• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are hydraulic winches hard to come by?

Mos68x

Unless I'm winching out some poor sap in his puny 4x4 Ranger I really don't see much of any instances where I would be using only the outermost layer of winch line. I will almost always use at least double pulley snatch blocks to reduce the load on the line and the winch, which when setup will use most of the line on the winch.

snowtrac nome

I agree but, a 2 part block that will hold 20 k is going to be pretty heavy. for most of my winching needs say pulling out a 4x4 or, loading a trailer its nice to use a single line pull, and only 2 part the winch when doing a self recovery or another large vehicle like mine.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Electric works when the engine is off, Hyd works under water, electric get warm and have duty cycle, hyd run slower. You can power an elec from a different vehicle. Hyd offers speed control. Both have many pro and cons. Also keep in mind when using blocks you can easily create mechanical advantages that can exceed breaking strength on fittings. Couple in shock loading and mud suction to make things more complicated.

ramdough

I think the locker would help you more in a bad situation than the winch. Winching is a dangerous sport anyways.
I agree sort of. I prefer to have Lockers to help not get stuck, but once you are stuck and your Lockers did not help. You are really stuck and a winch would be really helpful.

I plan to do both eventually. I will have Lockers first, then a rear winch, and then maybe a front one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snowtrac nome

my plan is to avoid getting stuck. sometimes mistakes happen but usually the need to winch can be avoided. if I think I need a winch to get some place I will likely decide I don't need to be there that bad. if I get stuck around here I still have to bring in an anchor anyways as there is really nothing to tie off to

Mos68x

I agree sort of. I prefer to have Lockers to help not get stuck, but once you are stuck and your Lockers did not help. You are really stuck and a winch would be really helpful.

I plan to do both eventually. I will have Lockers first, then a rear winch, and then maybe a front one.
I agree, I don't really do much playing around, though I do still get the urge to throw some mud around. I want the lockers first and then I'll work on getting the winches. More often than not I can avoid getting stuck in the first place while getting where I need to go. But because I plan on traveling the americas I want to be fully prepared, or at least as much as I possibly can.

snowtrac nome

just remember unless there is a dozer near by or some real big trees its still going to cost to get an anchor point on site heavy enough to pull a 20k truck out. I don't live where there big trees. but even when I lived in south central Alaska there were only a few places trees got that big

Mos68x

just remember unless there is a dozer near by or some real big trees its still going to cost to get an anchor point on site heavy enough to pull a 20k truck out. I don't live where there big trees. but even when I lived in south central Alaska there were only a few places trees got that big
I plan on making or getting a good ground anchor for those times when I don't have anything tie off to.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the occasional or "just in case" self recovery I'd consider an electric winch to be OK. Bring plenty of snatch blocks... if you hit duty cycle just pause until it cools.

If you're doin winch operations for the sake of winch operations (dragging trees all day etc), then you want a PTO winch.

Electric winches are much cheaper, and a much easier install.

ramdough

For the occasional or "just in case" self recovery I'd consider an electric winch to be OK. Bring plenty of snatch blocks... if you hit duty cycle just pause until it cools.

If you're doin winch operations for the sake of winch operations (dragging trees all day etc), then you want a PTO winch.

Electric winches are much cheaper, and a much easier install.
In my situation it would be a just in case.

I would also want probably 2 land anchors since they probably would not suffice to just have one on a 20k winch.

Mos68x

Just for some info, you can find the parts numbers in TM 9-2320-272-24P-2 Fig 455-459. That's the for the fiddly bits for the M939A2 in general, they do have other figures for more specific builds like the wrecker and dump. Fig 462 to 470 covers the larger assembly pieces, like pump, winch, and chassis bits. Figured I would post that up since I'm stumbled on while looking for the replacement passenger mirror frame for my truck.

MGKMartin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I spent most of yesterday finishing up the install of one of the winches on a M1083A1. it is possible to do it with the transmission still in the truck, but it is a real pain. The rest of the install is a lot of heavy lifting, but not overly complicated if you have all the parts.

ramdough

I spent most of yesterday finishing up the install of one of the winches on a M1083A1. it is possible to do it with the transmission still in the truck, but it is a real pain. The rest of the install is a lot of heavy lifting, but not overly complicated if you have all the parts.
Any pictures of the install?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks