• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone tow with their deuce?

ProJunkRacing

Was looking into a duece as a tow rig , and was wondering if anyone else does it.

I would like it to be multi fuel , and Turbo as well.

The trailer will most likely be a gooseneck with some kinda flatbed on the truck with tool boxes on it. I know it can tow just fine but what is everyone's thoughts on the idea. I would most likely also Convert to disk brakes on the wheels to aide in braking as well.

Even the possibility of a duece tractor configuration could make me happy as well.

But any info or pictures related to towing anything with a 2.5 ton or 5 Ton would be great.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
RE: Anyone tow with their duece?

But any info or pictures related to towing anything with a 2.5 ton or 5 Ton would be great.
man, you have opened yourself to a maga responce with that request, the guys on this site tow everything and anything INCLUDING the kitchen sink, there is a very good chance that the server may not have enough space for ALL the pics of all the different tows

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't towed anything yet but I'm planning on pulling my Massey Ferguson backhoe with it on a pintle hitch trailer when I get the engine rebuilt in the hoe. From driving the deuce empty I can tell it's going to be slow unless I can get some more ponies out of the engine. I won't be hauling it very far so I'll just take my time. If I were going to be pulling much of a load very far I'd go with a 5-ton Cummins. The deuce is great for what it was designed for but is weak engine wise on the road compared to civilian trucks.

acetomatoco

The Deuce was designed to go 40 mph in convoys...you can tow anything you want right up to the max towed load indicated on your data plates, it varies by wheel base and configuration... you can have surge brakes, air brakes, and with the right kit, electric brakes on your trailer.. remember that if the towed load exceeds 10000 lbs gross, you fall into CDL territory...see all the poop in the archives here re that topic... A nice parade unit I put together a few years ago was the M35A2C with a M880 series contact truck on a towbar, and a M38A1 in the bed...with banners and flags all over.. one way to drive three vehicles in a parade...

Jimmy

ProJunk,

I have a Massey Backhoe 60D series, I don't know which one you have and while I am sure the deuce would pull it, it would take all day to get there. It is a massive "HO".

Send plenty of pictures.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the trucks that we have were NEVER designed for civilian use, hence cant be compared to civilian rigs, thay do what thay were designed to do VERY well, that is to get you in and out under combat conditions in the worse conditions imaginable., its not a weak engine, but the gearing that thay have that is needed to do there designed job. a 5t, eather a 39 or a 809 series wont give you much if any more speed then a good running deuce, the only advantage to a 5t is the ability to carry and tow a heavier load and the bigger brakes that go along with the heavier truck and the power steering. the 5t 900 series has air brakes and is more highway friendly but the price tag is a bit steep.

M215

Towing

I used to have an M35A2 as my tow vehicle for our track loader, but have recently changed up to a M813. Big improvement but still not everything I was hoping for. We are clearing some land to build on that is only 7 miles from our current location, so a short haul both ways. The 2.5 tow was able to move the loader down the road, the margin of safety was thin. The trailer is equiped with electric brakes and work great.

The 5 ton is much better in it's towing ablity, the shift from 3rd to 4th is a problem. The governed 2100 rpm in 3rd drops to 1100 -1200 rpm when shifting into 4th. I plan to raise the rpm limit to 23-2400 and increase the fuel rate also to help with the 3-4 shift. Yeah, I have read all the posts about the possible damage to the engine by doing this. I plan to add a pyro and run the rpms at 2100, just need the extra for 3-4 shifting, bottom line is it's my truck and money. The 5 ton is such a great format, very heavy duty and the power steering is great.

These trucks are great for my needs, but if you plan on towing a great distance or at speeds greater than 45, you may want to consider something different.
Karl

Attachments

ProJunkRacing

RE: Towing

I Don't Really care if I need a CDL as I have one . I know it will need some mod's to go a little faster but that is something I will need to look into. What kinda MPG can I expect while towing . I anticipate a 40 FT GooseNeck with 2-3 Trucks on it. Is a tractor configuration going to be better than goose? Air Brakes are actually very nice so that might be something I would like to have really. I see somebody on here makes a gear for the trans on these. Like an OD gear or something around $1200. Is that something to look into? I love military pig's and you can get more truck that way than a civy truck in my opinion. Thanks for the quick response's Keep them coming , and Merry Christmas guy's. :)

ProJunkRacing

RE: Towing

Is a M275A2 or M818 gonna do me decent? I realize these are not fast but is 65 with 12k gonna be asking to much? Anything I can do to speed it up really?

emr

RE: Re: RE: Towing

Just 2 cents, but these trucks were not designed to do what I think you are asking for them, and will run into trouble, as for using it in a tactical situation, these are the trucks, parades working hard off road etc, getting there slow and steady, sure you can make em go faster, BUT what about everything else,thats dangerous in my way of thinking, just buy a good used truck built to do highway speeds, these trucks were not, Hope you dont mind my input, but i really believe this,BUT NOW THERE ARE line haul tractors that are selling out there too, so to have a military rig ,they are out there that will do what You want!!! but it doesnt sound like the 2 and a half or 5 tonners are your choice, randy

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

in fact jeff (tactial truck) has a 915 line haul for sale

bugei

stretch,

hot looking tow setup, is it removable? how far down does it hang below the bed. i would love to be able to tow something with a ball hitch once in a while.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jimmy said:
ProJunk,

I have a Massey Backhoe 60D series, I don't know which one you have and while I am sure the deuce would pull it, it would take all day to get there. It is a massive "HO".

Send plenty of pictures.
Jimmy, That was me that was talking about a backhoe. I have a MF40. I'm only going to haul it about 10 miles and I know it will be slow. I've got a Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins that would pull it alot better and a Frieghtliner for that matter but what's the fun it that?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks