• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone know why the top of a radiator would blow off?

ida34

One of the trucks I am looking at was parked when the top tank of the radiator blew off the core. Anyone seen this before and can provide a reason. I am pretty sure the engine is an LDS multifuel. The millage is reported to be pretty low on the truck.

My first thought was that the combustion chamber of one or more of the cylinders was leaking into the water pasages. Blow head gasket or such.

The other thought I had was a bad radiator cap not releasing pressure.

And the last think I thought of is the radiator had a defect and could not take normal pressure.

The guy said the engine ran great both before and after the incident but because of the radiator the truck was parked and not used again.

I am going to pour over the manuals to check it out.

Any thoughts on the subject are appreciated.

jwaller

pretty simple. crank it and see if she's blowin air out the rad hose.

your on the right track. I think it could be any of the items you've listed but you have to look and see what it really is.

ida34

Not an option at this point. I will have to assume the worst and it is an engine problem. The guy seemed to be of the impression that is wasn't. I believe him but he could be wrong.

gwalker

Everyone selling a vehicle that doesnt run says it wasnt anything much, so why didnt they fix it then? Obviously one that runs well is worth more one that doesnt run at all! I would suspect a blown head gasket at least, maybe all three items you mentioned.

ida34

I know the reason they did not fix it and it is a good one. Even a minor thing was not worth them fixing it.

ida34

The truck was running when it happened so probably not froze. I think the most likely explanation is a head gasket.

beaubeau

I got to agree with Majortom, I bougt vehicles with just water in the radiator. Even in the south, U should run antifreeze, even if just for Lubrication! And remember guys, permanent antifreeze in not Permanent! Change every couple of years, even in your car!! Antifreeze is cheaper than a water pump!! Phil

mitchellracing

regaurdless of blown headgasket the radiator cap should have released the pressure im with the rest probably froze even if it was running the fan blowing through a rad that didnt have enough antifreeze could freeze it up id check the radiator and radiator cap

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chuck, all of the things you mentioned can do it, possibly the air compressor too. Probably a fairly easy fix.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks