• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are the dip stick accurate on ECV trucks ?

HUMMER H1

I bought an ECV humvee that was sold as not runner,
I started today and runs beautifully.
However transmission doesn’t engage unless I raise the Rpm to 2000 ish

all the symptoms show no fluid, transmission pan bolts were taken off ( I assume to drain the fluid)

but the dip stick shows a little over than normal X mark,

is it possible the dip stick is not accurate?

later model 4L80e transmissions don’t have a drain plug I can’t drain and start all over,

thank you

Eric

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1-“dip stick” not always accurate on hand built trucks.
2-drop the pan, catch the fluid, and reseal with NEW FILTER.
3-I will look for tranny troubleshooting guide.
Edit - Mogman posted below but I will post here also… https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/new-humvee-owner-transmission-question.216108/#post-2528478

4- I told you on the phone that this is exactly what my M1165 did, so we added fluid and that fixed it. Overfilling can cause problems and damage though.

Engine sounds awesome!

Last edited:

HUMMER H1

1-“dip stick”.
2-drip the pan, catch the fluid, and reseal with NEW FILTER.
3-I will look for tranny troubleshooting guide.
4- I told you on the phone that this is exactly what my M1265 did, so we added fluid and that fixed it.

Engine sounds awesome!
drop the pan and drip 😂😂

I guess since I don’t know how much ATF is in the transmission, I have. I choice but to stop the pan and start over again, at that time I’ll also add drain plug.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mogman beat me to posting 👍. Nice work Mog.

Last edited:
the guys on here were really helpful when my tranny was acting funny.

have you tired using a jumper wire and seeing if there are any tranny codes?

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eric has forgotten to update. 🙄🙄🙄

Fluid was checked with truck running.

Eric dropped the tranny fluid pan and tranny only had a couple of quarts in it. Dip stick was very innacutate.

Eric refilled with correct volume and tranny shifts properly.

I don’t mean to steal his thunder. I just thought you all deserved an answer to all outstanding questions. He and I talk daily.

Last edited:

HUMMER H1

Eric has forgotten to update. 🙄🙄🙄

Fluid was checked with truck running.

Eric dropped the tranny fluid pan and tranny only had a couple of quarts in it. Dip stick was very innacutate.

Eric refilled with correct volume and tranny shifts properly.

I don’t mean to steal his thunder. I just thought you all deserved an answer to all outstanding questions. He and I talk daily.
thank you Charles

so yes dipstick showed normal operating level however transmission only had 3qts of ATF in there,
And because those transmissions don’t have drain plug, I had no choice but to remove then pan to drain everything and start all over again,

With the large transmission cooler of ECV
It takes about 4 gallons of dextron 3 to get the transmission working again. Dipstick is not accurate in ECV humvees, now I check the level and it shows well about the X mark,
In fact I compared that to my other running M1152 and that also shows well above X mark.

first washIMG_8022.jpegIMG_8011.jpeg73082968525__5451C029-2B8F-438E-8503-188D46233E1C.jpeg

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Calibrate the dip stick? Not accurate?
I service maybe 2 Transmissions per week…all turbo and NA 4 speed trucks, never has a transmission taken 4 gallons of ATF.
it takes quite a bit of time to fill properly, it cannot be rushed, you get a false reading on the dipstick from fluid still in in the filler neck, also engine must be running in park and shifted through all gears, pay attention to the hatch mark side of the stick, not the smooth side.

Dry 13.5 qt (12.8 L)
Drain & Refill 7.7 qt (7.3 L)

HUMMER H1

Calibrate the dip stick? Not accurate?
I service maybe 2 Transmissions per week…all turbo and NA 4 speed trucks, never has a transmission taken 4 gallons of ATF.
it takes quite a bit of time to fill properly, it cannot be rushed, you get a false reading on the dipstick from fluid still in in the filler neck, also engine must be running in park and shifted through all gears, pay attention to the hatch mark side of the stick, not the smooth side.

Dry 13.5 qt (12.8 L)
Drain & Refill 7.7 qt (7.3 L)
14 qt is 3 gallons
if it seats longer period eventually big ECV trans cooler also drains into the pan.

to refill everything back up is 3.9 gallons to be exact

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter

tomelroy

Confirming that the dip stick is measuring the correct depth of fluid in the pan should be ruled out. If everything else is done right, maybe somebody swapped out the dip stick from something else or ??? 99+ percent it was correct off the line. Only way to rule this out is droop the pan and make sure it is correct. If it is correct I would assume I am doing something wrong in my check procedure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks