• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone install A/C like this yet?

rhinob

Here we go....These photos are not intended to be an installation manual attachment, just some quick documentation of what was done. All in all, the system is nice. The documentation leaves a little to be desired, but it's adequate. Since the A/C hoses are designed to be cut to length and then the ends crimped on, I just used what they provided as a template for a nice set of Parker hoses and ends to be assembled at the local Cauliflower hose shop. The quality difference is noticeable but probably not critical. The voltmeter required movement, and I had already installed an oil pressure and coolant temp gauge, so they were remoted to the dash in a Mud UK system that worked pretty well. Cutting the dashboard itself was required. Cutting the dash reinforcement was also required to accommodate the vent in the center. Keep in mind that I own an auto shop with tools, talent, and supplies on hand for most anything that needed to be done with this install. That said, it still took about 15 hours to do it.....and to do it right. We. Shall. See....how it performs with heat, but I can tell you it went COLD instantly, and the blower has some serious force behind it. All with only 1.6 lbs. of R-134. That's what it has in it for now - not sure if that's all it will need - but overall, the system is pretty small as far as material volume is concerned.

Questions?

Attachments

ssdvc

Nice set up. Really like that triple gauge holder on top of the dash. Do you have a part number or know where you purchased it.

Skinny

I've put those gauge pods in Defender rigs, they are nice but more expensive than sourcing one locally. If you go on Jegs, Amazon, or Fleabay, you will find plenty of universal pods between $10 to $40.

I dig the spot, I want to add ECT, oil pressure, and a tach on a center pod. Small matching diesel tachs are hard to find. Most are oversized yo yo racing tachs that belong in the Fast and Furious movies and not my Cuck Vee :)

rhinob

I've put those gauge pods in Defender rigs, they are nice but more expensive than sourcing one locally. If you go on Jegs, Amazon, or Fleabay, you will find plenty of universal pods between $10 to $40.

I dig the spot, I want to add ECT, oil pressure, and a tach on a center pod. Small matching diesel tachs are hard to find. Most are oversized yo yo racing tachs that belong in the Fast and Furious movies and not my Cuck Vee :)
Yes - they're not cheap, but they quality is very good. It doesn't hold oil of any kind, so it's ok to buy from the UK on this. :)

Skinny

LOL...fair enough! I put this British made gauge pod on my dash and now the dash is dripping oil on my floorboard.

They are nice and the blank face is great for customizing. I would run all the gauges for a diesel swap in a D90 or air locker switches when doing locker installs in those pods.

Chip Chip

rhinob

LOL...fair enough! I put this British made gauge pod on my dash and now the dash is dripping oil on my floorboard.

They are nice and the blank face is great for customizing. I would run all the gauges for a diesel swap in a D90 or air locker switches when doing locker installs in those pods.

Chip Chip
Yep - we put them in Defenders and DII's, believe it our not. They're quite versatile.

Joe Prepper

Me and a buddy purchased 2 of these kits. My a/c guy took at look at the parts and "instructions" and said come back in the winter :) I think we are going to tackle it ourselves...or at least try. I wanted to know if you kept the hose length info. I assume yours would be the same as mine since mounting is the same. That way i can have some hoses crimped. Of course I could wait and measure after everything is in place..............

allenhillview

Me and a buddy purchased 2 of these kits. My a/c guy took at look at the parts and "instructions" and said come back in the winter :) I think we are going to tackle it ourselves...or at least try. I wanted to know if you kept the hose length info. I assume yours would be the same as mine since mounting is the same. That way i can have some hoses crimped. Of course I could wait and measure after everything is in place..............
Hey Joe, Just leave till the end, here is why, the kit comes with fill and vacuum ports that go in the hose ends, the ports to fill and vacuum will be in the way of your battery tray, get a different one, just like what they shipped but angled differently its a 180 degree and 120 degree I think. Your local A/C shop will have them or look in the Vintage catalog they ship to your door.

rhinob

I did not keep any hose information.

I suggest putting your A/C components in place with all holes completed, etc. Run the hoses and fittings that come with the kit. Cut the hoses as necessary, position the ends as needed (angle of the end on the hose matters), then remove them all, secure the ends with tape, then take them to a local hose shop have them make the exact hoses using high-quality Parker hose and ends. This is exactly what I did and it works great. Don't skimp. A/C diagnostic work is no fun.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks