• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone Have This Setup: 33x10.5x15s on Black Rock 942 Wheels???

LT67

So, I'm fixing to purchase a full set of wheels and tires and just wondering if anyone has this setup. These will be going on a 1984 M1009 that will probably get the Tuff Country 3" EZ Ride Lift with SX8000 shocks...but still need to research it some. Your feedback is always welcome.

- BFG 33x10.5x15 Mud-Terrains on...
- Black Rock 942 Wheels (Type D, Steel, Matte Black, 15 in. x 8.0 in., 6 x 5.50 in. Bolt Circle, 3.750 in. Backspace)

I have those tires mounted on the factory 15x8 wheels on my K10.... you won't need a lift. They will never rub the fenders.

Csm Davis

bgekky3, thanks for the reply. Why the desire to go to 35's and then 37's? Since I'm going to do a 3-4" lift, I should be good for 33s or 35s. Any issues with yours?
Dao a lot of all of this is according to what you plan on doing with the truck. If you are going to be mostly street and light off-road, I would go no bigger than 33 and 2" of lift and grab a '88 and up 10 bolt rear to up grade when you find a great deal on one.
If you are like me and know you can't control you right foot, save your money and go with tons front and rear and 4-6" lift and 37" tires and all the upgrades that are needed for that at one time. It will save you money to gather the upgrades and not piece it together on the ten bolts breaking things as you go, myself and others have been down that road and paved it for you. Even if you want to make a mall crawler I don't think it is wise to go over 33 on 10 bolts.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

dao

Bighorn, sorry I've been extremely busy. Thank you for sharing your experience and story. Very good info. I'm definitely going to start off with 33's. I just don't want to stress everything from the start, plus only time will tell how my son and I will use the truck and how often we get the chance to offroad. I talked to a local shop here in San Antonio, very nice guys at Full Force Offroad & Performance (FFO&P). No matter what kit I decide to use, I'll probably let them tackle the labor. They are recommending a Rough Country (RC) 4" lift. I've also talked briefly with Chris at Off Road Design (ORD). He likes the Tuff Country (TC)...but also discussed the benefits of their inhouse leafs that use roughly 10 individual springs. The price jump from RC to TC was minor, but from TC to ORD, the jump was huge. Chris and I also discussed using longer brake lines, frame brace for steering, sway bar disconnect, 2" drop Pitman arm, extended shock mounts, shackle flip, Bilstein shocks and associated minor stuff. One thing I forgot to bring up was crossover steering. I've researched it here quite a bit and see that it is recommended however I can't seem to locate a message/posts that discusses exactly why it is needed and how it works...just that it is beneficial and many folks like it. Off the cuff, I think I will start with the TC lift due to the huge leap in cost for the ORD springs. I'm also beginning to question going a full 4 inches. I don't want the truck to look out of balance. I'm pondering whether a 2" or 3" maybe more suited to the 33" tires.

Last edited:

dao

One change, I think I've decided I like these wheels instead:

Black Rock Series 997 Type 8 Matte Black 15 in. x 8 in., Steel, 6 x 5.50 in. Bolt Circle, 3.75 in. Backspace

The round holes are just more appealing.

Attachments

Bighorn

One change, I think I've decided I like these wheels instead:

Black Rock Series 997 Type 8 Matte Black 15 in. x 8 in., Steel, 6 x 5.50 in. Bolt Circle, 3.75 in. Backspace

The round holes are just more appealing.
Here are my two rigs;
A 1986 M1009 stock height, stock wheels, 31 10.5 15 tires.
A 1976 K5 Blazer stock height, 15x8 Daytona steel rims, 33 10.5 15 BFG KM2's (yes, 10.5 wide)

View attachment 700746View attachment 700747View attachment 700748View attachment 700749

That 1976 K5 is at stock height and weighs 5,200 lbs measured at the scale at the dump.
The corners of the fenders were rusted to heck so I just cut em out.

The M1009 has 31's on stock rims at stock height.
Now I could swap those 33's right on over to the M1009.
Better yet, swap the 12 bolt and Dana 44 with 3.73's and lockers right over to the M1009.
But I am still in the honeymoon phase with the M1009.
Plenty of other things need attention first to make it as reliable as my 1976.
In fact, the M1009 may stay just like it is but rebuild everything except the gov loc rear.. that thing is outta there by next summer.
I have no intention of lifting either rig.
To each their own.

LT67

Bighorn, sorry I've been extremely busy. Thank you for sharing your experience and story. Very good info. I'm definitely going to start off with 33's. I just don't want to stress everything from the start, plus only time will tell how my son and I will use the truck and how often we get the chance to offroad. I talked to a local shop here in San Antonio, very nice guys at Full Force Offroad & Performance (FFO&P). No matter what kit I decide to use, I'll probably let them tackle the labor. They are recommending a Rough Country (RC) 4" lift. I've also talked briefly with Chris at Off Road Design (ORD). He likes the Tuff Country (TC)...but also discussed the benefits of their inhouse leafs that use roughly 10 individual springs. The price jump from RC to TC was minor, but from TC to ORD, the jump was huge. Chris and I also discussed using longer brake lines, frame brace for steering, sway bar disconnect, 2" drop Pitman arm, extended shock mounts, shackle flip, Bilstein shocks and associated minor stuff. One thing I forgot to bring up was crossover steering. I've researched it here quite a bit and see that it is recommended however I can't seem to locate a message/posts that discusses exactly why it is needed and how it works...just that it is beneficial and many folks like it. Off the cuff, I think I will start with the TC lift due to the huge leap in cost for the ORD springs. I'm also beginning to question going a full 4 inches. I don't want the truck to look out of balance. I'm pondering whether a 2" or 3" maybe more suited to the 33" tires.
If you're planning on still using 33x10.5x15 tires, a lift kit is wasted $$$$. I can tell you from personal experience that even on a factory suspension with sagging springs, you will have zero rubbing on any terrain. A 33x10.5x15 fills the wheel wells quite nicely and the road ride is outstanding.