• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are "HMMWVS hand made"

Crauly

I have a HMWMV 1985 m998 which was converted into a Hard top, slant back. I have been working on it for a while and near completion. I recently purchased a rock slider from a company which will, for now, remain nameless. But their product is off from fitting flush (near flush) by over an inch. There is over a 1" gap from the floor panel to the bottom rocker. They keep telling me that "there hand made..." As a reason why it wont fit. Or just press it in....

My question to the people here with far more knowledge than I. Is could this be a valid argument?

I could see a 1/8 or even a 1/4 inch variance. But over an inch?

thanks for any advice?
Be well

CS

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh hell no they are not hand made. AMG has a very sophisticated fixture they use to assemble, glue and rivet the body together. That fixture has been in use since the 80's. We will see it at this year's factory tour as part of the MVPA convention.

Action

I have a HMWMV 1985 m998 which was converted into a Hard top, slant back. I have been working on it for a while and near completion. I recently purchased a rock slider from a company which will, for now, remain nameless. But their product is off from fitting flush (near flush) by over an inch. There is over a 1" gap from the floor panel to the bottom rocker. They keep telling me that "there hand made..." As a reason why it wont fit. Or just press it in....

My question to the people here with far more knowledge than I. Is could this be a valid argument?

thanks for any advice?
Be well

CS
How about a picture of what you are describing?

Action

Are you are saying that you hold the rock slider up to the HMMWV body, and there is an inch gap between the rock slider and the floorpan of the HMMWV? If so, that is going to happen, because the body's rocker panel is about 1" lower than the floor.....

Crauly

Are you are saying that you hold the rock slider up to the HMMWV body, and there is an inch gap between the rock slider and the floorpan of the HMMWV? If so, that is going to happen, because the body's rocker panel is about 1" lower than the floor.....

there is a channel that the lower lip is suppose to ride into.

Crauly

there is a channel that the lower lip is suppose to ride into. The are 2 bends that ride into both wheel wells. The flat panel that is suppose to attach to the floor is smaller in length than the floor. Thus the angled plates hit the angles of the body and don't line up/mirror.

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter

thanks for any advice?
Be well

CS
Hand made by Keebler Elves inside a big tree.

:/

500,000 plus handmade war vehicles. LOL

mechanicjim

thanks for any advice?
Be well

CS
Perhaps they meant that their rock sliders are hand made and as such are made with a tolerance for "warped" bodies.
and yes all military vehicles are hand made, on an assembly line with very tight tolerances, with multiple points of QA to make sure they meet the design specs.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm having trouble visualizing your complaint. The rear of the HMMWV rockers curve upwards. They are flat until about 8-12 inches from the rear fender, where they angle upwards. Is that what you're referring to, or are you also upset that the rocker is a bit long?

Just add internal steel to make up for the long length.

springer1981

The plain rock sliders I have seen look like a much better fit and finish. I would not be happy with the fit and finish based on the your pictures.

Lothar

Looking through your pictures again, I wonder if it might be possible to alter the underside of the panels so that they are able to raise vertically enough that the ends fit tighter against the fender wells. It is hard to tell without being there. The shot that shows the whole panel from the outside looks as if it is sitting at least a full inch lower than where it should. I don't have experiance with the rock sliders but I am a fabricator with more years than I'd prefer and "press them in" sounds like terrible advice to me.

Last edited:

Action

the back of yours is definitely not up all the way...
BTW, how do these attach to the body? they didn't supply stainless steel hardware, did they?

1622251189906.png

Crauly

I'm having trouble visualizing your complaint. The rear of the HMMWV rockers curve upwards. They are flat until about 8-12 inches from the rear fender, where they angle upwards. Is that what you're referring to, or are you also upset that the rocker is a bit long?

Just add internal steel to make up for the long length.
It's actaully oposite. The floor of the Rocker panel is shorter than the floor of the hmmwv. So when the angles meet, Rocker panel and truck they are off and create a 1.inch gap.

It's confusing. I had to see it in person to understand it.👍

Crauly

Looking through your pictures again, I wonder if it might be possible to alter the underside of the panels so that they are able to raise vertically enough that the ends fit tighter against the fender wells. It is hard to tell without being there. The shot that shows the whole panel from the outside looks as if it is sitting at least a full inch lower than where it should. I don't have experiance with the rock sliders but I am a fabricator with more years than I'd prefer and "press them in" sounds like terrible advice to me.
Altering the rock sliders is what my fab guys are saying to do make it fit correctly. They say they can do it no problem. However they also added that it cost $$. And they don't believe I should have to pay for a plug and play part to be altered. I agree. Not to mention on there site it mentions nothing about altering anything. Thanks for the post

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks