• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are prices going up?

Al Harvey

GL prices tend to be higher than what the private market prices are. People will pay more for a unknown condition truck fro GL because they get caught up in the bidding frenzy. But they won't pay the same price for a truck that they can kick the tires on. Crazy I tell you.
That is what amazes me the most.

The other thing I've noticed is that there are a lot of people buying them and trying to flip them. I believe they see them on fleabay for 10k plus and think they can sell it for that. They don't do any market research and realize those trucks keep getting re-posted and don't sell for that. I saw a CL ad the other day where I guy was trying to just break even after buying two 5 tons and then they sat in his yard and now he needs the money he spent on buying them.

The deuce price is starting to settle as many are upgrading to 5 tons but the price will slowly keep rising as there are fewer out there and there will not be anymore entering the market in quantity. The best thing you can do is get with someone who knows the trucks well like Clinto. They can help you get something that is in good condition and at a fair price. Nothing worse then "getting a good deal" and then having to drop soo much $$$$$$$ into it that it costs you more in the long run.

As for 5 tons, I do see the prices coming down some in the future (private market) as people try to get out from under their investment and as trucks start breaking because the owners aren't performing proper maintenance. Also when the LE starts to sell them off because the can't afford to maintain or fuel them anymore. (and the ones who got them just to sell them)

But this is a niche market and as others have stated, the new toy (LMTV) is coming out.

Quite a few for sale around here. All $6000 to $10000. I remember a few years ago seeing them for private sale in the Lancaster farmer for $3000 to $5000.

I would personally stay away from a 5 ton cause even if they are titled and registered antique I was told you still need a CDL to drive them. This was a by a good friend who works in local law enforcement.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to be picking up a 923 in the near future. It's getting to the point where I can hardly drive the deuce any more (MS related muscle weakness). I can hardly drive the wife's M37 either. Having an automatic and power steering will make sure I can remain active in this hobby hopefully for a few more years. The problem I'm having is deciding whether to sell the deuce or not. I hate the idea of it sitting in the driveway rotting away but hate to give it up too.

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
A few years back I bought four deuces for 1000 each out in Ark. These were bought sight unseen but there was a lot of them in one sale and they were all Arkansas NG trucks. I did not mean to buy four, I put in an auto bid on a bunch of them and when the sale was over I had won four.
Even counting the cost to ship two back and flat towing one with another I only ended up with around 1500 in each one. I made a few bucks off of them and of course spent it on that accursed government auction site we all love/hate.
The 5 tons will never be as cheap as the deuces were, there were not as many of them made, the scrap price is higher and there is a big demand for them since they can be used for more civilian purposes than the deuce.
One reason I left the deuce club for the 5 tons is a very bad left knee (from 45 years of clutching a multitude of standard shift vehicles).
I think that in itself is a reason a lot of younger people are buying them, fewer and fewer people can master the standard transmission.
I have noticed that a lot of local governments are drawing them out in large numbers for the purpose of reselling them for a profit after hey hold them for a specified period of time. There is a small town near me that has 5 dump trucks in their yard. Methinks some of those towns are abusing the privilege.
They will most likely sell higher than they do on GL since the agencies can send someone to hand pick them.

215Dave

If you are really are sold on a deuce, deals can be found. I bought mine a year ago from a private party for $2500 W/W, proper state title, etc. Only needed a master cylinder replaced. I learned about it from a friend that knew a guy type deal. To keep it short, you STILL can find those deals. Just few and far between, just a little patience and homework... It can happen.
Best of luck!

Last edited:

Merc1973

Deals are out there. Keep looking. I got my low mileage W/OW Deuce in December 2013. It was in perfect running order for $3100 and drove it home 100 miles.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks