• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone install A/C like this yet?

MarcusOReallyus

I am going to try a "free Standing" external ducted 10,000 BTU heat pump (900 watts) behind the center console (12w:14d:28h), ducted to the floor for exhaust. 2750 watt inverter 24volts.

A word of advice on inverters - don't go cheap.

Buy quality, and buy BIG. Figure how big it needs to be, and buy at least double that size.

Otherwise you'll be replacing it way sooner than you think!

hunderliggur

A word of advice on inverters - don't go cheap.

Buy quality, and buy BIG. Figure how big it needs to be, and buy at least double that size.

Otherwise you'll be replacing it way sooner than you think!
I actually ended up with a 2750W inverter and an AC unit that runs at 800W. I mounted the inverter on top of the right whell well and connected to the radio buss. The ACis where the spare was and the exhaust is through the side panel and uses the separation between the inner and outer panels for exhaust.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368847498.875122.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1368847523.541976.jpg I have been using it the last two days and it is working well. Plus I have an outlet for power tools if needed.

allenhillview

Finished install last Mon. everything works as should, sorry about a better build thread but this is all I could muster at this time. I had 100+ hours in this A/C , it was time consuming but well worth it. A few pics to seal the deal.

Attachments

Keith_J

The only issue I can see is running the compressor off a single belt. At certain times, the load can exceed the power capacity of the belt meaning the belt lifespan is drastically shortened at proper tension. But there just isn't enough room to run a standard belt while maintaining the dual alternator setup.

ducer

Running a single belt should not be a problem, he11 GM did it for decades. :shock: The newer generation a/c compressors take even less horsepower to run.

Denny

allenhillview

The only issue I can see is running the compressor off a single belt. At certain times, the load can exceed the power capacity of the belt meaning the belt lifespan is drastically shortened at proper tension. But there just isn't enough room to run a standard belt while maintaining the dual alternator setup.
There're running them all (most) with the single belt (Sanden) the extra groove is for engine alignment, I looked at; at least 1000 Air Conditioning Systems all across eastern United States, I did what needed to be done. The system is made in San Antonio call them and see what there answer is, thanks for input, its the first Vintage I saw in any 1008 pickup that looks decent and comes with a five year warranty.

Last edited:

FatBuddhaBoo

I actually ended up with a 2750W inverter and an AC unit that runs at 800W. I mounted the inverter on top of the right whell well and connected to the radio buss. The ACis where the spare was and the exhaust is through the side panel and uses the separation between the inner and outer panels for exhaust. I have been using it the last two days and it is working well. Plus I have an outlet for power tools if needed.
Who is the manufacturer and where did you get your a/c unit?

Thanks.

RiceBurnerBrian

AllenHill, excellent post on how you installed your A/C system. It looks fantastic and that is something i want to do in the future with my M1009. Thanks for posting all those great pics!

I actually ended up with a 2750W inverter and an AC unit that runs at 800W. I mounted the inverter on top of the right whell well and connected to the radio buss. The ACis where the spare was and the exhaust is through the side panel and uses the separation between the inner and outer panels for exhaust.View attachment 428858View attachment 428859 I have been using it the last two days and it is working well. Plus I have an outlet for power tools if needed.
hunderliggur,
I never considered this, but I have a few inverters hanging around (24v) and a 12v from a semi. I'm going to give this a try... Are you using 12v or 24v? How has this setup been holding up? The white hose... is that air in or is that a drain?

allenhillview, thanks for the pictures. definitely on the list to do

Last edited:

hunderliggur

24V inverter. The large hose is hot exhaust. The system definitely takes the edge off. I still need to add a 45 degree deflector to get the forced air immediately forward.

WARWAG

I want to Thank ALLENHILLVIEW for his excellent install pics. I have never seen a nicer install of an A/C system period. Your work is exceptional. Thank you.

Everyone else thank you for posting as well. We now have several different ideas on how to install some type of A/C system in our CUCVs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks