• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are they really worth it?

Sevo

I really have a HMMWV bug and I have had one for a while. The problem is the price tag. I know they fetch what the market commands. I am having hard time convincing myself they are worth that much money. For the price of one HMMWV I could buy a couple of other MV vehicles

For those of you who own one, is it worth the investment? I am trying to decide to do it or not. YOur feed back will help greatly

usmc81301

I would definitely say it is worth the cost. I have been nothing but pleased with mine. I have no problems with it but I also maintain it well which is key.

Jetnoise400

Well, let me put it another way for you:

Back in 1986 when I first saw a HMMWV, I had to have one. Unfortunately back then, they weren't going to be available to civilians for quite a while yet, and I was just a poor boy with a part time job going to school anyhow, so it didn't matter.

But the seed was still planted.

Fast forward about 16 years or so, and I still wanted one, and they were out there. But I decided to get a WWII MV to restore instead. And after a few months, I still wanted a HMMWV. So I bought an M35A2, thinking that was cheaper. And after a few months of distraction, I still wanted a HMMWV... and maybe even a little more than before. So then I bought an M151A2, thinking that was also cheaper, and the little brother of the HMMWV. I sold the M35, and still wanted a HMMWV. THEN, I bought an M1009, it was decidedly more practical than a HMMWV, cheaper than a HMMWV, and seemed like a good idea. And after 6 months or so, I sold the M1009, and found a basket case HMMWV and bought it. I still have the WWII truck, and the M151A2 also.

So the moral of the story is; If you want a HMMWV, but think you can do better by buying some different and cheaper MVs instead, you may discover that you own several different vehicles, spend the $$$ to get them in good condition, and when it's all said and done, for what you spend on all those "instead of" vehicles you could have bought yourself a clean HMMWV to begin with.

Just my experience anyway.

Only you can decide for yourself what's best. And remember, this is all supposed to be fun no matter what you choose. :-D

Stalwart

Although I have a civi one, it is old and very near to the HMMWV, except for that mine has CTIS, heavier suspension (like the heavy HMMWV) and the upgraded hubs. Once you master brake-throttle modulation (and carry a chainsaw) they are nearly unstoppable off road.

I went wheelin with some VERY modified Jeeps and even though they went between trees that were too narrow for me, I was able to go around the standing trees and over downed logs that blocked my path. I did have 3/16" steel rocker panel protection on mine to protect the aluminum body from the logs.

When one of the jeeps lost 1st gear I ended up pulling him up a 4-500' hill that he could BARELY do under his own power with 1st gear working.

They are probably the fastest of the ex-Military vehicles (except the CUCV) and no louder than most either. They are relatively easy to work on and easy to service. I like 'em but it depends on what you want to do with it.

dozer1

I currently do not have the "HMMWV bug" so I should know better then to read threads like this for fear of catching it. That kind of thing seems to happen to easily with me. Best of luck on the decision Sevo.

papaydsailor

its worth it, im happy with my humvee than the cheaper cucv. i get a thumbs up all the time from other cars on the road and off
road. like a kit car easy to work on and modify looks. now im trying to save money to change it to a faster engine, 6.2 causes traffic behind when the raod starts getting uphill. my most costly and time consuming toy and hobby that i ever have and im loving it :smile:

papakb

Rolex vs Casio?

Asking if a HMMWV is really worth it is like asking if a Rolex is better than a Casio? Or if a Ferrari is better than a Yugo? Mostly what it boils down to is can you afford it? And how badly did the bug get you?

Like most MVs, the HMMWV is basic transportation. You can dress it up with all kinds of cool stuff but it's still a truck at heart.

So what it comes down to is do you want to commit the $ to buy one? They're not fast, they aren't really put together all that well, and they do tend to consume large amounts of your hard earned dollars. But then again, people have been buying boats forever and they fall into the same category.

I absolutely love mine even with all it's limitations. And one other cool thing, when your riding down the road and a carload of kids go by even if there is a Ferrari next to you they look at the HMMWV. What better confirmation could you get than that that the HMMWV is king of the road? :beer:

Kurt

BLK HMMWV

Love mine but like many have said they require attention .They do get allot of attention when on the road as well.
There not fast. there not quiet, there not water proof and there not going to get any cheaper.

I'd say go for it scratch the itch. If you find once you have owned one it's not for you you can always sell it and most likley recover most of what you paid for it.
Make sure you do your homework once you find one and check it out for a clean title , check the frame rails for rust, check for the Vampire problem in the trans cooling loop.

BH

davidkroberts

I have never owned one but i used a bunch of them in the Marines and as a security contractor in Iraq. They are decent offroad, parts are available, and its one of the few vehicles that can haul 4 people somewhat comfortably. If you want one then get one. They arent releasing anymore to the public so they arent going to get any cheaper. So if you buy one and it isnt what you were expecting then sell it and get something else. You will lose hardly any money if anything. I dont see how you have anything to lose.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have owned many historic MVs over the years from a tank to a hand cart. The HMMWV was the only one I missed after selling it. SO I bought another one! It is some what praticle, has decent road speed, easy to work on and a real crowd pleaser.

Hey papaydsailor is your avatar the begginnings of The BERSERKER built my Shawn at angryiron.com? That turned out to be one nice truck.

PorscheTech911

I currently do not have the "HMMWV bug" so I should know better then to read threads like this for fear of catching it. That kind of thing seems to happen to easily with me. Best of luck on the decision Sevo.
Thats exactly what just happened to me. I knew I shouldn't have read this thread... :D

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
their around but getting hard to find. there have only been around 700 or so complete HMMWVS sold out of the military. Many of those were shipped out of the country. So i would estimate maybe 500 legal whole trucks in the US. Some have been built from parts but those may or may not be difficult to get registered. Not sure about that.

If you want to buy one check out humvee.net, ebay, and troll the internet. I know where 5 are for sale right now. 3 fixers and one that is a little better and one that needs nothing. They range in price from 15k to 32k.

Last edited:
After 20 years in the Army, my first encounter with a HMMWV; when I was a private and was chosen out of my platoon because I was to say “their best mechanic” to go down to DOL and sign for a brand new M998 with no MWOs, this is in 1986, a few years later I would also sign for a Kevlar, that’s how new these M998 were. I had my experience driving M151 and M1009 but to drive a brand new HMMWV with only 6 miles on it and know what you can drive over :driver:. I fell in love with this vehicle. I have driven them in the mud in Germany, Mountains in Korea, white pounder dirt of Texas, clay mud in Tennessee and that **** sand in Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and Iraq. I have seen and driven this 8th wonder of the world. To see it grow from a simple M998 with no MWO to a full fledge M1152. Put some blood, sweet and tears into it, used it as a bed, house, firing point, briefing room and kitchen. That’s why son, I or we own HMMWVs2cents

emr

Like all MV,s U can buy alot more of the ones that are not as desierable, this is as old as people on this planet... Yes they are worth every cent because people are paying it, the market will decide, it sounds to me since U are asking to look for a couple of vehicles that may fill the stable at a better price thats what I did, i had a MUMVEE for a month a friend was trying to sell me, I found it was not for me, 3 years later i am kicking myself bad for not taking it, oh well the world is full of these storys since the beginning also, good luck,

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never owned one but i used a bunch of them in the Marines and as a security contractor in Iraq. They are decent offroad, parts are available, and its one of the few vehicles that can haul 4 people somewhat comfortably. If you want one then get one. They arent releasing anymore to the public so they arent going to get any cheaper. So if you buy one and it isnt what you were expecting then sell it and get something else. You will lose hardly any money if anything. I dont see how you have anything to lose.
I wouldn't call a stock HMMWV a comfortable ride by any stretch of the imagination, especially if you're tall like me. Evidently, the designers have never heard of ergonomics, and are all about 5' 2" tall. But they will go about anywhere with a halfway decent driver. I think they'll definitely hold their value, because there's really nothing to replace them at this time as far as state side usage. If you end up not liking it, it shouldn't be too difficult to offload, and you won't have to wonder "What if".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks