• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone modified 2 man troop seats for 4 man vehicle?

I decided to try this out as well. I took it road camping last weekend and after sleeping on the tunnel, thought the 4 man cargo cover would be a good addition so I could keep more gear and my legs dry. After looking around for the cargo kit and seeing the prices, I decided to just order a relatively cheaper cover only and use up the troop seats and bows I had laying around. I'm still waiting for the cover to show up, so I haven't cut the bows down yet.

I left the troop seats on for now, cut off the troop seat connector and triangular mount from the leftovers, and welded them near the rear seat belt mounts. I'm also not quite sold on the look yet, but at least it will come off easy.

Attachments

Predator42

I did this to mine and discovered after cutting down the bows and the troop seats that the factory rear cargo over will not zip up on the back because the sides are about 2" too wide so each of the side sections have a big gap. I took my setup off the truck if anyone is interested in them. I had the older style wooden troop seats so yours might not have the same problem as mine did.

Last edited:
I did this to mine and discovered after cutting down the bows and the troop seats that the factory rear cargo over will not zip up on the back because the sides are about 2" too wide so each of the side sections have a big gap. I took my setup off the truck if anyone is interested in them.
Well, that's not good to hear, but was one of my fears. I was also worried about the front top corners where it velcros into the soft top. That area I can fix, but having my doubts on the back end. Guess I'll find out in a few days.

Predator42

the front top corners worked fine for me on the velcro it was the extra length/width in the back that had the issue. The sides are kinda sharp and it wants to tear through the canvas. At first I thought it was a cool idea until the cover didn't fit and the one I bought was shipped with a hole in it. I gave up on the idea and built a tonneau cover instead. now I can hide all my gear and I use a Kamprite oversized camp cot across the deck of the HMMWV from fender to fender. keeps me off the truck bed ridges inside and allows me to still see the stars.kamprite.jpg IMG_4311.jpg

Last edited:
Can anyone measure their rear bows meant for the 4 man cargo cover? I'm looking for the out-to-out dimension of the bows at the top corners. I'm assuming it would be the same as measuring the velcro connection on the rear roof, but just want to make sure before I try anything else.

I went ahead and tried to get the 2 man bows to fit. It was obvious it would not come close after just cutting them down to height, so I cut two 2 1/2" pieces out from each side of center, and spliced it back together. I used 1/2" emt slid inside to mock it up. I may weld it back later, but it holds surprisingly well due to the angles involved.

The pieces that hold the bows in place had to be switched around and placed inside the troop seats. The bolts were all flipped so the carriage heads are against the cover, and I had to shave the rear troop seat corners at an angle. A spreader was added down the middle. The seats will fold back up in place when the top is off, but 2 of the bow holders need to be twisted up a few degrees.

The rear end is a little loose looking, but I took it for a test drive today against 30 mph winds and it all stayed in place. One nice thing is when taken apart, it all collapses down and can be carried in a small area inside. I don't plan on keeping the top on much at all, but should work great for road camping.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks