• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone picking up their deuce in Norman, OK yet?

ford381stroker

I purchased a Deuce in late May (Norman, OK auction with 95 deuces) and was wondering if anyone else won a deuce at auction and is going up there to pick theirs up this coming week.

I scheduled my pickup for next Friday at 12 noon. I am hoping that mine will run and drive so I can tow my little Ford Ranger home with a tow dolly. If anyone is going up there would you be willing to swing by and take a gander at mine? This is my first one and I am trying to go prepared.

I am going to have to figure out how to put a pintle hook on my tow dolly. Any ideas? I am doing a search as we speak and I haven't found anything yet.

M1075

Try sending a PM to Tackettr

His EUC has cleared and went down this week to check out his trucks. I believe he is picking them up next week.

dabtl

I am supposed to pick mine up the first of next week. What lot number was yours? If I can I will take a look at it.

reb87

Im going to be there tuesday morning to pick up my m35a2 and m109a3. Hoping to pull one with the other.
Ross/Nebraska

nattieleather

You'll need a very large ring to put on the end of the tow dolly so that it will hook to the back of the duce. Also I'm concern with the height of the pintle hitch I'm wondering if the tow dolly will be on to steep of an angle...just wondering..not sure...

Green_gator

I am picking up mine on Friday July 11 in the morning. If anyone is going there a bit sooner and can look at lot 6349 from the event (3348) and grab me the registration number I would greatly appreciate the help. It makes it a whole lot easier to get the temporary tag here in Florida with a registration number. The truck has a sand colored canvas top with the solid green body so it should stand out a bit in the crowd. I am bringing a fairly complete set of tools if anyone needs something. I am scheduled for 8 a.m. and should be there for a bit and will gladly lend you a hand. Taking this one back to Colorado for my brother.

ford381stroker

lot #6372 from the event #3348. If you guys can take a look at it for me I would greatly appreciate it. I am hoping all will go well and I can drive it back the 300 miles with Zero issues.

Thanks!

ford381stroker

Today I picked up my Tow Dolly some fresh tires for the trip to and from Norman. I am going to pull it behind my Ford Ranger down and then use it to put behind the Deuce and pull the Ranger home (Lord Willing!).

I am going to purchase a receiver hitch from work (O'Reilly Auto Parts) that will fit somewhere between the 38-34" wide frame. I am going to get my torch bottles filled so I can just blow holes through the frame and put the bolts in nice and quick.

Hopefully the Deuce will be good to go but the guy I set up my appointment with said that the Deuces on site have been sitting for a few months and he doesn't know if they will start. He did ask me if I was planning to drive it or tow it. He didn't mind either way and was actually very nice. I told him I was planning to drive it and he did say that some had been successful at driving them home. There is hope.

Look forward to hearing back from you guys in the next couple of days. I am hoping that everything is still there and it is good to go!

royt1998

Ford381 sorry i didnt get a chance to look at any of the other trucks today. I cheated and took my truck and 48ft drop deck.They brought my trucks from around back to the loading dock. So i didnt get to see any others. Both mine are in good shape hope yours is as well.
good luck with the recovery
royt

M1075

I got notice my EUC was approved today. Still waiting on the paid-in-full invoice, but should be down there sometime this week or next to get my 3 deuces.

reb87

Well I picked my two trucks up tuesday morning but had people waiting on me so I didnt get a chance to look at the other trucks. There are a lot of trucks at norman. The guy who helped me was awesome and very helpful. My m35a2 started and my m109a3 had to be jumped(bad batteries) I pulled the 109 with the 35 . Ill post more story and pics tonight.

KaiserM109

This is probably after the fact if I read your dates correctly, but here is the account of my adventures from Ft. Riley to Denver:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=139523&highlight=#139523

I took the back driveshaft out of the Bronco and it towed great, so well that I had to stop periodically to see if it was still there. It was completely hidden by the box.

There's an old joke about towing a Howitzer behind an M35 (we did it a good bit in Viet Nam) "If you can't see it, you're ok."

You should take an 8' 2x2 and strap it across the front bumper of your Ranger with a flag on each end; otherwise it you don't know if it's still there.

I will be in Ft. Sill picking up some heaters for my kitchen trailer and over to Norman on July 18 to help a friend pick up an M109A3. The folks at Ft. Sill have been great at bending their schedule to help me coordinate the 2 pickups. The "face-to-face" folks at GL at the 4 different depots I have dealt with have ALL been great.

The week end starting on Thur., July 17 is going to be interesting! If all goes well, we'll be back in Denver, CO some time Sunday the 20th.

Good luck on your pickup and to anyone else reading this. Please add photos to this thread.

ford381stroker

well, the tow dolly is hooked up to the Ranger and I am getting up at 5:30 a.m. to get the tools loaded and do the pre-trip checkup on the truck. Plan on leaving at 7:00.

Hope to have pics posted tomorrow evening of the trip. Wish me luck.

Green_gator

Ford381stroker
I am picking up tomorrow morning at 8 A.M. so if you are there early I should be able to give you a hand if needed. I am staying the night in Oklahoma City and should be in Norman around 7:30. Driving a Silver Pontiac G6 (rental). My cell phone is (813) 695-5889 if you want to give me a shout in the morning. Leaving Norman and headed to Grand Junction, CO.