• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

are bobbed deuce shocks necessary?

3dAngus

I would think the springs you use would make a heck of a difference. I intend on using M105 springs instead of deuce, and plan on putting in two on each side in a "V" formation for smoothing out the ride. Springs can make it stiff as heck and you can easily go into overkill.
If you plan on towing the max weight or hauling the max, you'll probably need the bigger springs, but if it's a play toy you might want to lighten it up some and go for less rigid bounce. I wouldn't think a shock would help any if you have deuce springs on back and no load on top of it. The heavy springs would never let it compress until you put about a thousand pounds on it.

dilligaf13

I have to agree that without a load on those front deuce springs you probably won't notice whether there are shocks on the rear or not. I've been debating putting rear shocks on myself. If I do it it will be in the next week or so and I'll let you know if there's a difference.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the real question is if bobbed deuces are necessary! :confused:
Sorry....nah, not really :beer:

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the real question is if bobbed deuces are necessary! :confused:
Sorry....nah, not really :beer:

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just messin'. Whatever blows your skirt up. To me, bobbers are like lite mayo, sugar free cookies, tofu, fake bacon and silicone boobies. They aint real deuces, maybe buck and a quarters. Again, sorry, but not! :driver:

Seth_O

I bobbed mine using the M105 springs with the helpers. I ran the truck for a week or more without the springs before installing them (I used the springs from the trailer.) The truck drives better with the shocks than it does without them.

Ride quality was only half the reason I installed them, the other half was to reduce the likelihood of axle wrap (not sure if it that's even possible with a deuce, but since I have blocks, I figured better safe than sorry.)

For the cost in materials and effort, seems like you're better off to do it than not.

MrM4

I plan to put them on my lifted bobber. I get nasty axle wrap with my 1600x20s and a 9" lift. I also plan to build a anti wrap bar. With the box off it is clear that my axle is wrapping a lot.

Francis89

They made a huge difference on the front of mine, need to mount the rears and see if it helps.
I need to bring back to life this old thread. I bought a bobbed deuce and I’m in the process of fixing stuff. There’s no shocks on this deuce. But has shock mounts. They don’t line up of course. Can anyone take a picture of they’re shocks and mounted locations front and rear if you have them. I’m running the 53’s. I’m hoping putting on the shocks will make it a little less bouncy on the road.

thanks

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They work best when as near the wheel as possible and at 90* to the up down travel. Also the shackle angle matters, is best at around 15*. I went with 10 leafs and air for overloads. I don't have the topmount built yet. With stiff springs and 16.00, they would seem to have only a small benefit....but with one mount in place, you are half way there.

Check and make sure your (rear) driveshaft angle is in line with the TC. Also make sure the front is running flat perch, not angled like original on the deuce (see castor angle).

Question how tall is your rear perch?

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks