• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone ship their MV by rail recently?

PureMayhem

I have searched the forums for replies concerning shipping MV’s by rail, even read all of the “Should we have a train forum/ bash Ferro” thread. I’ve only found one comment on shipping by rail and that was negative due to the chance for vandalism. I want to ship my 5 ton from Houston to Missoula, Montana this spring and based on what I see in the threads it will be at least $2 per loaded mile (1,900 miles at least) to have it trucked and I am afraid to drive it that far so I am looking at the rail option. Has anyone shipped by rail and had a good outcome? I am asking for quotes right now from a couple of railroads and car carriers but have not got any back yet.

KsM715

The "per mile" cost may be better than shipping by truck but the cost to load and unload is the deal breaker, at least that's what I've heard. ( unionized labor to load and unload) I wouldn't do it just because of the vandalism aspect.

BradBMI

:doghead:What if I buy a C130 or Chinook from GL and air deliver with parachutes I also found on GL? Would be fun!:papabear:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Only if you buy the tool kits that look like jerry cans and put on the vehicles. Time for that thread to raise its ugly head.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A single car move would cost you way more than the 3800.00 dollars to truck it. Plus, you just can't chain a truck to a flatcar, and call it good. You would have to block the wheels, and secure the cab so that the doors can't open.

Then you would have to worry about the the RR losing the car(yes, they lose cars all the time)

FormerNewMVGuy

I have had to leave my civi truck at the rail yard a few times, Its never a good idea... They usually refer to them as the hobo highway, they are usually in a real bad part of town, So I know I wouldn't want leave my 5 ton chained to a railcar for days while it set in a yard somewhere with potentially homeless Spanish speaking illegals living in it or vandalizing it.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, I speak Spanish. I keep buying big green or tan trucks that my better half does not appreciate as much as I do so I guess I am also potentially homeless. Darned good thing I am legal (most of the time). Adios, amigos.

FormerNewMVGuy

Hey, I speak Spanish. I keep buying big green or tan trucks that my better half does not appreciate as much as I do so I guess I am also potentially homeless. Darned good thing I am legal (most of the time). Adios, amigos.
No disrespect intended, just my experience with local railyards around here.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had BNSF loose a rail care with 2 M1A2 Tanks on it, going from Ft Hood Tx to Ft Irwin, Ca. For 3 days they had no idea where the rail car was.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Classic!!

fireball

Think some slick fellas put their trucks in containers and ship them with no problems. It is far cheaper to ship a container of truck parts than to pay the demeurage on a flatcar while you are trying to figure out all the block and tackle rules

iatractor

Back in my fuel hauling days, a company I interned for trucked fuel to the locomotives at the rail yard. Got to witness the building of many trains, and I can say that the handling of railcars is not gentle. They would get the locomotive up to a good speed, cut maybe 3-4 cars loose, then throw the switch and slam them into the train they were making. Noisy and it wasn't uncommon to see flat cars with equipment bouncing around. Thought UPS was hard on things shipped but rail can be destructive on non-bulk commodities.

PureMayhem

Thanks everyone for their input. I may look into the container angle since my neighbor is in that business but will start getting quotes on trucking my MV to Montana.

davo727

Are there containers that are wider inside than standard 7 ft 8in ? I was thinking even the front hubs were wider than that? as usual mine is not within reach for me to measure. As far as height you can remove the top and exhaust stack, fold windshields etc so that's not a problem

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are there containers that are wider inside than standard 7 ft 8in ? I was thinking even the front hubs were wider than that? as usual mine is not within reach for me to measure. As far as height you can remove the top and exhaust stack, fold windshields etc so that's not a problem
It seems like I recall seeing photos on here of a M809 5 ton inside of a connex. I want to say the front wheels and tires were removed and it was steered all the way to one side.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks