• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone interested in Air Locking Diffs for the deuce?

Dieselsmoke

Hmm, guess I'll have to call ARB and see what my cost would be. If it's decent then maybe we can do a group buy on here and save some $$

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh to have an extra $4200. I'd buy 6 of them. Matt, they should be as strong as the M621 series axles. Problem with the 621 axles is they require a one off axle on one side. The air cylinder actually locks the axle to the carrier on the outside rather than within the differential. DO some comparison shopping. 621 axles have been around a thousand ea but that is for a complete new axle assy, The estimate on the ARB is around $700 and the Detroit is around $400. Since money is an object I might swing towards the Detroits. Could put one in each truck for not much more than one air locker. Here's where the ARB will shine. Very few if any of the 621 front axles made it back to the US. An airlock front with a competent operator would be a great asset. For those spending the bucks, I'm pretty sure that White Owl has the ganged air switches the 621s used. In the 621 configuration the panel looked like 3 air shift transfer levers ganged together. One operated the air shift case, one operated the air lock front and the last operated the pair of air lock rears. Both rears were locked together.

M1075

The M1075 has air controlled lockers (both interaxle and intraaxle) in addition to air controlled transfer lock. Would be nice to have on a duece!

FSBruva

Problem with the 621 axles is they require a one off axle on one side. The air cylinder actually locks the axle to the carrier on the outside rather than within the differential.
What do you mean, Kenny?

Yes, White Owl has the 621 axles, 1K for a rear, 1.5K for the front. The man I spoke to said that the differential housings on the 621 are different, and to modify an existing diff to be airlock using the guts from a 621 axle would be very difficult.

Matt

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Difficult is very right. I know one guy who did it. The way it works is the outside area of the carriers (outside the bearing) is splined. the axle shaft has a second set of splines out there. There is a sliding collar on that second set of splines and when the air cylinder is actuated, the collar slides over the splines on the carrier. This locks that axle to the carrier which immobilizes the spider gears. It's ingenious really. How about a couple of pics? Sorry, only have one of the inside but it gives you an idea. (wont find these pics everywhere)

Attachments

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mercy! My wish bone is killing ME!! I was planning on a DL for the middle axle, but if ARB starts making them, I'm good for 3. The off road capibility will be like night and day. Kenny, does white owl have a lot of these?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They had 6 or 8 the last I knew. When I talked to George Kivett he wasn't aware that fronts had been made. I subsequently heard that George bought a significant quantity and all remaing parts for them but I have no idea of the numbers. Apparently this is true because Matt's post indicated that he was selling fronts.

Trango

Ok, guys, if you are solid on your demand for lockers, you need to email that gentleman from ARB, state your application, and be prepared to pay up front. This is not an "If, Maybe" show of hands... it's an "When, YES!" survey. Just saying, if you're not replying to Tim, your voice is likely not being heard.

By the way, I should be getting my ouverson engineering alloy front shafts today via the brown truck. If I weren't so busy at work, as well as tired from last night's date, I'd probably be more super fired up.

spicergear

There's a chance my company will be looking into making lockers for the Rockwells. We make MANY different types. I'll post up when I know more...Obviously it'll be a while-

area52

spicergear said:
There's a chance my company will be looking into making lockers for the Rockwells. We make MANY different types. I'll post up when I know more...Obviously it'll be a while-
Competition is always good! Especially for the buyers!!

rizzo

ARB air lockers for Rockwell double reduction axles

This is what I know about the locker situation.

ARB will build an air locker for the 2.5 ton axle if they can get enough serious inquiry's. the price will be $800 to $1000 depending on how many orders they have.
Tim Lund is compiling a e-mail list of interested parties. When they start production he will contact you for a deposit.
If you are serious about a locker email Tim Lund( tlund@arbusa.com ) with pictures of your trucks.
He has about 30 sets sold and needs another 35-45 sets be for they will start production.

I know this is more $ than the Detroit locker, but some prefer to have open diffs on the road. I suppose that would be the main advantage.

rizzo

does anyone know the size difference in the actual locker between a 5 ton and 2.5 ton? Tim from ARB says that if they are close they will make the 5 ton mold and grind it down a little more to fit a 2.5 ton.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks