• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Arctic canvas Deuce cab tops?

Aswayze

I happened across a pair of the Arctic canvas cab tops for the Deuce at a Flea Market a little while ago. I had one friend I knew needed a canvas top plus I figured a spare top for my truck wouldn’t be a bad idea to have hanging around so scooped the two of them up.

I gave one to my buddy and figured on sitting on the other one or much more likely cutting all the insulation out of it (LORD IN HEAVEN that stuff adds a lot of weight and bulk) and then tossing the lightened up top under the seat for occasions when I take the truck on trips in the summer with the top down. (I drive my truck a lot and usually have the back end full of gear). I dug around on the net for a bit and haven’t seen one of these for sale anywhere so before I took Mr. Hobby knife to it, I thought I would hop on here and make sure that I was not destroying something super duper rare and hard to find or something.

I am NOT asking for offers, I really do not plan on selling it, just trying to figure out what the best overall plan is for it now that it’s taking up space at my house. Stow it and leave it original? Hack the stuff out of it and put it to use?

What do you guys think?

emr

Keep it Original, it would be sad to tear up that top :) I have found in the last million years I have been alive, every time I customize something, a few years later i wish I did not, just my 2 cents...

Aswayze

Rubber makes sense since this thing is absurdly heavy. Seriously up there with a GP Small tent weight wise.

Perhaps I need to stick it on the truck and see how I feel about it on there. I use this truck for East Wind so I really want it to be more typical 1980s-1990s so I think the canvas top would probably be a little out of place. I suppose I could stash it away till time and age finally beats my vinyl top down.

Emr is obviously right about modifying it... It's just **** tempting since then it's immediately useful instead of being just another weird piece of canvas in my already bloated weird canvas collection.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My tan deuce has an arctic top. Works great in the winter. keeps the cab toasty warm in the winter. I'd say keep it original. If you ever do decide to sell......:-D

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I realize you said you want to keep it. My suggestion...offer it in a trade for a new vinyl top. That way, someone who wants an insulated arctic top will have what they want and you get a new top. Win-win. I will say this...the best plan is definitely NOT to cut the insulation out.

Aswayze

I thought about that but this thing is seriously, absurdly heavy.

I don't think it would be practical to ship it unless someone had a serious boner for an arctic canvas top and I doubt anyone is THAT excited about one.

As far as keeping warm in the winter, my deuce has a fuel fired heater so I barely need a top at all. In fact, it has to be really darn cold before I can drive without the kick vents and back window open. (Low is not very low)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks