• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are there essentially only 2 different hoods?

BruDogGA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am trying to source a hood and I've located one but there is no part number on it to make sure it fits my M1097R1. I've seen the early models with a hood that has grill built in (what's on my truck). Then there's the newer models that have the headlights with grill that are NOT part of the hood. I hate to ship this thing in from California and it not be the right part.

Last edited:

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have installed the reinforcing kit on one truck that had no cracks, still no cracks, have no idea if that is why but the "kit" seems like a good idea!
I did the same on my remanufactured hood. I'll let you all know in 10 years if it's cracked yet. ;)

But either way, if you are buying a new hood.. I'd definitely recommend re-enforcing it.

BruDogGA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found one on GOVT planet that is a single brand new hood in crate. Also, I know a guy who works for a LTL freight dispatch company. If I win the auction, he's gonna slap it on the next truck he can get to Yermo. I suppose I could wait and look for one that is more local but I am not a patient person. The damage to the hood would impact the vehicle being driven on the road since the left corner that has the turn signal on it is ripped off. Plus, I finally got notification the rig is en route to my location. Might see it this weekend or early next week.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found one on GOVT planet that is a single brand new hood in crate. Also, I know a guy who works for a LTL freight dispatch company. If I win the auction, he's gonna slap it on the next truck he can get to Yermo. I suppose I could wait and look for one that is more local but I am not a patient person. The damage to the hood would impact the vehicle being driven on the road since the left corner that has the turn signal on it is ripped off. Plus, I finally got notification the rig is en route to my location. Might see it this weekend or early next week.
If you get it be aware that crate will not likely be properly secured, the person picking it up will need the secure the lid on the crate.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where does one get the reinforcement kit? and if it says 998 will it also fit the 1123?
I got mine off of fleabay and I am sure it would fit all but the turbo trucks.
EDIT, any kit you buy will likely be old stock, I had some difficulty with the double sided tape that was provided, in hind sight I should have just replaced it with new 3M stuff but I already had the hood off so I did not want to wait.

Last edited:

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got mine off of fleabay and I am sure it would fit all but the turbo trucks.
EDIT, any kit you buy will likely be old stock, I had some difficulty with the double sided tape that was provided, in hind sight I should have just replaced it with new 3M stuff but I already had the hood off so I did not want to wait.
Same, ebay.. $50.. had to remove the old VHT tape and replace it with new (that I got on Amazon). Total cost with shipping with the new tape was less then $75 total.

I THINK it will work on the turbo trucks, but I'm not 100% sure. (I've not seen the underside of the ECV in person.) Might be worth taking the chance, might not.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where does one get the reinforcement kit? and if it says 998 will it also fit the 1123?
The M1123 is identical to the M998A2 except for a few things having to do with the rear bumper not being installed on the M1123 and the fording kit already installed.
A few other things as well, but those are the main ones.

Pretty much all HMMWVs are the same basic components no matter what their designation, as long as they are the same generation. The M1123 is the first of the trucks that doesn't follow the A0/A1/A2 as it was first designated when the M998A2 came out with the rear airlift bumper installed and the Marine Corps didn't want the bumper.

Then the ECV/REV 4th and 5th generation trucks came out with different model numbers than any of the previous trucks (often referred to as the M11XX or 11 series trucks, but NOT to be confused with the M1123 as it's a 3rd generation truck)

Thinks like soft tops, doors, windshields, and some other stuff work across every single generation of truck.

Does this help at all?

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had 5 crated hoods. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. was broken inside the closed and banded crates. Maybe you get lucky? But don’t dump a huge amount of dough on it. There are tons of plenty good used ones around for cheap.