• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone know who made the LDT turbo? How about bore x stroke

DrFoster

I'm looking for a mfr. and model # if you have it. I've searched endlessly through the net and the TMs.

Looking at the boost and how it was set up, I thought it was a 50 trim garrett, but it is far larger than that, although the compressor map is a likely fit.

++++++++

I'm also looking for the bore and stroke of the LDT 456 engine.

Thanks for your help!

DrFoster

OK... well here is the information I have so far, I just wanted to share, since it is almost non-existant on the web.

The turbo is a Schwitzer (correct spelling) (A.K.A. comapny name "KKK turbo" also owned by Borg Warner) model 3LM on the whistler and model 3LJ on the older models. It is VERY similar to a T04-B turbocharger housing and compressor wheels. It is most often found on CAT engines and some Detriot Diesels.

I still can't seem to come up with that bore and stroke...

Randy, if I can get that turbo from you for mock-up, then I am only about 3 weeks from having a complete turbo kit for the deuce, with boost control, EGT, A/F ratio, and possibly an intercooler on the test vehicle.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Bore 4.56"
Stroke 4.87"

Displacement 487 ci

Statistics courtesy of the Trouble Shooting Manual, LDS-465-1 Multifuel Engine, published by Continental Aviation and Engineering Company, June 1968.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Also, courtesy of the same publication:

"Turbocharger: Schwitzer Model 4-456"

Maint- TM 9-2990-201-35
Parts- TM 9-2990-201-35P

Hope this helps

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DrFoster,
I just forwarded this link to my buddy that likes to hop up turbo Taurus SHO's that I told you about last weekend.

It should prove to be interesting to see his take on this particular turbo. And what would be the best way to go about 'improving' hp, tq and mpg all at the same time.

DrFoster

Ok so using the stock turbo, and a proper a/f ratio (slightly lean of stoichiometric), I'm calculating that the engine will develop about 307 hp and 601 ft. lbs. of torque at 15psi (which will not leave the proper efficiency island for this turbo).

The trick here is properly tuning the injectors and finding out how bad that extra 60 degrees (f) will affect the EGT's and such.

I guess all of this studying that I have done tells me that if your truck is smoking, it is not running lean of stoic, and is burning too much fuel. I understand that at idle the ratio is inbetween 60:1 and 100:1 but under throttle, it needs to drop to 15.3:1.

So, turning up the fuel is a crude but effective way to create more power in this engine. Rather, we should be turning up the boost with a BC and wastegate, and watching not only EGT but most importantly A/F ratios. I wonder if there is a diesel A/F gauge out there... I bet there is.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just love it when people talk technical. I followed most of it Doc, but you used a couple of words I had to think on...

This is gonna get interesting fairly quickly, especially when you get the yea or neah from Wyoming about your truck.

If not, off to WV to Clarks Trucks. In a few weeks. THEN it's time to get busy...

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just rember these engines have weak head gaskets. And head bolts/studs love to stretch. Don't be suprised if you end up with a cylinder head in your lap at 15psi.

DrFoster

Well, with an intercooler, I would only have to go to 10psi and develope a huge amount of power vs. turning up boost and hurting the head.

I appreciate the knoweldge about the head gasket and studs.

mangus580

Ken has mentioned this before..... the intake on the LDT is heated by engine coolant.

I am not sure if that really matters though, as my thought is, its heated to warm the air some in super cold temps...... but I think the colder air coming into the intake the better regardless...

DrFoster

Heated, yes. but it actually works as a crude intercooler too (until it heat soaks). Temp of the charge air at a few psi boost was something like 230 degrees, if I remember properly... I don't have my notes with me.

CUMMINS

Its no wonder these engines blow head gaskets with the timing they run, My LD465 runs 25 degrees BTC and that will create a lot of added combustion chamber pressure, a stock Cummins 5.9BTA runs 12 degrees and many people bump it up to 16 for better power, sled pullers and drag racers do 20 and above, but they usually fire ring or oring the head, which we could also do, and as far as head studs, a stud will generaly provide more clamping force than a bolt which is why many people upgrade to a 12mm stud in the Cummins to hold more boost, and the studs on these Continental motors are much much bigger than 12mm, and they are also torqued to 158FT LBs where as the upgraded ARP stud for the 5.9 is torqued to 120Ft Lbs, so the 465 could be a stout motor but with the high timing and high boost I think a fire ringed head would be needed or either studs made from a stronger material

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I ran over 20 lbs of boost on my truck for about 6 months without a problem, tuned it back to about 15 lbs and it seems perfect. Obviosly the EGT went too high real quick with over 20 lbs so it was for short bursts only. I was pushing my luck. I definately think these can benefit from a larger turbo to get more airflow into them. I think the stock cast iron manifold that connects the turbo to the intake manifold could be improved if a larger turbo was used since the inlet diameter is about 1 1/2 inches. Thats a small area to move that much air through. Even my 90H.P. volkswagen diesel has a larger intake diameter. These engines are being choked to death and I cant take it anymore! Keep up the number crunching DrFoster. :beer:

red devils dude

CUMMINS said:
Its no wonder these engines blow head gaskets with the timing they run, My LD465 runs 25 degrees BTC and that will create a lot of added combustion chamber pressure, a stock Cummins 5.9BTA runs 12 degrees and many people bump it up to 16 for better power, sled pullers and drag racers do 20 and above, but they usually fire ring or oring the head, which we could also do, and as far as head studs, a stud will generaly provide more clamping force than a bolt which is why many people upgrade to a 12mm stud in the Cummins to hold more boost, and the studs on these Continental motors are much much bigger than 12mm, and they are also torqued to 158FT LBs where as the upgraded ARP stud for the 5.9 is torqued to 120Ft Lbs, so the 465 could be a stout motor but with the high timing and high boost I think a fire ringed head would be needed or either studs made from a stronger material
If I remember right early LD-465's had fire ring's but where replaced in
the LD-465-1 and -C motor's.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks