• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are these normal glow plug issues?

Knightmare

I found a video on youtube, where these guys are trying to start their m1009, and you can hear these clicks as the glow plug relay cycles on.

Mine worked perfectly fine for 3 days, I heard no sounds like this, now it has problems starting.

I'm just wondering if mine is different, or theirs...

I think it's because they have an aftermarket relay, but I'm just checking.

Plus, I've heard the stock unit will fry, and break off into the engine.

What's normal?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh0Z7Pok9DQ[/media]

itsunday25

the plugs dont fry and brake off the just swel up at the tips and when you go to chang them you have to pull the injeter out and brake the tip off and fish it out with a magnet.

K9Vic

Why did they feel it was worth the time to unplug all the glow plugs when all you would have to do is disconnect the two orange wires on the relay? Guess they do not know much about these engines if they took the time to do all that. Heck, you could even remove the main power on the top of the relay. Then they would not have fried their single wire for a glow plug.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glow plugs are just one piece of the puzzle. There are many other parts that affect the system. By just throwing in a set of plugs without testing the system is like throwing money out the window.

The Technical manuals cover how to test each component of the system.

The manuals are free here on the site. The CUCV Wiki pages has links.

Knightmare

Well if the tips just brake off when you have them on for too long, I was going to replace them to be on the safe side. But if that's not the case, I'm going to leave them alone.

What about the clicks and jump in voltage? I haven't noticed that in my m1009, but like I said, I haven't had that much road time with it.

Knightmare

Can someone please answer my question? I know it's buried in the manuals somewhere probably, but I don't have time at the moment to comb over them for the info.

Knightmare

Nevermind
Cute, real cute.

But yes, I don't have the time right this second to spend hours pouring over these manuals. I'm still in the middle of my 50 hour work week, and when I get home, it will be midnight or 1 AM, and I have neighbors, so I can't be out cranking my truck, and joyriding in it.

I refuse to believe you guys are this unfriendly to newcomers.

So... *ahem* Is the clicking, and the voltage jumps seen in the video normal?

:deadhorse:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
YES. It can be considered normal.

But you have not actually described any true problem other than it doesn't start and now it 'clicks' and the voltage drops.

The voltage drops are the glow plugs being turned on and off. And that click sounds just like the one in both my M1009 and my M1028a2.

It seems is that most starting problems are generally one of two issues (don't get me wrong, there can be lots of OTHER issues, but these two seem to be the biggest).

No fuel delivery

Engine too cold (broken glow plug system)

Also, you don't state whether your electrical system is stock (IE 24 volt starter) or has been 'modified'.

The one in the vid appeared to be stock.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

watkinssr

Cute, real cute.

But yes, I don't have the time right this second to spend hours pouring over these manuals. I'm still in the middle of my 50 hour work week, and when I get home, it will be midnight or 1 AM, and I have neighbors, so I can't be out cranking my truck, and joyriding in it.

I refuse to believe you guys are this unfriendly to newcomers.

So... *ahem* Is the clicking, and the voltage jumps seen in the video normal?

:deadhorse:
The people around here are very friendly to newcomers, but you came off a bit rude.

Knightmare

YES. It can be considered normal.

But you have not actually described any true problem other than it doesn't start and now it 'clicks' and the voltage drops.

The voltage drops are the glow plugs being turned on and off. And that click sounds just like the one in both my M1009 and my M1028a2.

It seems is that most starting problems are generally one of two issues (don't get me wrong, there can be lots of OTHER issues, but these two seem to be the biggest).

No fuel delivery

Engine too cold (broken glow plug system)

Also, you don't state whether your electrical system is stock (IE 24 volt starter) or has been 'modified'.

The one in the vid appeared to be stock.

Hope that helps.
Thanks a lot for the reply.

But mine DOESN'T click, and I haven't seen any voltage drops. Again, that's what I noticed on my 3 days of driving, before the issues. It's kinda been sitting in my driveway, getting dirty looks every time I pass it. *Don't shoot me yet, keep reading.;-)*

I just bought the thing, and it ran great, until 3 days later. I thought I made a bad investment, but after a few days of consideration, I've come to like my m1009 again. I got a good deal, she just needs a little tlc.

I got stuck in a walmart parking lot with it, and with the help of a random stranger, I got it started again by leaving the glow plugs on for a looong time.

So that's why I was concerned about them, especially if I have to leave them on for a good 90 seconds or so. I didn't want them to overheat, and break off in my engine.

Actually, I was leaning towards a fuel delivery problem. The idle is pretty rough, and while holding my foot steady, the truck would surge forward like I floored it.

First thing tomorrow, I'm going out to see if it clicks or not.

And it's a stock system.

Thanks a billion!!! May your deity of choice bless you with a thousand virgins upon your unfortunate passing!!!:D:D

The people around here are very friendly to newcomers, but you came off a bit rude.
Yes I realize that post you quoted came out a little rough, that was intentional.

The other posts I made, I don't think there was any venom in them though. I was getting frustrated that it took 3 days before a saint like wallew to come across, and answer me directly.

Which leads me to my biggest point;

I DIDN'T SEE THE FAQ, AND NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY EVERYONE IS POINTING ME THAT WAY!!! I'M SORRY!!!

I saw the FAQ thread, and I was thinking, "I'll be ****ed if I'm going to read all that, just for my minor question."

My sincerest apologies to all whom I may offended, especially to mistaken1, I didn't come here to start an e-fight, bicker, etc. I just thought my question was being unjustly ignored. Now, I understand.

My bad guys, seriously. Sometimes I can't see the forest, for the trees!!

I'll be a good new guy, from now on, scouts honor!!:D:D

mistaken1

My sincerest apologies to all whom I may offended, especially to mistaken1, I didn't come here to start an e-fight, bicker, etc. I just thought my question was being unjustly ignored. Now, I understand.

My bad guys, seriously. Sometimes I can't see the forest, for the trees!!

I'll be a good new guy, from now on, scouts honor!!:D:D

My comment was not appropriate which was why I dropped it but not before the damage was done. Please accept my apologies.

I do understand what it is like to work all the time. :)

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe I can help with this particular problem, as I had one very similar to this.

First off, do your valve covers leak at all? And I mean AT ALL?

Because one of the things I found was that I was CONSISTENTLY having to cycle my glow plugs three or four times before the engine would heat up.

Now, most folks would have just replaced all the glow plugs. But I'm a cheap so and so.

The reason I ask about leaky valve cover gaskets is because once I removed the wire from EACH glow plug and wiped the glow plug clean AND the electrical connector clean (I USED QTIPS) then hooked everything back up and BINGO she starts right up now. And I saved the what, $60 for a new set of glow plugs?

Secondly, if you are having issues with fuel delivery, strangely enough your fuel filter BLOCK may be the culprit. MINE WAS. It leaked air.

Over time, apparently that's a minor fault in these trucks. But $70 to a vendor on ebay got me the CORRECT backing plate, with bracket AND new fuel filter. Once that was installed almost ALL of my fuel issues went away.

ALSO, as a side note, my M1009 has an electric fuel pump (6 psi) inline to the fuel system. It's attached under the passenger side rail, just about AT the passenger door area.

The one thing this allows you is you turn the key on, loosen the fuel spigot and let all the air bleed out of the system.

It took me a little more than an hour to pull the old fuel filter bracket/plate/filter off and put the new one on AND bleed the system.

Man does it run so much better now.

Hope those two things helps.

OH, and WELCOME to the 'green iron disease'...

Last edited: