• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone in Colorado that can help me out here? Axle boots $#%

DrFoster

I wanted to know if anyone locally in the Denver area can give me a hand with some tricky front axle ball joint boots... I have put them on twice now, and I can't get them to stay put, so I'm wondering if I can "pay" (read: beer or cash or food or whatever) to come on over one afternoon and help me out... I must be missing something, and shit I know it isn't surgery, but I don't know what I am missing, and am very confused.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Anyone in Colorado that can help me out here? Axle boots

Perhaps with pictures and a more detailed explanation of the problem many more of us can help. Some surgical procedures are simple. :)

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Is it pulling off the inner or outer groove?

DrFoster

The problem is that it is pulling off of the smaller groove, not when I'm trying to repair them, but only when I drive them... so it is always a suprise and a mess to find out that they come off. I'll review the article you posted and see if that helps, then post back.

DrFoster

reviewed the article and the fantastic post!

I'll give it a go again, and then call in the reinforcements (be prepared for a call Bob, Jim, or Randy) if it does not work out, HAHA, as well as post back here for an update and in the original "boot thread" with any follow-ups.

breelanr

Robert,
I can stop by Weds, Thurs or Fri afternoon. Or this weekend if that will not work. I'll give you a call.
Ray
720-203-4063

houdel

Important point - The clamps have to be installed at the TOP of the axle housing, not at the front as the pic in the TM shows. If the inner clamp is at the front (or rear) of the housing, the knuckle will push the clamp (and boot) off the housing. Been there, done that. Three times before I got it right!

DrFoster

The clamps could have been my folley, I've re-installed them again, and we will see how things go. Unfortunately, all the mileage I've been able to put on since the install has been down the street to my parking space for it... :eek:(

Important steps that I have now memorized:

Remove Wheel
Remove joint guard held in place by the two front-most bolts over the king-pin and the two below it.
--Note, the rear bolts are not required to be removed.
--also note, this CAN be done without removing the wheel and guard but it is a SERIOUS pain in the ass to do, and I'll never do it like that again
have beer
remove old boots and clamps
have beer
clean, re-pack everything
put the inner boot section into the CLEAN and grease-free slot and clamp it, ensuring the clamp locking nut and bolt are at the top, and the nylock nut is facing forward.
Note, the word "TOP" and make sure it is actually on top
Silicone the zipper, let dry and leave a small, light-weight clamp on the boot to keep it weighted and pulled free of the grease
Have beer, play x-box 360
After the silicone dries, install outer clamp, again, nylock nut forward and on top
Clean 10 lbs of grease off the inside of the wheels, axles, yourself
beer me
install guard, wheel
swear and cuss that you forgot your digital camera to document the work

Pretty simple process actually, but if you haven't done them before, you'll have a hell of a time unless you have the grooves cleaned and dried, the wheel and guard removed, and most especially the right tools:

Pliers
Vice Grips
Phillips and flat blade screw drivers
deep socket matching the nylock nuts on the clamps or a cresent wrench
1-1/2" impact socket on a 3/4" driver
3/4" socket on a 3" extension 1/2" drive
1 small can of grease for each ball joint
1 roll of those blue shop towels
oil & grease emlusifier

David_4x4

I did my boots this past weekend. Took about 4 hrs being my first time. But definately making the grooves as clean as possible is a definate help. Dads extra hands also helped in guiding the boot on etc. It would have been nice to have gotten the wheels off. But my impact gun wasnt gonna break the lugnuts and I didnt have a big enough breaker bar.

I feel when I have to do these again whenever it is, it'll be much smoother and much easier.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks