• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone running 42" tires on 17" aftermarket wheels ? If so I need your help...

lowell66dart

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since this thread is about non-military wheels and tires I'll throw this out there. If any of you are on a budget or have a knack for finding things for a good price this may work for you. The silver wheel pictured is a 2003-2013 Dodge 2500 17" factory wheel. I gave a $100 for all four. I am planning on painting these tan to use on a HMMWV. As the pic shows they will bolt right up. They are 7.5 inches wide compared to a 8.25 Humvee wheel. They actually tuck in about a 1/8 inch more than a Humvee wheel.

The other black wheel is the H2 17 inch wheel. TheyIMG_1075.jpgIMG_1076.jpgIMG_1077.jpgIMG_1078.jpg will need some work to open up the center slightly to fit. These will move the tire out some as I hope my pics show.

A good site to get factory wheel specs is Hubcap Haven. Enjoy

JoeJrTheBarber

Looks good. How far do they stick out from the fenders?
Went to go see the truck today for the first time with the new lift / tires installed.
Have exactly 24" from the ground to the bottom of the truck, and as you can kinda tell the wheels don't really stick out at all from the fenders, maybe 1/2'' if even that ?
Lift4.jpg Lift5.jpg Lift6.jpg

JoeJrTheBarber

On the back end, is that the plastic piece used to fill the gap between body and bumper with a lift?
Its metal. It came with the 2" body lift from Rubber Duck 4x4. Plans are to re-make it out of thicker gauge material eventually as the one that comes with the kit
is really nothing more then sheet metal.

Action

That baby’s up there. I had to go measure mine. I’m at 19 inches measured at the point between the front and rear door.
So, if you put a 2" body lift, 2" suspension lift, and 5" taller tires, you should be at 25 1/2" !
He must have only been at 17 1/2 to start with. Old saggy springs.

JoeJrTheBarber

Welded on spacers to the factory wheel tie down points (or hooks or whatever they are called) so they now sit flush with the face of the wheel and not in the wheel itself.
These aftermarket wheels are about 2" thicker then the stock wheels at the hubs.
WheelTieDown3.jpgWheelTieDown1.jpgWheelTieDown.jpg
And before people start ragging about how these wont be strong due to the lack of bracing on the extensions please remember this was done purely for cosmetic reasons..

Skrilex

Banned
I went with the stock Hummer H1 specs. Haven't drove the truck with the new setup yet but looks to be all good.
They look closer to H2 specs maybe? I don’t see how they can offer custom offset alloys so that’s the reason they stick out a little. They look great, it’s just that the h1 wheel are a very crazy unique offset that no other alloy wheels have save for the cepeck and hutchinsens.

Skrilex

Banned
Welded on spacers to the factory wheel tie down points (or hooks or whatever they are called) so they now sit flush with the face of the wheel and not in the wheel itself.
These aftermarket wheels are about 2" thicker then the stock wheels at the hubs.
And before people start ragging about how these wont be strong due to the lack of bracing on the extensions please remember this was done purely for cosmetic reasons..
When you mention they are thicker, is it solid aluminum?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks