• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Appels M998 hmmwv build...

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
Well I have my hands full now.I am building a humvee from scratch.I am starting out with a stripped frame and body.Heres some pics,I have bought alot of parts from alot of different people.Its hard starting with basicaly a stripped frame you dont know what parts you need.I have spent the last month looking at the parts book and searching the internet.Everyone says you buy a runner cheaper than you can build one,I am starting to believe them.I have $12k in parts on the garage floor.I still need another couple of grand in parts.Atleast I will know what I have when I am done.Hope to have it done for Aberdeen show.I am always looking for parts.

Attachments

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
No,Its a military body.The b pillar someone made it and the b pillar mounting brackets.they also made the right hand front cowl,and the D beam.All of which I am removing and replacing with the correct parts.I desperatly need the right hand front cowl with the louvers and the right hand b pillar mounting assembly,and the mounting brackets the air canister mount to.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
Someone must of had this body mounted on a pickup truck at one time,It had a different steering column and petals.

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW! you weren't kidding, that is from scratch, good luck. At least you have good taste in lawn mowers. Got to love Exmarks

nattieleather

HMMWV Some assembly required! Good thing your not trying to put it together under a Christmas tree....lol! :lol:
:beer: Good luck with your project. Keep the pictures coming!

JeffShoots

That is an amazing undertaking. I've had my Civ H1 from 2000 and just the maintenance is a bear.

I have been thinking of upgrading the Motor/trans to a Cummings/ Allison Transmission swap. So I can get 2 wheel drive W/ a six speed, more power + Fuel milage :beer:

What are you using in for a motor trans?

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I tell everyone I am building a humvee from a box.Everyday I get boxes of parts in the mail.This weekend I am giong to start on getting it to a rolling chassis form.I will post pics as the work is complete.

Hightechken

But did you get a good title with some of the bigger pieces????

As time goes on it seems to get harder and harder to register vehicles to drive on the public roads.