• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone using this battery?

ssgtwright-usmc

OK, maybe its my computer but that pic link wont download. Try again or actually show a pic.
I dont think its my computer. What does the battery look like?

Bretsuaz48

I get the biggest battery that Wal-mart sells and put it in. Works fine.
I will check them out. New to the MV thing and wasn't sure if I needed something special. Not sure what the problem is yet, but I am going to start with the batteries. It was running when it came through the lane, but wouldn't start after.

jimmy-90

Yes that battery will work. I wish I had gotten batteries like that. Your stock battery trays should be long enough to fit them also, but measure anyhow to make sure. I wouldn't try to use the stock battery hold-downs though. I did that on mine at first and it bent them up when I tightened down on them. I cut up some uni-strut or what ever you call that stuff for a hold down and drilled the battery trays to run threaded rod through. I have pics of it on (my cucv ram-air project) thread.

ssgtwright-usmc

Get the Walmart Inboard/outboard battery Thats what I have in mine. The biggest Marine battery that they sell for $80-90 depending on your location.

ssgtwright-usmc

Oh, keep your receipt from Walmart in a save place. Dont tape it to the battery. My ex brother in law still had keys to my truck and stole my battery.
He took the receipt and got another battery for his own dead battery.
I got screwed and he has 2 new batteries.
He took the date/stamp off of my battery and got a new one for his. He took the receipt and got a secong battery.

panama

I have 2 red-top Optimas in mine and it works fine. Waayyy smaller than the actual trays so it ain't pretty but it's fucntional. BTW I see ya scored sliding rear windows on one of those...SWEET!

Bretsuaz48

I have 2 interstate workaholics in my cucv and the are great -3 here today in Minnesota and plenty of cranking power.
Thanks. I see these in alot of the trucks at auction. I have always had good service from the local Interstate store as well. Here, they sell for $120.00 which I didn't think was too bad.

dm22630

GET BLEMISH BATTS!!!! They are the same as the ones w/stickers on them & are only $35/each NEW!

Call different battery dealers & tell them you want "blemish batts"......I use group 27s in my M1009, M35s, & 5tons. Never a problem.

olivedrab

I just picked up an 1985 CUCV, and this may be a stupid question, but, can I throw two 12 volt batteries in and run it like that. Because the used auto dealer who sold me the car put some old dead batteries in there from who knows when and they were both 12 volt, and I was just wondering if I need a 12 and a 24 volt.

olivedrab

Thanks for the help! And this may be irrelevant to the topic of this thread, but do you know any good websites for parts, especially replacement fuel filters etc.?

Bretsuaz48

I went with the 29h-vhd instead. These are the batteries that were in my M1008 when I bought it from the military and work fine. They only have 660 cca but they work great in the truck. They were only $89.00 each. I was told these batteries were designed for vehicles that vibrate alot.

Bretsuaz48

I have 2 red-top Optimas in mine and it works fine. Waayyy smaller than the actual trays so it ain't pretty but it's fucntional. BTW I see ya scored sliding rear windows on one of those...SWEET!
Well, it has a slider on one side anyway. Guess I need to look for another one for the other side! And a rear window, too.

Last edited:

mtjbrown

Try a truckpro or fleetpride truck parts store. They sell the 31 series batteries for around $95. If they are good enough for a semi they'll crank one of our MVs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks