered when I was doing some exterior wiring last year.

Korgoth1

I don't see how any of you guys are getting anything signed off on, they have a tag on them saying exempt from epa under ndaa...just sayin.

Isaac-1

What tag is this, which model? If such a tag is on some models I doubt most electrical inspectors would care, under the category of someone elses problem.

Landbarger

I don't see how any of you guys are getting anything signed off on, they have a tag on them saying exempt from epa under ndaa...just sayin.
This sounds familiar but I can't picture where it is on my gen. But do generator emissions fall within the purview of a building inspector's authority? I wouldn't be surprised either way, but then I've go zero experience working with one in a residential setting.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
I know they have sign off on the electrical wiring and such, but, I was not aware of any EPA compliance. Well, except Kalifornia.
mep803a epa exempt.jpg
Mep-803A Exemption

rustystud

Howdy,
I know they have sign off on the electrical wiring and such, but, I was not aware of any EPA compliance. Well, except Kalifornia.
View attachment 598424
Mep-803A Exemption
I agree. I've never heard of meeting any EPA standards here in Washington YET ! This is a pretty "lets regulate the life out of you" state too . Mostly our inspectors just want to make sure you "paid" the proper "Fee" ! Though they can be real A$$'s if they choose to be. That's why I always have the Code Book handy !

dangier

Had nothing but good experience with our electrical inspector here in VA., during my house 1200 square foot addition and generator installation. Cursory look-see of everything and was mainly interested in the main power panel breaker interlock installation and operation.

(Page County-VA)

Last edited:

Glockfan

I received no grief whatsoever having my county inspector bless the perminant install of my 803. Since I pulled a permit, I was required to install interconnected smoke detectors in all of the bedrooms and drive a second ground rod. These were the only two gigs I received. Overall, painless.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks