• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone Install A Regular Receiver Hitch on an HMMWV??

DatGuyC

I'm in the middle of putting one on my m998. You will need an airlift bumper if you want to use a stock hitch off a h1, or you could make something custom.

DatGuyC

Alright I'll explain it here then also. Basically there are 2 styles of hitches for the h1, an early style and a late style. The late style hitch seems to be much more sturdy so that's what I went with and what I ordered the parts for. The late style hitch looks like this:
2015080595141441-1.jpg

There are 4 brackets needed to attach a late style h1 hitch to the hmmwv. The first 2 attach from the ends of the hitch to the outer bumper brackets, part numbers 6007905 and 6007913 along with 2 mounting blocks part number 6006928. It seems that the h1 outer bumper brackets have holes in them for the hitch mounts where as the hmmwv outer bumper brackets just have one large hole in the bottom, I haven't had a chance to see how the brackets match up with that large hole or if I need to drill some more.
IMG_0267.jpg

The Other two brackets attach the arms of the hitch to the cross member, part numbers 6007693 and 6007694.
starter_008.JPG

Last edited:

DatGuyC

You know, that never actually occurred to me haha. Isn't the point of buying a hmmwv to see how many accessories you can fit on it at one time anyways though? :-D

goldneagle

You know, that never actually occurred to me haha. Isn't the point of buying a hmmwv to see how many accessories you can fit on it at one time anyways though? :-D
Seems like it would be cheaper and easier to swap out the existing receiver (pintle).

DatGuyC

It would definitely be cheaper, and just a bit easier. The only real advantage the h1 hitch has is that it was designed to accommodate the auxiliary fuel tank they have, so if someone ever wanted to got that rout they wouldn't have to change anything.

Last edited:

KansasBobcat

My 94 H1 has a "Draw-tite" hitch bolted to airlift bumper and inner braces, Looks like as easy installation. You can remount your pintle above the receiver and have both mounts in place. I agree it is probably not as strong as later H1 hitch.

KansasBobcat

My 94 H1 has a "Draw-tite" hitch bolted to airlift bumper and inner braces, Looks like as easy installation. You can remount your pintle above the receiver and have both mounts in place. I agree it is probably not as strong as later H1 hitch.
I shoud have added: the Draw-tite hitch does not have the large hole required to mount the military pintle. I have a 4 bolt pintle mounted. I thought about making a hole but there is a warning sticker on the hitch: do not cut or weld.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks