• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone know a great shop in SoCal for service?

Gamble

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good shop in Southern California. I want to have a thorough initial inspection done when this truck is finally released and I receive it. I'd like to send it to RW but he's way up North. Any recommendations?

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is your time to shine. It is warm weather time and you can change your fluids and crawl over and under the truck to learn about it.

You need to swap fluids. You need to change filters. You need to drive it to feel for shakes and shimmies and grumbles, in order to feel out the lumps and bumps.

You need to turn the lights and electrics on and off and walk around the rig. You need to learn how to use the 3 lever light switch. You need to see if the flashers work and the self release mechanism works. You need to see if she is misaligned and out of camber. You need to look at the changed fluids for signs of metal in the oil and tranny fluid and signs of oil in the radiator fluid.

You need to jack up the front and feel for loose tie rods and ball joints idler arms and such.

You need to look for leaks, then steam clean the engine and again look for leaks.

You need to see if she shifts in and out of all gears.

You need to ensure the E-brake works.

You need to look at the color of the exhaust.

You need to see if the fan engages and disengages.

Read my thread. Read JuanPrado's thread. Read the "What have you done lately" thread. Read any thread. Its all DIY.

YOU wanted an FMV. Now you got one.

This is what it is to own a FMV. Lots of DIY.

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good shop in Southern California. I want to have a thorough initial inspection done when this truck is finally released and I receive it. I'd like to send it to RW but he's way up North. Any recommendations?
we pay shipping from Yermo/Barstow to the shop...mind you, that’s not to just get the oil changed, that’s for a complete A,B,C Service, replacement of all worn, defective, wheathred Parts, new WS glass, tailgate, cleaning, road test, etc...
we even reactivate the red dot AC...

Gamble

This is your time to shine. It is warm weather time and you can change your fluids and crawl over and under the truck to learn about it.

You need to swap fluids. You need to change filters. You need to drive it to feel for shakes and shimmies and grumbles, in order to feel out the lumps and bumps.

You need to turn the lights and electrics on and off and walk around the rig. You need to learn how to use the 3 lever light switch. You need to see if the flashers work and the self release mechanism works. You need to see if she is misaligned and out of camber. You need to look at the changed fluids for signs of metal in the oil and tranny fluid and signs of oil in the radiator fluid.

You need to jack up the front and feel for loose tie rods and ball joints idler arms and such.

You need to look for leaks, then steam clean the engine and again look for leaks.

You need to see if she shifts in and out of all gears.

You need to ensure the E-brake works.

You need to look at the color of the exhaust.

You need to see if the fan engages and disengages.

Read my thread. Read JuanPrado's thread. Read the "What have you done lately" thread. Read any thread. Its all DIY.

YOU wanted an FMV. Now you got one.

This is what it is to own a FMV. Lots of DIY.
While I appreciate this and this is something that I will do, I need an initial inspection from an experienced eye making sure I do t have a throttle that sticks or faulty brakes etc. The rest I will pick up in time. I've worked on plenty of cars but I still want the eye of someone who does this daybinand day out on these vehicles.

Gamble

we pay shipping from Yermo/Barstow to the shop...mind you, that’s not to just get the oil changed, that’s for a complete A,B,C Service, replacement of all worn, defective, wheathred Parts, new WS glass, tailgate, cleaning, road test, etc...
we even reactivate the red dot AC...
Thanks RW. This vehicle is coming from GA. I also have a truckload of parts already to install such as windshield, frame, battery cover, mirrors, tires, mushroom top, and more. I'd have to drive up to you and meet the shipper at your shop.

Who do you use for shipping? UShip or your own in-house people.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks RW. This vehicle is coming from GA. I also have a truckload of parts already to install such as windshield, frame, battery cover, mirrors, tires, mushroom top, and more. I'd have to drive up to you and meet the shipper at your shop.

Who do you use for shipping? UShip or your own in-house people.
i have a driver out of LA that hauls all my stuff on the west coast, I also now have a driver who hauls from Albany GA to my shop, I have an M1152 that will be here tuesday.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks