• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are all Deuces the same?

therbert

Today after 3 weeks of rain, snow, work and sickness. I finally went to the local yard where my duece was dropped by the shipper. My goal was to start it and drive it about 3 miles to my house. I did get it running. Started on the first try with a jump. Since I have another deuce (1967) I am use to all the guages and quirks. The new one is a (1968). It has a bigger steering wheel, no air in the front axle, differnt guages, etc.

I have two main question at this point.

1 On my 67, the Air Pressure stays at 60 PSI exactly. The 68 goes to 120 PSI, Is this normal? I disconnected the wiper air supply and used it to keep the pressure down. Not sure what the correct pressure is supposed to be.

2) My 67's Oil Pressure stays at or above 30 PSI, The 68 is at or above 60 PSI and it has a higher pressure guage, Seems high to me, but what do I know.

Any thoughts would be helpfull.

Thanks Again

Tom

FreightTrain

Banned
The air is WAY off.It should be 120PSI.Do a walk around and check for leaks.Especially the glad hands on the rear.Mine has a service line leak when I hit the brakes.The shutoff valve doesn't shutoff all the way.Get you a cheap air pressure gauge and hook it to the line under the dash on the passenger side firewall and see if you actually have 60PSI.The buzzer doesn't shut off till 60 and if that is all your getting it should go off every time you hit the brakes.

therbert

The buzzer is missing on my 67. I just assumed that it was supposed to be in the middle of the guage like oil, temp, etc. Will it let off the excess like the big rigs do when it gets to 120?

Thanks

Tom

FreightTrain

Banned
The governor on the firewall will tell the compressor to dump it at 120.On my truck if I shut it down and wait about 60 seconds I can here it start hissing slowly then ssssSSSSSSSS POP of the governor.Before I drove that truck I would replace the buzzer.Don't drive it cause if you lose air and run over someone/something cause no brakes you will be in a world of legal trouble and I don't think your insurance will cover ya.

therbert

I hear you, I thought 120 was the wrong PSI. Now I know and can correct it. My dash plates are missing on my 67 and the 68 is so faded, I can't make it out. What sucks is I paid for someone to look over the truck before I picked it up an they were supposed to know what to look for. What about the Oil pressure? What is it supposed to be.

On another note.. My 68 has ABERDEEN PROVING GROUNDS written on it. Does that mean my truck was a target at some point?

Thanks

Tom

FreightTrain

Banned
Anywhere between 10 and 100PSI on the oil pressure.I have one truck(the one in great shape with a newer engine) that has 20-30 on the highway and 10PSI idle but my other one(the worn out one) had around 30PSI idle and 60-70 on the highway.So,basically,if you have oil pressure of any kind your ok.I would rather it be in the 40-70 range personally but what can you do...I have been tempted to shim the OP regulartor or maybe replace it with another to see if I can get more on my better truck.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Military list 10psi to be the min. oil pressure. I've found the gauges to be inaccurate. At one time I had two m35a2s. Truck 1 would show 60psi cold and truck 2 would show 40psi cold. I swaped gauges and then truck 1 would show 40psi and truck 2 would show 60psi.
The 120psi gauges have a different sending unit than the 60psi gauges. If for some reason they get mixed up you will either be showing double what the pressure really is or half what it really is depending on how they are mismatched.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Military list 10psi to be the min. oil pressure. I've found the gauges to be inaccurate. At one time I had two m35a2s. Truck 1 would show 60psi cold and truck 2 would show 40psi cold. I swaped gauges and then truck 1 would show 40psi and truck 2 would show 60psi.
The 120psi gauges have a different sending unit than the 60psi gauges. If for some reason they get mixed up you will either be showing double what the pressure really is or half what it really is depending on how they are mismatched.