• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are HMMWV slant-back top sets still around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I'm not in a position to buy one right now, but I think I'd like to convert my HMMWV into a 4-door slant-back hard top configuration with an MG mount on the turret at some point in the foreseeable future. It's presently set up as a shelter carrier with a GRC-122 RTTY set on the back, which is cool because I'm a military radio guy and I haven't seen any other civilian-owned HMMWVs configured that way. I've always liked the looks of the slant-back trucks, though, and I suspect my truck would drive better without that great big air brake sticking up on top.

I don't think I've seen a slant-back hard top set for sale in a long time, and I recall them selling in the $10k range back in the day. Are they still around without trucks attached to them? If so, what price range do they sell in nowadays? I'm just thinking ahead to one of my potential future projects, and wondering what the options might be.

BLK HMMWV

Your in the ballpark with $10,000.
That would be for a complete unit .
They are drying up out here on the Left coast.
There are some on the east coast but shipping will only add to the cost.

You can find them a part here and a part there and piece one together. It will probably be cheaper that way but then it might take awhile to find all the pieces. If you find someone that has a complete slant back set up thats what they did . So they have invested allot of time in doing it and that is why the pricetag remains high. The hardest part to find is the turret ring support structure that attaches to the slantback front windshield and B pillar supports.
As well as the correct front windshield. However there are ways to convert the soft top windshield frame to a hard top windshield frame.
So I would suggest if you do want one try and find those pieces first.
If you do find them and buy them and a complete slantback set up comes along you can always sell the turret ring support off.

BH

Just so you know as I'm sure you have already heard they leak like a sive in the rain so make sure you store it inside during the rainy months.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Thanks!

My current 2-door soft top doesn't do much good in the rain, either, so I'm not expecting the leaky turret to surprise me too much. I'd park the truck indoors anyway.

I think I'm going to have to sell off my nice, new wrecker soon to pay some vet bills, and I was thinking that I might also convert my nice, new 5-ton cargo truck into a hard top for the HMMWV. As cool as the 5-tons are, I've always lusted after a slant-back HMMWV, and I'd drive that a lot more often...

nf6x

Feral Engineer
BTW, I have a set of front "X" doors already, but I would need to get rear doors if and when I buy a hard top. Maybe I'd need to sell off an extra pair of front "X" doors when I was done, depending on what I ended up finding as a package deal.

BLK HMMWV

Well there you go from a reliable source who is in the buisness of working on and selling HMMWV's.
I'd say Ted has a better grip on the price then I do.
So basically your looking at a big chunk of coin for a slant back set up.
Yikes!!!!!!

TedG

One might find a non-complete one for less but small bits bite you in the wallet. Plus time looking costs.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two weeks ago, on a weekend , I found two complete humvee's with slant back tops behind a police station in the weeds.
So far they won't call back, and next time I'm east of Cailf a 1000 miles or so, I'll stop by and talk with the Sheriff during the week and see what they are going to do with the tops since they can't sell the trucks.

Attachments

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Interesting. I see they're still sitting on 8 bolt rims, too. Upgrading to radial tires on 12 bolt rims is another one of the things on my to do when I have the spare cash list.

BLK HMMWV

They have 24 bolt rims out now.
I have a set of 24 bolts I need to mount up and install then I will have (4) 12 bolt rims with some PJ dirt grips on them to get rid of.

EdMontana

I'm not in a position to buy one right now, but I think I'd like to convert my HMMWV into a 4-door slant-back hard top configuration with an MG mount on the turret at some point in the foreseeable future. It's presently set up as a shelter carrier with a GRC-122 RTTY set on the back, which is cool because I'm a military radio guy and I haven't seen any other civilian-owned HMMWVs configured that way. I've always liked the looks of the slant-back trucks, though, and I suspect my truck would drive better without that great big air brake sticking up on top.

I don't think I've seen a slant-back hard top set for sale in a long time, and I recall them selling in the $10k range back in the day. Are they still around without trucks attached to them? If so, what price range do they sell in nowadays? I'm just thinking ahead to one of my potential future projects, and wondering what the options might be.
Don't forget that you also will need to upgrade the wheels, springs and shock absorbers for the extra weight.

I was thinking in going that way also, but after reading and hearing so many complaints about it, just a few...besides the hi cost, leaks like buckets of water in your face, very noise, very hot and piss poor visibility, extra weight leading to less power....so, reality hits me in the head and I changed my idea and saved $12K plus, too much non sense just for looks in my opinion.

Attachments

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I have already upgraded the rear suspension as part of my shelter carrier upgrade. I still need to dig through the parts manuals to see if the upgrades I made are suitable for a slant-back configuration, too. I swapped out the upper spring seats, coil springs, shocks and lower control arms, but I need to do my research to see if the shelter carrier suspension components are the same as the weapon carrier ones.

I want to upgrade my tires and wheels anyway.

Visibility won't be any worse in the slant-back than it is on my shelter carrier. Maybe better, since I'd at least have rear passenger door windows to look through. I've had my truck configured naked, as a 4-door soft cargo truck with and without the cargo area cover, as a 2-door soft cargo truck with and without the troop seats and cargo area cover, and as a shelter carrier, so I've experienced lots of variations in visibility already. Oh, and I've also had the fording kit snorkel and exhaust stack both on and off, for more variations of stuff blocking my vision. That backup camera system that I got for my M923 might end up on my HMMWV instead, so that'll help with the rear visibility.

Rain leakage would probably be similar; more water coming in from above, but less coming in along the bed under the rear cab curtain. I'd still be soaked in the rain in either case.

Noise might be worse in the slant-back than in my shelter carrier. Maybe I can reduce it a bit with some padding, or maybe not. I already wear earplugs for anything other than a very short drive anyway.

Just for looks? Well, if I didn't want to spend money just for looks, I'd sell off the HMMWV and just drive my Tundra! :D

BLK HMMWV

The leaks in the slant back are mostley found at the rear hatch seal were it meets the tail gate and the turret area as well as around the turret itself.
You will get used to the visibility issues like you said you will have 2 more windows over the shelter carrier.
The squeaks and noise issues ,well mine was a slant back when I got it so I don't know what a quiet HMMWV sounds like.
We don't get that much bad weather out here ,and it looks like you have a big stable of other vehicles to choose from for bad weather.
My main problem is I can't stop spending money on all the accessories for it.
Slant backs were weapons carriers after all and I'm not much on total restoration to the M# so mine is a combination of everything from a M998 to a M1114. I can't afford multiple HMMWV's so I kind adopted the all for one approach.

You won't loose any money on the slant back kit should you decide to buy one thats for sure.

BH

Streetlegal

I just so happen to have a slant back i was thinking about making a soft top out of.. I honestly dont like the looks of the thing...
I bought mine mostly to cruse the property with my son and goof around in.. a soft top and doors are what im going to put on her.
Why are the slant backs so sought after any how? personal taste or something im missing?

BLK HMMWV

For me it's the round sun roof ;) I needed a quad pod for Ma.
Really it is probably a personal taste thing.
There a fewer slantback trucks . Mine was a 998 and I turned it into a 1026 . You seem to be thinking of going the other way.
I will tell you if you ever plan on selling it you will get more for your truck as a slantback 1026 then you will if you turn it into a soft top 1026 unless you keep the parts.

Robus1022

I am in the process of building an aluminum riveted slant back with angled corners to match the angled aluminum top. Going to skip the turret hole for sake of staying dry. Vehicle will only be used in emergency/disaster scenario. 10k for a roof is what I see them going for. Seeing as how the truck was $7000...... Might be an option for you.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This has turned in to want ad and a for sale ad. Those belong in the classifieds
Already moved a dozen posts.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks