• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone Using MRAP Air Dryer In M939 Series Truck

gottaluvit

So I cannot build any air pressure and since these need rebuilt every few years anyway I thought I would eliminate the air dryer. Here is what I found.

PURest by Haldex. A seller on some bay is selling them for a bit less than the rebuild kits to rebuild my Pure Air Plus unit. Only 3 holes to drill in existing bracket. Looks like all lines hookup the exact same. Seller has side by side pics to show similarities.
$120 before shipping. Is this a smart move or does the pure air plus do a better job?

Jim

Andrmorr

So I cannot build any air pressure and since these need rebuilt every few years anyway I thought I would eliminate the air dryer. Here is what I found.

PURest by Haldex. A seller on some bay is selling them for a bit less than the rebuild kits to rebuild my Pure Air Plus unit. Only 3 holes to drill in existing bracket. Looks like all lines hookup the exact same. Seller has side by side pics to show similarities.
$120 before shipping. Is this a smart move or does the pure air plus do a better job?

Jim
Welcome to SS!
Several of those sellers are members here on SS.
Yes they work great.
Yes they are the better way to go.
Most of us here have done this already.
Check the SS classifieds.

gottaluvit

Welcome to SS!
Several of those sellers are members here on SS.
Yes they work great.
Yes they are the better way to go.
Most of us here have done this already.
Check the SS classifieds.
Good to know. That is the route I will take. I noticed the seller on bay is from same town as suprman (may have spelled wrong) so I suspect thats him. I will order this evening.

frioman

I installed one three days ago. Instead of drilling 3 holes I decided to buy the $30 bracket from NAPA. If you use the NAPA bracket, remember to attach the bracket to the air dryer first. Also, I had to reuse one of the fittings (looked like brass) from the OEM air dryer. It was about an hour job, even for a novice like me. Of course, make certain all of your air is depleted first. The electrical connection disconnects from about 1 1/2' from the point where it connects to the lower part of the air dryer, so no need to remove the plastic bottom of the OEM dryer to get the wire component off the dryer. Just disconnect the incoming electrical line. The new one will plug right in. It's about 1/4" diameter.

Ford Mechanic

I installed one three days ago. Instead of drilling 3 holes I decided to buy the $30 bracket from NAPA. If you use the NAPA bracket, remember to attach the bracket to the air dryer first. Also, I had to reuse one of the fittings (looked like brass) from the OEM air dryer. It was about an hour job, even for a novice like me. Of course, make certain all of your air is depleted first. The electrical connection disconnects from about 1 1/2' from the point where it connects to the lower part of the air dryer, so no need to remove the plastic bottom of the OEM dryer to get the wire component off the dryer. Just disconnect the incoming electrical line. The new one will plug right in. It's about 1/4" diameter.
You got a number for that napa bracket?

frioman

NAPA
Item: Air Brake Dryer Repair Kits, PURest; Mounting Bracket; HALDEX
Product Number: MBI DQ6051
Quantity: 1
Price: $32.99

goldneagle

I got what was supposed to be an air dryer from an MRAP. It has a governor built in. Has anyone tried to retrofit it onto a M939 truck? If so what did you do about the connections?

frioman

I just installed one and used the aforementioned mounting bracket from NAPA. it's working great. I don't know about the govenor though?

gottaluvit

Ok. I got my dryer late last week and just yesterday fixed my lack of air issue with the compressor unloader. What a joy getting that top basket on that compressor. It's the getting of them two back bolts (especially the right one) just started into the hole in the basket that took 1/2 hour. Then the wrenching, which stinks, was a bit easier. I guess cummins was hard up for engineers. Now if the ground will dry up some I can get my new (better) air dryer on. At least I can now move the truck.

Jim

gottaluvit

The M939 trucks don't have OEM driers. They were installed as part of the MWO for ABS upgrade.
Changing it out yesterday I did in fact see this truck did NOT come originally with air dryer. The bracket was well installed but clearly evident that it wasn't original. Had drilled holes in bracket to bolt up to the crossmember. Definitely done by hand and off center. Good work though.

Jim

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Changing it out yesterday I did in fact see this truck did NOT come originally with air dryer. The bracket was well installed but clearly evident that it wasn't original. Had drilled holes in bracket to bolt up to the crossmember. Definitely done by hand and off center. Good work though.

Jim
Make sure the air lines are plumbed correctly? The P2P software available in the down load section has great diagrams.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks