• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are there M35A2's around that were repowered with M35A3 drivetrain.

PROSTOCKTOM

I have heard stories that there are some M35A2 trucks floating around that were repowered with M35A3 engines and transmissions.

If these do in fact exist what designation are they called ?

Or are they still just A2's ?

Would love to have one of these If they did in fact do this.

Tom

Last edited:

KsM715

Yes and no. Yes because an a3 is 2 a2 trucks rebuilt into one and repowered with an a3 engine and drivetrain.

No, because the a3 engine will not fit in an a2 engine bay. The a3 has that goofy backsloping hood and wide eyed headlight spacing because the rad. had to be moved forward

If it has a cat motor its an a3

Last edited:

RealCavDog

Hey Jeff ! Long time since I talked to you ! Anyway, the more I look at my A3, the more I think that the hood does not slope back as much as I thought, it seems more like an optical illusion due to the angle cut of the side panels, combined with the angled slope of the hood not as low in the front as an A2 !

Higher than an A2, but more level than sloping backwards, that air-to-air cooler for the Cat sure takes up alot of room !

We need an update on the dumping 105 !

CatMan

M35A2 With A3 Cat Engine repower

Will a Cat 3116 engine fit in an A2 engine bay? YES! Well actually a little history. When the Service Life Extension Program (SLEP) was being considered as a stop gap until the FMTV production was up and running, Cat worked with defense contractors who were developing what became the M35A3. At the time the 3116 truck engine was available in a non aftercooled configuration.

They installed several 160HP Cat 3116T's in M35A2's to develop the A3 proto types. During the development the emissions laws changed and that required adding Air To Air Aftercooling (ATAAC) making the engine a 3116TA.

Cat developed and promoted a kit for repowering existing A2's with the 3116T only engine. It never really panned out because only the ATAAC engine was available then.

Attached are a couple photos of one of the prototype installations at a vendor site in Indiana and the front page of the Cat repower spec sheet. Dated 1989.

You would have to find a pre 1991 3116T non aftercooled truck engine to repower a A2 but it can be done.

And now you have "the rest of the story"

Cat Man

Attachments

KsM715

I stand corrected. :D

That why I love this site. I learn something new every day. Perhaps some of these early prototypes do exisist.

Last edited:

mcmullag

retro fit/morphing/frankenstein

I believe this program took place in the early '90's, they were able to get about 2 a3's built out of using 3 deuces for parts. Met a guy at a car show here who worked at the plant in Indianna during this program. The hood was widened four inches because the cat engine needed a bigger radiator. He mentioned something about the first batch completed went to FL and something was not done right on the axles so those trucks had to come back and have that re-worked.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Attached are a couple photos of one of the prototype installations at a vendor site in Indiana and the front page of the Cat repower spec sheet. Dated 1989.
Looking at the third photo: that still is the old mechanical PTO-driven winch!?
So were they planning to retain the original Spicer w/PTO, at first? Or was it an auto tranny with the mechanical winch PTO attached ??

G.

emr

At first the question was answered in my mind too , like no, BUT this turned into a Very Very awesome thread, like the good ol days :) good talk about stuff even the ol guys dont know about, way to go and thanks, U are very knowledgeable and it is appreciated. Thanks for asking too :)

Sephirothq

I bought one of those prototype vehicles from GSA a few years ago. It is a M36E3. I offered it up here once or twice to the group if someone wanted to own it. My current plans are to bob it. I sold the bed and the rear axle. I have yet to cut the frame.
the basics on the truck are as follows:
3116 cat 170 hp,
ZF 5 speed transmission
air assist steering
dual circuit brakes
air dryer
electric wipers
and the seat belts with the shoulder harness.

I have gotten a 900 series tractor spare tire and tool box for behind the cab
and a m105a3 bed for it.
I am going to add a winch setup like mud guppy has on his truck
I have a few different tire choices (14.5, or 395)
I also have a front suspension from an m35 or trailer springs from a m200a1

all that being said I don't want to hear "don't do it".
that time has past.

camoyj7

I bought one of those prototype vehicles from GSA a few years ago. It is a M36E3. I offered it up here once or twice to the group if someone wanted to own it. My current plans are to bob it. I sold the bed and the rear axle. I have yet to cut the frame.
the basics on the truck are as follows:
3116 cat 170 hp,
ZF 5 speed transmission
air assist steering
dual circuit brakes
air dryer
electric wipers
and the seat belts with the shoulder harness.

I have gotten a 900 series tractor spare tire and tool box for behind the cab
and a m105a3 bed for it.
I am going to add a winch setup like mud guppy has on his truck
I have a few different tire choices (14.5, or 395)
I also have a front suspension from an m35 or trailer springs from a m200a1

all that being said I don't want to hear "don't do it".
that time has past.
Can you post some pic's?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There were also a few M35A2s that had Cummins 6BTs put in at the factory, I was told for export to countries that requested that mod. More info on these trucks is elsewhere on this site....

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
There were also a few M35A2s that had Cummins 6BTs put in at the factory, I was told for export to countries that requested that mod. More info on these trucks is elsewhere on this site....
HendrsonJ brought all those conversion kits at the going out of business auction, he has since sold then

PROSTOCKTOM

I'm sure glad I started this thread it's turning out to be a great wealth of information.

Doubt I'll every be lucky enough to find one of those trucks, but at least I know what

to look for now.

Thanks

Tom

Mt_Man

Are the motor mounts located in the same places for multifuels and cat 3116? Would make since cause the swapped it in for the a3's. Haven't had a chance to see them side by side.
cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks