• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ANYONE know what this is?

cobra

This is on a m1010 canadian truck. i have no idea what it does. its a knob, goes left center and right. and under it it has a box. any ideas, because i don't have any.. Thanks... if you need more info, ask away

Attachments

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: ANY know what this is?

What's inside the box??? :wink:

Seriously, though. Do any wires/etc run into the box? Where is is mounted, exactly?

cobra

Re: RE: ANY know what this is?

CUCVFAN said:
What's inside the box??? :wink:

Seriously, though. Do any wires/etc run into the box? Where is is mounted, exactly?
So i went for a look and did some more prodding and poking around, and there is wire, like a metal gas line, and a bunch of relays. BTW this knobby thingamajigy is on the drivers side floor, about a foot length away from the parking\emergency brake.

mangus580

RE: Re: RE: ANY know what this is?

does your truck have dual tanks? Maybe its a military dual tank switch? or... maybe some sort of battery switch?

citizensoldier

That switch is a master switch used for battery cut off in tracked vehicles mostly. What they have it hooked to is anybodys guess but I bet it cuts power from the battery to the ignition. Should break the ground wire if they did it right.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

That's exactly what it is. Alot of the older county and trash trucks I see have the same switch.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Well, out here, Lou's Light House. Where you are, A place that deals in class 8 truck lighting. NAPA should be able to get them.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter

For mine they just used a Master power switch just like the one in the trucks dash. Does a great job on saving the batteries.

James G.

citizensoldier

The one in the picture is a specific military one. But you can like others have mentioned get aftermarket or civi type switches. I like to use military stuff if I can but thats just me. Those switches can be found from time to time on ebay or at M swap meets. I was seeing them all over the place and then when I needed one for my M37 I couldnt find one anywhere. Eventualy found one at the Findlay Ohio show.. Took me a year...

citizensoldier

Just wanted to ad like Runblecat said it saves on batteries. My fear was a kid jumping in my truck and hitting the starter button with it in gear and running someone over or smashing something. So I hid the switch and kill the whole truck when its parked at shows or wherever. Onother reason is with some of the old trucks with bad wiring you could come out to a pile of smoldering rubble one morning if you didnt...

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

This comming Sun. is the monthly MVCC meeting. I'll look.

cobra

Here is the pic from the underside of the M1010. i took of the box that was around it, and the tube appears to be for venting???? not quite sure. played with the switch, and it didn't cut power to the ignitions, did nothing at all, that i know off.

Thanks all for your replys

Attachments

ojsdna744

Re: RE: Re: RE: ANY know what this is?

mangus580 said:
I would like to find a nice military one for my deuce...
Aye, I've got one under the front seat in mine. As mentioned above, I've got kids and the sometimes envision themselves driving my "Old Glory" around. The battery switch helps me rest easy when they're up in the cab and pretending to drive. They don't really mess with anything, but I'd hate to be standing in front of that thing when/if they punched the starter button! :shock:

amanco

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: ANY know what this is?

The second photo says it all. Definitly a kill switch, looks like by the 14 or16ga wire some one hooked a light up to it or somthing. Maybe goes to a selinoid? Follow thoes wires and see where they go. They definitly go to the answer!

interesting...

when i first bought my m-1010,i had a switch in exactly the same location...only they used a hi-lo light switch like you would use for hi beams on an older truck.
traced the wires,but they went no-where.

the wiring on yours is to light to directly be a cut-off for the batteries...probly going to a relay under the dash or under hood.I wonder what they were used for...thought mine was unique in this respect.must be a canadian thing.

the only thing that rings a bell,is the siren...i removed mine.can sirens be switched directly,or do they need some sort of relay?there was no switch of any kind anywhere on my truck to switch the siren...maybe thats it.