• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone recall the exact spindle nut and hub cover torque specs?

Reworked LMTV

I have the Technical Manuals, but finding torque specs seems to be allusive. I absolutely hate the way these manuals are set up. aua

Anyone recall the exact spindle nut and hub cover torque specs?

DCLund

Procedure is in TM 9-2320-365-20-3, chapter 10. Spindle nut is torque to 50, loosen 1/4 turn, torque to 10-20,then adjust shims.
Cover bolts are 35-50 lb/ft.
Don't skip the nut and shim adjustment procedure. Use the manual.
I just finished a complete front axle refresh. Was not as hard as I thought. Good luck.
PM me if you have specific questions. There are hard ways and easy ways to do everything.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you spin the hub as you tighten too. Also I go to 50 and back off a few times. This ensures everything is seated correctly. Learned this while doing many many trailer hubs, if I only torqued heavy once occasionally everything wouldn’t seat correctly leading to it loosinging up down the road, and finding hot bearings. So on my M1078 I always tighten to 50 while Turing the hub. Once at 50 I give the hub a few rotations either way, then back off and repeat. The custom hub ring tool makes setting the shims a snap.

Carful with the hub cover bolts, they strip easily.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh and the reason for the large torque variation of 10-20 is to allow a way to get the pins on the nut to align with the splined gear. I tackle this by torquing to 12, checking and increasing torque till the pin aligned, not exceeding 20. Good luck and have fun. Working on these trucks is like having a hobby in a hobby.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks