• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone near Baxter, TN want to look at a deuce?

kenn

I've found one I'm somewhat interested in but Baxter is kind of middle of nowhere. I've read about deuces until I think I've memorized the text in some threads, but it would still be nice to have a deuce-a-holic take a look. I'd be happy to pay for said efforts...

Thanks!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I've found one I'm somewhat interested in but Baxter is kind of middle of nowhere. I've read about deuces until I think I've memorized the text in some threads, but it would still be nice to have a deuce-a-holic take a look. I'd be happy to pay for said efforts...

Thanks!
It's probably @South deuce. He has quite a few of them

kenn

And... just like that, a facebook marketplace ad just popped up close to me with a possible candidate as well. I'm going to try to look at the local one first since logistics are always an issue. This one is about 3 hours away (4 in a deuce, lol).

kenn

Ok, this is the one I'm looking at. I'm going to look first thing in the morning cash in hand with a co-pilot to take my car back home. "New" tires all around recently. Seller says no issues anywhere other than wobble in front right wheel as it approaches 50mph. It's about 200 miles home and I'm debating the drive vs. having it heavy-hauled if I can get a last minute driver. Price is reasonable so I'm not going to haggle. Obviously need to verify it maintains air and fluids are in good shape as well as a short drive to confirm all is in working order before I drive it away. It's only money, lol, and you only go 'round the Earth once.

Deuce.jpg

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ok, this is the one I'm looking at. I'm going to look first thing in the morning cash in hand with a co-pilot to take my car back home. "New" tires all around recently. Seller says no issues anywhere other than wobble in front right wheel as it approaches 50mph. It's about 200 miles home and I'm debating the drive vs. having it heavy-hauled if I can get a last minute driver. Price is reasonable so I'm not going to haggle. Obviously need to verify it maintains air and fluids are in good shape as well as a short drive to confirm all is in working order before I drive it away. It's only money, lol, and you only go 'round the Earth once.

View attachment 869586
Well by gosh, if you pick her up and drive it home - snap us a picture or two. Maybe even one out the front windshield if you can and post it up on the forum for that. Welcome to the Outfit too!

If you have a chance, be sure to download the Technical Manuals (TMs) for your new-to-you truck.
Having those books of information will make you smarter :cool: if you thumb through them.

Knowing what kind of oil and grease and where to put it will make your life easier too.
Parts can be expensive - while grease is pretty cheap.

Again, welcome to the group!

kenn

I've started perusing the TMs so that I can repair/replace parts on the front right if necessary to cure the wobble. I guess I'll know more when I get there about the overall condition but we're going to do a video walkthrough tonight I hope.

HDN

I've started perusing the TMs so that I can repair/replace parts on the front right if necessary to cure the wobble. I guess I'll know more when I get there about the overall condition but we're going to do a video walkthrough tonight I hope.
It could be something as simple as uneven air pressure in the front wheels or a little more involved like a tie rod end on the wobbly wheel. I think at worst it could be a wheel bearing.

If I were in your position and bought the truck, I'd have it hauled home. I don't think a steering axle problem causing a control issue is worth the risk driving it until it's fixed.

ToddJK

Seems like a decent truck. If you buy it, I agree with HDN, not knowing exactly what that wobbling is could prove to be either series or minor, but better safe than sorry. If you do drive it, maybe take all the back roads and take it slow. Bring some tools and and some water at least just in case. Let us know how it goes and we'll also need more pictures! 🤣

kenn

If I drive it home, I have a path mapped out that stays off the freeways yet is on roads busy enough to have auto parts, wal mart, etc. I'm still 50/50 but I need to see/know fluids and batteries. The owner took it on a 100 mile round trip for a parade in december... LOTS of pics to come if I come home with it and at least one dumb arse noob question where the answer is, "did you use the advanced search?" or "It's in the TMs!". :)

Edit: Fluids are supposedly recent change. Batteries are kept charged. Holds air even after shut off for an extended period so I think brakes are probably going to be OK. Spoke to him about the wobble and he said that the drive line doesn't have any slop in it and steering has little play and it doesn't wander in the lane. I'll know in the morning I guess. I'll update as I go.

Last edited:

kenn

And…. A LOT of rust. The bar across the top of the front windows is pretty much gone. Seams on the metal roof are gone too. Think I’m going to pass. I'd have to replace the hard top completely as the seams are barely there and the top along the windows is about 75% missing. There was a good bit elsewhere but I stopped when I saw that seam and departed. I specifically asked about rust and was told there was very little and that seemed like a lot to me. Maybe my expectations were too high but that truck would require cutting out some metal in a few other places and welding in panels to stop the rot and I'm not looking for that level of a project... My welding sucks.

ToddJK

And…. A LOT of rust. The bar across the top of the front windows is pretty much gone. Seams on the metal roof are gone too. Think I’m going to pass. I'd have to replace the hard top completely as the seams are barely there and the top along the windows is about 75% missing. There was a good bit elsewhere but I stopped when I saw that seam and departed. I specifically asked about rust and was told there was very little and that seemed like a lot to me. Maybe my expectations were too high but that truck would require cutting out some metal in a few other places and welding in panels to stop the rot and I'm not looking for that level of a project... My welding sucks.
Nothing wrong with having expectations. That why it's always a good idea to look at a few before you buy. The windows and the seals around the cab are more times than not rusty and leak which leads to more rust.

ToddJK

Thanks, ToddJK. I expect some surface rust for sure. There's no way around it. I'll just keep looking and be patient.
Have you ever googled M35's for sale? If I recall, there's a guy down there in Texas who has a whole yard full of them. They aren't pretty but the prices didn't seem bad either. I was gonna buy one from him but then I decided not too because Texas was too far for me and if I went, I wasn't gonna go across the country to come home empty handed. If I find his link again, I'll let ya know, that is if you don't already know who I'm talking about.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks