• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are exhaust stacks illegal on a pickup truck?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They should make toilet pipe intakes ("homemade fording kits") illegal too!

Tornadogt

Come on guys, Stacks aren't all bad (99% of us run around with them) go and look at your MV, they serve a purpose. The OP's stacks are done cleanly and not 16in Dia. over done kind of stuff we can all agree are not even pleasing to the eyes of in any way normal people... BUT THIS on the other hand Takes a special kind of Tard.... no logical reason at all.....

Trashcan1.jpgTrashcan2.jpg

quickfarms

What I have noticed is that 99% of these trucks with stacks, are driven by idiots. They put a smoke switch on the turbo to dump black smoke, weave in and out of traffic and are usually speeding. Yep, they look real cool with the red and blue lights flashing behind them. The only red and blue lights I want to see are on a Christmas tree!
How can I hook up that smoke switch?

loosescrews

They should be illegal on pickups.
I myself could care less what someone does with their personal property. I've met people that think we shouldn't be able to own surplus vehicles in general. To each their own I guess.

I can say to the op, go to a lawyer and see if you have reason to dismiss the charges. If you do, follow through, and if not fix your equipment. If you don't like your local/state/federal laws, work on making them to your liking, and if that fails move to a state that allows what you like. There are 50 wonderful states in our beautiful union, with laws and freedoms for all types of citizens. I love missouri and wyoming myself.

Last edited:

Skinny

All of this can be put to bed if you read your state inspection laws...this is not that difficult. They are going to vary greatly on where you live. I'm sure the biggest ones will be if your state is heavy on emission inspection laws. Most allow for zero modification to the intake or exhaust unless the parts have a CARB number on them. You could then go to Florida where there is no inspection and look cool with your 12" lift springs and stacks. You may be stuck in the middle where only OBDII vehicles are tested for emissions and therefore cannot be modified.

Know the law and have the ammunition to fight the fight in the side of the road. If you are cited due to someone's opinion you can at least rest assured that it will be thrown out.

BTW...if you want stacks, buy a medium duty truck that comes with a set :)

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unfortunately to the best of my knowledge they are legal, COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS but unfortunately still legal!!!
KK

JohnnyBM931A2

Nothing wrong with people doing stacks on pickups, as long as they are done "tastefully." However, I can't stand the previously mentioned idiots who add smoke kits to their trucks, or run them so rich that they belch black smoke every time they accelerate.

Check your local laws regarding this issue. The officer may have just been giving you a hard time.

iatractor

Regarding exhaust exiting at the rear of the vehicle, wonder how that would work if one was operating an aircraft refueler? Most of the ones I've seen have the exhaust right behind the front bumper.

JohnnyBM931A2

That's like saying there's nothing wrong with barfing all over the table at a formal dinner party, as long as it's done "tastefully."
I don't get why people have such a problem with them.. They're just pieces of exhaust pipe. Would I ever put them on a pickup that I owned? No. But automatically calling someones truck or the person driving it a piece of sh!t because you don't share their interests is unacceptable.

Amer-team

Stacks aside, be thankful. In WA you would have gotten a ticket or maybe a first warning for not having mud flaps that extend down to the middle of the rear axle housing. part of the safety feature, so you don't kick up rocks to the person following.

JohnnyBM931A2

Stacks aside, be thankful. In WA you would have gotten a ticket or maybe a first warning for not having mud flaps that extend down to the middle of the rear axle housing. part of the safety feature, so you don't kick up rocks to the person following.
Interesting. I don't believe they require mudflaps on pickups here in Illinois. Or if they do, the police do not enforce it, because I have never known anyone (or heard of anyone) who was pulled over for that.

My only issue with his setup is the lack of some kind of guard or shield covering the exhaust stacks coming up through the bed. Seems like those could be easily damaged by shifting loads in the bed, or worst case start a fire if something flammable slides forward and gets forced against them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks