• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Arctic kit question

Jetnoise400

Hi,

After looking at the archives, it would seem there are a few folks around here familiar with the CUCV Arctic Heater Kits. I have a question about them in relation to an M1009.

Apologies up front if this is an obvious question...

Would the simple fact of having the arctic heater kit installed on a truck and run in a non-arctic climate (West Coast) cause any overheating problems during summertime temps (80-100F)?

Mind you, the heat wouldn't be turned on, but I was wondering if the fact that the heater partially covers the oil pan and transmission pan might cause a warmer than normal situation in summertime temps.

Thanks!

Armada

Good question. You're thinking that because it won't have the same air flow on the pans. I don't think the difference would be noticable because it has an oil cooler. I would think that if it did cause a problem, there would be something in the TM warning you against running it in hot weather with the pans installed. I would remove the grill gaurd in the summer though if you have that installed. Got any pics of your kit installed?

Jetnoise400

That was my thought exactly. All the extra insulator stuff might have a negative effect on cooling. But I see where you're coming from with the oil cooler. That engine isn't air cooled, so there shouldn't be any reason why it would be any different with or without.

I looked for any warning about that in the manual but didn't find any mention of it, but I figured I'd ask here and see if someone with real world experience might know something different.

I don't have a CUCV, (so no pics... sorry) but I saw the kit in the OP manual and was curious about it. Thanks!

mangus580

The arctic kit would have no effect on the summer operating temp of the engine. (Unless you leave the grill cover on :) )

the only thing that I could even see a possiblity is the hood insulation.... but GM used that on most the civvy versions, so I doubt it.

Basically the part of the heater kit that heats the engine, is just a coolant heater. Essentially a glorified block heater.

Jetnoise400

Thanks for the info Guys! And thanks for the compliment on the ol' FFN. Wish mine looked that way right now, but it will someday...

And BTW, the strangest thing happened on Saturday... an arctic heater equipped M1009 followed me home and decided to stay! :D

Thanks for the help everyone!

Jetnoise400

:lol: How did I know that was gonna be the next post!

OK here goes.. first, this is the best one I have of the truck right now. The sun was going down, and the truck was pointed in the wrong direction for a good front shot. The second pic is a shot of the engine compartment with the heater kit installed, as requested... (and note the battery box covers were removed when this pic was taken)

Attachments

mangus580

Sean, can you get me some close up pics of the drivers fender, and the attachement? My kit did not come with that setup, and I am curious as to what it looks like.

Interesting note on the battery boxes for this kit.... the 6TL's will NOT fit them.

Jetnoise400

Hi Mike,

I have one close up pic of the swingfire heater port (that's what it's for, don't know for sure what it's called). Pay no attention to the dents! :(

As near as I can tell, this isn't a standard part of the heater kit, as it's laid out in the install manual. I've only ever seen that port mounted on one other truck, and it was an M35 out of Alaska (which is where my truck came from)

And yes, those battery boxes will not fit the 6TL. Much smaller battery.

Attachments

mangus580

The only thing I can figure its for, is so when they are at their 'home base' they can hook all the trucks up to one heater unit easily. Does that appear to be what its for? The installation manual I have for my kit, doesnt mention it at all.

Jetnoise400

Well, I do know that this port is made to receive the "Swingfire" heater. If you're not familiar with them, it's kinda like a kero heater with a long probe on the end. You fire it up, insert it into the plug on the fender and it warms things up.

But it seems like it's a redundant system, as the arctic kit would do the same thing, but perhaps this was done to keep from having to run the arctic kit all the time, or maybe it was faster to fire up a number of trucks in cold weather by not having to get inside them to get the heaters going.(?) Just give it a spin on the Swingfire and off you go. That's about all I know about it.

Jetnoise400

While still on the subject, does anyone have any idea where I might find the screw on cover for the lower light socket on the control box for the arctic kit? I have the upper one, but the lower one is gone.

It's got what I believe to be orange lens on the end, and screws onto the bulb socket.. and it's also a button. Kinda cool actually.

Thanks!

Armada

Good looking truck!
I've only seen pictures of the swingfire heater. Does anyone actually have one?
How does this sound, maybe the swingfire was used to warm up the arctic kit heaters before they were started? :)

mangus580

the kit that I used, was sold by a guy on ebay out of Canada, near toronto. At the time I picked mine up, there was about a dozen left. Last I heard though, our very own Hot Rod Deuce went and got the last of them for random projects :)

My kit was actually for a chassis truck, it didnt come with the blazer specific features, as well as it didnt have the pickup specific features either.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks