• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone know why?

Drove my ' 86 CUCV Blazer most of the day around town. Ran like a charm. Pulled in front of my house to get something, and went back out to leave again, and the Blazer wouldn't start. Just made the familiar clicking noise of a starter gone bad. This will be 4th starter that l have had to replace on my Blazer. Anyone know why the starters are so bad on these vehicles?
Tom Lovinggood

DeadParrot

Make sure the support bracket is properly installed on the front end of the starter. If that bracket isn't there, the starter can flex and bind the gears as it cranks. It is also a good idea to check the starter bolts for tightness as they can back out. The brackets are different between the direct drive and reduction gear starters but both versions need a bracket.

JD4044M

Chevys lost starters due to high heat then went with a shield. Are you missing a shield?? Loose bolts hard on starters hot engines start hard also. Timing off if a Gas Engine.

2INSANE

If I give solenoid power with no power to starter, I get a click noise. The starter wires are loose Or the starter is seized. Did you use locking washer on starter wire to battery? Does the starter battery terminal move by hand? Is starter wire touching frame Or manifold? The inner solenoid starter terminal nut can get loose as well.

EDIT: If it is not the starter, next to check would be the battery’s and alternators. These motors need lots of juice!

Last edited:
If I give solenoid power with no power to starter, I get a click noise. The starter wires are loose Or the starter is seized. Did you use locking washer on starter wire to battery? Does the starter battery terminal move by hand? Is starter wire touching frame Or manifold? The inner solenoid starter terminal nut can get loose as well.

EDIT: If it is not the starter, next to check would be the battery’s and alternators. These motors need lots of juice!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks