• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Appels M916a1 flatbed winch truck

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I needed a truck with more balls than the m931,to move equipment with.So I took a m916a1 and removed the fifth wheel,cut down a m923 bed.It works great to pull my 10 ton tag a long trailer.This truck has a lot of power,I am real happy with it.Heres a few pics.m916a1 008.jpgm916a1 003.jpgm916a1 004.jpgm916a1 005.jpgm916a1 006.jpgm916a1 007.jpg

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
John, that is just a fantastic build - so simple yet looks so right!

Any room under the bed to respool the winch and have it pay out from the bottom of the drum then back over the original roller but under the bed? (Not great for loading assist of bed, but ok for loading on the trailer.)

That looks great John. I was actually looking to do something like that. My 932 came out great with the bed you sold me. There happens to be a 916 on a popular auction website and that Detroit must sound AWESOME screaming through the woods with some 14.00 super singles!! Ya think they'll fit?

ReoRider

IMG_1767.jpgIMG_1766.jpgIMG_1769.jpgIMG_1760.jpgJust looking into the same deal with super single options for the M916A1. The truck now sits on 11:00's. The 14's fit the hubs fine front and rear on 5 ton combat wheels (DT) in pictures. The rears are about 1 1/2" closer in than the fronts. Might look into spacers or perhaps different wheel on rears with a little more offset to set them out the extra distance. Ideas...? Also pictured is quick try with 16's- fenders both front and rear would need "adjustment".
With the Detroit power the extra road speed with the 14's (50=57) would not present a power problem at all.

John

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now all you need is a roller on the end of the bed.
John - I was looking through the -10 TM and see that the roller is somehow used for hooking up the trailer. Ex-motor pool/transport chaps to speak up now!

2-23 "e. For M916A1 and M916A2, when coupling to M870 semitrailer, pay out winch cable (2-28 and attach to gooseneck on trailer. Release vehicle parking brake to allow vehicle to be pulled back under trailer untill king pin locks into fifthe wheel. Disconnect and stow winch cable (2-25)"

I guess that means the roller is redundant on your truck unless you can put a pair of side roller wheels allowing a bigger fleet angle or even side pulls from the rear..... A side pull ground spade would stow neatly under that bed!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks