• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone know what this mount is for?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe that is right. That mount might generate some interest as I've heard of folks looking for them.

ONTOS66

I've never seen one, but have seen references to mounting an NBC detector on the passenger floorboard. This might be for a chemical alarm, or something of that sort. Definitely haven't seen anything like that for a radio. Especially in a M1009. Anyone up on chemical alarms and such?

Crazyguyla

The mount is for the remote chemical agent alarm. It's actually the base for the mount. I'll see if I can find a picture of the actual mount

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a pic of the chemical agent alarm. Murphy's Surplus Warehouse in CA has them for $90 in really nice shape if you want one for your restoration...

Attachments

Michael

I have one of those. If anyone has a TM I would like one. I was told this particular model didn't see much use.

AJMBLAZER

All of the trucks have the rails on the floorboards for that setup even if they don't have the whole mount IRWFO's truck has. I didn't know it was there until I pulled the vinyl matting back.

Unfortunately someone had tried to remove the rails and torn a small hole in the floorboard when they twisted one rail off... aua They gave up and left the other rail after that.

kentuckycucv

i have one in my truck... There is a sticker on it that says something about a NBC detector. Its kind of in the way but i dont know if I should take it out, or buy a NBC detector

KyCUCVs

The mount is for the M8 or M8A1 Chemical alarm. The M8 alarm consist of the M42 alarm unit and the M43 or M43A1 Detector unit. The detector unit mounted on the bracket located on the floor. The alarm unit mounted on the bracket located on the dash, the bracket everyone hangs speakers and control boxes on.

The two pieces are connected with the standard black commo wire, WD-1, I think. The original idea of the alarm is that the detector unit would be placed outside your perimeter and wire run to the alarm unit to give you early (Hah!) warning of a chemical attack. It could also be carried in a backpack configuration, power by a battery. I'd pass on that assignment.

A lot of vehicles had mounts for the M8 Alarm. The interesting thing about the mount for the CUCV series of vehicles is the the alarm is placed inside the crew cab. The air entering the cab through the passenger side air vent is tested by the alarm. So, if the alarm goes off, you are already exposed, but hopefully have time to make a net call to the rest of the unit, provided your vehicle is equiped with a radio.

KyCUCVs

Should have added that when we picked up our brand new, M1008's and M1009's in 1985, every vehicle had the brackets for the M8 alarm system. Most were removed because units only had one alarm system authorized per company or platoon. We removed the floor bracket becaused it messed up your boots. We left the dash brackets because you could hang your coffee cup on it.

kentuckycucv

In 4 years I have'nt figures out anything creative to do with that bracket so i tried to get it out....(PB BLASTER) Those screws are so rusty Im going to have to drill them... Maybe I will leave it in for awhile and one of you guys will come up with a good use for it besides scuffing up my girlfrieds shoes.

NEIOWA

A lot of vehicles had mounts for the M8 Alarm. The interesting thing about the mount for the CUCV series of vehicles is the the alarm is placed inside the crew cab. The air entering the cab through the passenger side air vent is tested by the alarm. So, if the alarm goes off, you are already exposed, but hopefully have time to make a net call to the rest of the unit, provided your vehicle is equiped with a radio.
AFTER doning your protective mask.

Wolf.Dose

My M1009 did NOT have this bracket, no holes in the floor. So it is wrong to say every CUCV had it.
My M1009 id toke part in Desret Storm and was surplussed in 1992. Used it for 14 years and 231,000 miles befor it was eaten of by rust, no change to repair by a realistc time frame so sold it for parts.
Wolf

CycleJay

My M1009 has the holes in the floor for the chemical alarm system.

So I would like to find everything I need for it, so I could restore my M1009
to as close to original outfitted condition as possible.

Twlinks gave me a lead to the alarm itself, but that is all.

So I will have to keep looking for the rest of it, unless any of you have any leads.

Just my $0.02 cents...