• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone towed a M-54 with a M-52???

vtdeucedriver

Anyone had a good result with this?? I would imagine that the 800 series would be the same.

When I had my M-54 brought home, we used a dump truck with a load of stone. I was told that he put on the stone to help weight the truck down so the M-54 would not control the ass end when it decited not to turn. I remember it was really effective for the trip.

I need to move my M-54 again ASAP and I am thinking about using the M-52.

Any thoughts?

WarrenD

Wonder if you could get one of those 5th wheel mounted tow booms I see the commercial guys use? Pick up the front end of the M54 and put weight on the drive axles of the tractor.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone had a good result with this?? I would imagine that the 800 series would be the same.

When I had my M-54 brought home, we used a dump truck with a load of stone. I was told that he put on the stone to help weight the truck down so the M-54 would not control the ass end when it decited not to turn. I remember it was really effective for the trip.

Any thoughts?
Truck that has been in attendance at the Marlboro Volunteers events in the past.

Attachments

m816

Come on Jeff, Just hook up the towbar and do it. Take it easy and you will be just fine. You arn't towing it far are yu? Do I have to come up there and do it for you.? If You want me to do that , I will pick up Bill Peasley and we will be there in as long as it takes to get the guntruck up there.

vtdeucedriver

Come on Jeff, Just hook up the towbar and do it. Take it easy and you will be just fine. You arn't towing it far are yu? Do I have to come up there and do it for you.? If You want me to do that , I will pick up Bill Peasley and we will be there in as long as it takes to get the guntruck up there.
Just under 50 miles vinny. Thanks for the offer and I sure would love the help but you take care of your bride! We will make it happen!

M813A1

If you use your M52 make sure you use the air line to the M54 for the brakes if not you will have a very tough time and go slow without the air lines !! Because without any weight on the M52 the heavier M54 will want to push the lighter M52 tractor !!

Last edited:

vtdeucedriver

I am sure you have to move your wrecker also? You own a wrecker HELLO!
Yep wrecker has to go too but I don't want to add to the mess if something were to go wrong with the M-62. It has not been on the open road for 10+ years. Minimum, I want to change the carb before I head north.

MilitaryRestoration

11echo, is that a picture of yourself and your truck? Please let me know either way and if not then who it is... Thank you

Also, just got done towing a m934 with a deuce so you should be able to manage 0:)

Last edited:
I have driven thousands of miles in unknown trucks I pick up and pre-trip and return home safely. You have owned these trucks for years, put on your big boy pants and do it. Live the dream, be confident, now go get them. :driver:

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Any thoughts?

Towing with a M51 video.
Comps to Junkyardwarscrusher!

Attachments

A few years ago I towed ( Area 52 ) M54A2 with my M52a2 through town to his house .It was not bad I had one sharp turn leaving the county road I though the m54a2 would push my tractor to the side but it did not I skidded the m54a2 front end over it pulled right along after the turn .

calvin3103

i see you have a M-62

Yep wrecker has to go too but I don't want to add to the mess if something were to go wrong with the M-62. It has not been on the open road for 10+ years. Minimum, I want to change the carb before I head north.
i had a question for you, on your M62 wrecker did you have any problems with the turn table pionion bearing that rotates the hoist it has the hydralics connected on the little gear that will connect to the big ring gear? mine is smashed into little chunks i found a break down of the unit from a tm here but tells me no size,looks like a timkin wheel bearing, if you know what size that is it would be great cause i do know or can find the parts manual. thanks cal.

vtdeucedriver

i had a question for you, on your M62 wrecker did you have any problems with the turn table pionion bearing that rotates the hoist it has the hydralics connected on the little gear that will connect to the big ring gear? mine is smashed into little chunks i found a break down of the unit from a tm here but tells me no size,looks like a timkin wheel bearing, if you know what size that is it would be great cause i do know or can find the parts manual. thanks cal.
Hey Calvin,
I thought you might have got a answer by now. When you first posted, I did start to look through the manuals and it was not easy to figure out as the manual I have has no illustrations. I have the AW manual and I could give you the AW number an maybe you can cross reference it.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
When I get my G744 -9 back I'll look up the number which should be the AW number that should cross to a good number

calvin3103

thanks you guys

i kinda been busy but still trying on th side to fix the wrecker (M62) i was going to get some calipers and go under and measure the race and shaft up and get a bearing, it would be nice to get a number and go purchase it and install it. now i couldnt pass up this one M52 for 1200 bucks runs good but air pump is out has only 30 pounds and wont hold up for some reasone, must be bad and its beat up kinda but i like it 1969 this one here is some pics i hope the air pump is not big bucks.

Attachments

calvin3103

compressor

Compressors are not bad, Ya did good on that price.
Do you have any ideas on what to look for if the compressors do not go bad, some one told me to crack the line and see if air is moving and check the governer,i have to start downloading the TMs for the mac motor.this one is diffrent than the multifuel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks