• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone tried biodiesel - B100 in a multifuel?

sethnagy

I'm sure someone has already asked this question, but I could not find it after many searches.

Is there any issue running 100% biodiesel in an multifuel engine? I have a Hercules multifuel in my deuce. The tag on the engine indicates it was rebuilt in Ft. Benning, GA in 1993.

I'm sure it will run, but my concern is any rubber hoses or O-rings in the fuel system. I did not see any rubber hoses in the fuel line, but I don't know if I missed something or if O-rings are used in the fuel system.

Thanks for anyone with advice . . . especially personal experience. I don't want to make a costly mistake.

hedgehog69

One caution I read when I first got into homebrewing biodiesel was that Viton rubber was used after 1996. Viton is safe for biodiesel. Prior to that...be careful !! If you find rubber lines that are deteriorated, always replace with Viton.
Kind of a generalized response...perhaps it will help.

sethnagy

Thanks hedgehog. My truck if full of biodiesel, but I have not run it yet. (I had about 5 gal in the tank, so I have a B90). I really want to run biodiesel, so I guess there is only one way to do it. I'll keep an eye on the fuel lines/filter/injector for the next several weeks.

s1036s

Going off of hedgehog statement, I think B100 also affects copper. I wanted to start making it to use in my home furnace, but my copper lines are buried in the concrete slab, and there was something I read that said b100 wouldnt work that well.
google search of "bidiesel copper"

Use of tanks or lines made of brass, bronze, copper, lead, tin or zinc may cause high sediment formation and promote filter clogging. They are not recommended with B100, or for that matter generic heating oil as well. This is why additive companies are including metal deactivators in premium heating oil packages to tie up the yellow metals so as not to accelerate corrosive act ivies within the storage tanks which the fuel is stored.

May or may not help. let us know what you find out

sethnagy

If biodiesel is up to ASTM standards, copper corrosiveness is not an issue. I have worked with a large biodiesel production facility on several projects. They produce ASTM quality fuel and they have to run a copper test to show it will not corrode. I don't know if home brew has issues or not, but thanks. - Seth

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been burning it for years in my deuce, haven't had a seal or a line go or leak- YET

And it hasn't been B100 all the time, but a pretty good blend usually.

One thing that helps is if you make it at home, wash it well. The more lye and methanol you get out of it, the better.

sethnagy

Awesome!! That is exactly what I was hoping to hear someone say!! I have ASTM quality biodiesel. I want to burn locally grown & produced fuel in my deuce. I don't want to drive my truck knowing my money is going to parts of the world where our guys are fighting.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful information. This site & the MV community is great.

sethnagy

It has been almost three weeks and I've driven 35 miles . . . no leaks or issues. Actually the idle is smoother and the engine is running great. Thanks again for all the help.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks