• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are these the right glowplugs

Sgt Hulka

For an intact, unconverted, original 24v CUCV, yes, those are correct. You're good. A few sources on ebay. They all seem to be about the same price. Yes, they are in fact rated at 12 volts as in theory, the big resistors on the back of the firewall reduce the 24v to power the gp's. In reality, they apparently don't reduce the voltage completely to 12. More 24v CUCV vagueness... I found that out the hard way when I converted mine to 12v after buying a new set of 070s and nothing worked. 070s though rated at 12v and appropriate for a 24v CUCV, won't work in a pure 12v system. Thanks to Doghead for that tip...

ida34

First of all, check the plugs before you go to the trouble of getting new ones. The quick and dirty method is to disconnect the glow plugs. Then take the clip end of a test light and attach it to the pos of the front battery or the neg of the rear battery. Then touch the terminal of the glow plugs with the probe. If the test light lights then the plug should be good. Another method is to measure the resistance of the plugs between the terminal and ground. Most of the time a bad plug is shorted internally and will not make a connection for the test light.

To answer your question directly, Wellman 070s are the right plugs. They are for the 24 volt system even though they are 12 volt plugs. The wording on the web site is misleading. They will have the correct terminal for the cucv and are the correct voltage.

You might also check the electrical trouble shooting area of the -20 as it has a step by step method to check the entire glow plug system. It only take a few minutes with a multimeter.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
070s though rated at 12v and appropriate for a 24v CUCV, won't work in a pure 12v system. Thanks to Doghead for that tip...
Not quite what I said.... The stock cucv 070 glow plugs will work with a 12 volt converted system.

Chief

M1009 and M1008 Glow Plugs

They are right, they are 12 volt glow plugs. The problem with the system is that it was designed to work in extreme cold conditions but due to the way thses are wired if you have 2 bad ones it will cause a rise in current to the remaining 6 and burn them out sooner. I own 2 M1009's and a M1008A1 and may son has 2 M1008A1's and a M1009. We have removed the resistor and run the glow plugs from the 12 volt feed on the firewall. They work fine and only take 2-3 seconds longer to heat. "How to". Remove the lead on the right side of the resistor that runs to the solenoid and connect it to the black (ethier side) terminal block located on the fire wall. Nothing else need be done. Since converting ours over we have had to replace a single glow plug.

steve87

steve87

I just installed the 60Gs this morning, man was it cold out. I had to cut the wires and put on a new ends to fit the wider spades on the new plugs but the truck started up fine. It has only been one day and working fine. Just glad to get it running with all this snow here in Utah.

CUCV85

Not quite what I said.... The stock cucv 070 glow plugs will work with a 12 volt converted system.
:arrow:I was going to say WHAT, Ever since I bypassed the resistors to the 12v diamond shaped terminal block right next to the gp relay My trucks starts fine.
The wellman 070's are the ones to use bypassed or not. Changing the green wire female spade ends from 3/16" to 1/4" allows you to continue to use the wellmans or use another glow plug of your choice as Doghead has stated.
Use the weather proof 1/4" female spade type and heat shrink them after installing - new ends and sealed - :idea:thanks eric for the tips :grin:
one plug type that is said to be better than wellman 070 -
after doing resistors bypass is the wellman 050
thanks mike for the tips

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks