• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anything to avoid when looking to purchase?

45js45

I am looking to purchase a deuce as a project for my father and I. Is there anything I need to look for or to avoid? This will be a surprise for my father,he is a Ret.SGM and I would like to avoid asking him. I hope to find one that runs well and only needs some minor work.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Air shift transfer is preferred over Sprag. Dropsides are preferred over fixed. Dual circuit brakes are a huge plus. Winch adds about $1k in value.

Check for mud in the differential fluid. Check for signs of abuse.

I'll have one available in a couple of weeks. I'm planning a trip to OH later this summer and can deliver. PM sent.

Edit - make sure it has a title.

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The last thing I want to do is to talk you out of a deuce. All the more so since I have one to sell you....

But let me muddy the waters a bit though -

An 809series 5ton is like a larger deuce with power steering. It'll be no more complex to work on, although everything is heavier. The engine is an 855ci Cummins NH250, with a life expectancy in heavy truck use of a million miles.

The 939series is essentially an updated 809series truck. These have automatic transmissions and full airbrakes. The cabs are also a bit larger. The A0 and A1 have the same nh250 as the 809series trucks, while the A2 has an 8.3 liter turbo diesel and CTIS. CTIS can be easily disabled.

There's no bad choice. You can essentially pick any one of these (including an M35A2) at random and have a very good choice for a toy and a project

You mentioned your father likes an automatic transmission and power steering. That makes the 939series a particularly good choice.

My own choice is a 939series 5ton, A0 or A1. And I'm one of those guys who prefers a manual transmission. The full airbrakes are what make it for me. The A2 variant is clearly a better over the road truck, but for use as a toy there's really no reason to pay the premium that the A2s bring.

I realize that I covered this on the phone. I'm throwing it out here in written form to allow other people to add their perspective to it.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or get the updated deuce lmtv power steering air brakes lots of room dry cab.
There we really muddy it up lol.

snowtrac nome

roomy dry cab and air brakes are what did it for me. I was looking hard and strong at an a-3 duce which would have a low hp 3116 auto trans and power steering

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks