• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ARB 5 ton locker

Those Military Guys

Supporting Vendor
Nope we do our best to sell cheap and sell a lot then charge a lot and sell one to be honest we have 2 products we sell that we only make 3 dollars after shipping. Now I hope we can make this happen.
Thanks
TMG

hipaa

FWIW I have ARB lockers in my 1 ton pick up. They were fairly easy to install and have turned my "meh" GMC into an off-road dirt and on-road snow true 4 wheeler. It is not a mud-bogger at all but I have not been stuck in snow or a farm field since I upgraded. My truck has soldiered through 3 foot drifts at speed and kept on going. You will all be shocked at the difference. One thing, when you actuate the front ARB locker you will not be able to turn the wheels unless it is muddy or sandy. If it is hard-packed dirt the lack of spider gears will tend to make the tires go straight. This can rip the steering wheel out of your hands on a harder surface. I hope the group buy goes through as $1500 is a smoking price. Good Luck!

ross165123

I'm just curious if there's any new information on this or if it's still in the making because if it's happening please shut up and take my money for at least 2

Last edited:

Those Military Guys

Supporting Vendor
We have been trying to get something go with arb but they have been making it tough but we have contacted one of there large vendors and they are going to work with us to make this happen so keep your fingers crossed

sweetk30

I know arb has been around for years and good people .

but has anyone contacted Yukon gear & axle ?

the Yukon zip locker is air activated and there a real good unit in the off road area these past few years . gaining a lot of the market . maybe they would do one and even be cheeper ? ? ?

just a idea and hope there is something as 1 day I might want 1 or 2 . . . .

Those Military Guys

Supporting Vendor
Ok here is the deal our vendor for arb wants us to come up with what the demand is going to be for the air lockers for the 5ton trucks
so he can put pressure on them to build a kit for the 5ton trucks. So here is what we need we need you to email us and in the body of the email put your name, email and contact number they will probably not contact you but our vendor feels it would show that we have actual people interested he feels very positive he can make this happen.
so you can send the emails to thosemilitaryguys@gmail.com and i will be forwarding them to him all next Wednesday
thank you
TMG

74M35A2

I'm not sure that makes sense. Efforts always appreciated, but from a business perspective, shouldn't it just be a quote from ARB of price vs volume?

Example:
1 prototype = $10,000
2-5 units = $5000 each
5-20 units = $3000 each
etc.....

Could be a line item for tooling charge also if they are sand cast vs spinning billet on a CNC, or that could be baked into the unit price. 1st protos are typically CNC's from blanks, next several few are typically sand cast.

I can't see how a list of emails alone is going to do anything. As we just went through with the front hub locks, a lot of people were interested, until the price news came out that they were higher priced than what some people paid for their trucks, then interest diminished awfully quick.

A list of people interested and at what price level each would be a somewhat useful tool to the supposed vendor, but even then, it is a match up against ARB's price vs volume schedule.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ARB and / or the vendor likely can extrapolate sales from interest. It's something a company needs to be able to do.

Cause sure, I'm interested. Then I find out they're 4K per axle. And then less interested. See: Locking Hubs.

With the right marketing data they can figure out income level and all that such and qualify if you're a real lead, or just a tire kicker.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What 74M35A2 said.

The market research responsibility is on the company that wants to bring the product to market.

It sounds like the intermediate here does not want to commit to buying x number of units from the fabricator/manufacturer because they don't know the demand. If you can get the fabricator to take the risk of the cost for design and manufacturing, great. That does happen, but there has to be a large demand.

Quote 1k. You don't need a prototype if your company is not doing the engineering. These will probably sell in pairs and a few people will buy three if their truck is not bobbed. That will give you a ballpark idea of the lowest cost per unit. Realistically, I don't see a large demand here unless there is a secondary market in offshore sales.

Good luck.

Those Military Guys

Supporting Vendor
the vendor i talked with wants to show them there is a strong interest because they told me we would need to commit to buying a 100 for them to even consider it and they would cost around 1400.00 each so we are trying to get around that 140,000 is a lot of money out of pocket for something we won't be able to make anything on being we would would be paying full retail at 1400.00 each. now if we can show them there is a big enough interest and one of there big vendors is the one asking maybe we can get things to happen.
so as you can see the price we were quoted is around 1400.00 each
thanks
TMG

I'm not sure that makes sense. Efforts always appreciated, but from a business perspective, shouldn't it just be a quote from ARB of price vs volume?

Example:
1 prototype = $10,000
2-5 units = $5000 each
5-20 units = $3000 each
etc.....

Could be a line item for tooling charge also if they are sand cast vs spinning billet on a CNC, or that could be baked into the unit price. 1st protos are typically CNC's from blanks, next several few are typically sand cast.

I can't see how a list of emails alone is going to do anything. As we just went through with the front hub locks, a lot of people were interested, until the price news came out that they were higher priced than what some people paid for their trucks, then interest diminished awfully quick.

A list of people interested and at what price level each would be a somewhat useful tool to the supposed vendor, but even then, it is a match up against ARB's price vs volume schedule.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the vendor i talked with wants to show them there is a strong interest because they told me we would need to commit to buying a 100 for them to even consider it and they would cost around 1400.00 each so we are trying to get around that 140,000 is a lot of money out of pocket for something we won't be able to make anything on being we would would be paying full retail at 1400.00 each. now if we can show them there is a big enough interest and one of there big vendors is the one asking maybe we can get things to happen.
so as you can see the price we were quoted is around 1400.00 each
thanks
TMG

This sounds right. My latest project I quoted 100 units and two prototypes. The prototypes were $2k each. I needed to do load testing and we needed a demonstrator for sales. The cost per production unit was around $1.5k and we sell them for a little over $3k.

If you don't have the engineering expense and cost to commit to a minimum order, your profit margin can be less.

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking back through this post, I counted 24 people that said they would be interested in at least 1 locker. Just curious, did all of you send your info to TMG? For whatever reason, my subscription to this thread didn't tell me there were more responses so luckily this one came up while I was searching for something else. I have sent my info to TMG. Hopefully this is something we can get going!

JohnnyBM931A2

After reading through this thread, I'm still curious if anyone on here has bought the Detroit lockers from that other company.. I know someone said they are the same setup as the USMC lockers, but that doesn't necessarily mean the quality is the same. I would almost prefer those over air lockers anyways..

Edit: Did some searching through the forum.. I guess the air lockers ARE a much better idea than standard Detroits like the USMC trucks. Seems like the standard Detroits put too much stress on the driveline on dry pavement, and you also get extra tire wear. Also saw that you have to be careful taking turns, and should not apply power, but coast through them. That would take some getting used to. So having selectable axles would be cool.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks