• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are you mad that the gov is selling HMMWVs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwoStates

Those of you that have HMMWVs from the USMC auction years ago, are you mad that the gov is selling HMMWVs again and causing the value of your vehicle to drop? Is this one of the reasons the board is so anti-registration? Just wondering.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The value of the GP trucks is comparable to 99 auction trucks...a lot of that due to the fact they are titled.
here in my neck of the woods, I'm seeing HMMWV's selling for 11-14k, with tax and final valuation fees, that truck is approaching the price of what I was paying for 99 auction trucks....15-20k. Titled, and in most cases, better condition.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not mad, but somewhat disappointed. I used to think my restored M1037 was worth $25,000, who is going to pay that when you can get a fixer-upper for $5K? The anti-registration thing is clearly about liability, no site owner wants discussions about circumventing laws.

TwoStates

I'm not mad, but somewhat disappointed. I used to think my restored M1037 was worth $25,000, who is going to pay that when you can get a fixer-upper for $5K? The anti-registration thing is clearly about liability, no site owner wants discussions about circumventing laws.
Are you a lawyer? If so, please point me to the federal law that one would be in violation of if they were to decide register their HMMWV (This thread is not about registration, I am just asking for you to clarify your point).

mcmullag

Registration varies by state and I believe the govplanet site states something about vehicle is issued with off road title or off road use only.
An analogy may be that a site would bar discussions about how to avoid taxes or where it is a good place to speed without getting caught......

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you a lawyer? If so, please point me to the federal law that one would be in violation of if they were to decide register their HMMWV (This thread is not about registration, I am just asking for you to clarify your point).
I'm not a lawyer, but I play one on TV. You are derailing your own thread, but here goes: NHTSA requires on-road vehicles to meet standards or they are illegal to use on road (think Nissan Skyline). Since HMMWVs were never approved by NHTSA for on-road use, DLA created the non-on road use policy and directed the CV contractor (Govplanet) to abide by it.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those of you that have HMMWVs from the USMC auction years ago, are you mad that the gov is selling HMMWVs again and causing the value of your vehicle to drop? Is this one of the reasons the board is so anti-registration? Just wondering.
The site owner, the person who provides the expense of having this board and therefore ALLOWS you to be here, does not want discussions about circumventing the DLA decision to sell HMMWVs as Off Road Only. There is no anti-registration bent to anything other than a simple site rule. Same as no posting current or upcoming auctions, threads about insurance, etc. Abide by the rules or start your own web site.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

This thread covers why on-road registration threads are not allowed on this site. Don't like it? You are free to leave the site and start your own.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?138670-HMMWV-Titling

And just to clarify, this site is not about anti-registration. Many members are getting the SF-97 and titling their vehicles for off-road use (just as the DLA approved it). And many states require ALL off-road vehicles to be registered.

You want to talk about getting a title for off-road use? Then post away.

Last edited:

darr3239

HTML:
So the 1999s were sold with no restrictions (i.e. off-road), and then were titled and registered legally in what ever state.

If the above statement is true, then wouldn't their value be somewhat more for resale purposes?

TwoStates

This thread covers why on-road registration threads are not allowed on this site. Don't like it? You are free to leave the site and start your own.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?138670-HMMWV-Titling

And just to clarify, this site is not about anti-registration. Many members are getting the SF-97 and titling their vehicles for off-road use (just as the DLA approved it). And many states require ALL off-road vehicles to be registered.

You want to talk about getting a title for off-road use? Then post away.
Now that we have that out of the way, back to the original question. Who is mad their HMMWV value is going down with a greater supply in circulation?

Last edited by a moderator:

jasonjc

How is this HMMWV thing any different than the ones who bought the first M939's or hemmits , now that they coming out in big numbers.

You pay to be first.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How is this HMMWV thing any different than the ones who bought the first M939's or hemmits , now that they coming out in big numbers.

You pay to be first.
Yep. I certainly couldn't afford a M1078 when they first came out. I still can't afford a running A1 but the likelihood that they'll come down in price as more are released is almost a sure bet. Having driven thousands of miles in HMMWVs I can't see the appeal any way. The fact that some can be driven on the highway doesn't increase the value to me but I guess somebody that wants one would pay more not to have to haul it everywhere.

mcmullag

"How is this HMMWV thing any different than the ones who bought the first M939's or hemmits , now that they coming out in big numbers.

You pay to be first."

Yuppers. That's what I was thinking too.
Here I go with another analogy: House and rent prices are up here and houses sell really fast here in CO Springs and Denver. Folks are moving here from around the USA due to the marijuana law. A feller could speculate and buy houses as investments but.....what if the feds decided to make marijuana legal nationally, then this state would not be unique and housing prices would prolly fall from what they are right now.
The only thing constant is change.
Keep on truck'n on.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I have not purchased any of the HMMWVs that have come out on GP, I have been told that the titles are marked FOR OFF-ROAD USE ONLY. That would seem to me to be an issue. If you are able to circumvent the rules to get a on-road title, AND YOU GET INTO A WRECK, there could be someone looking into why you have a truck tagged for on-road use that was specified as FOR OFF-ROAD USE ONLY. So, would I be upset that the values have dropped? Probably, if I had a HMMWV right now that had a clear title that permitted on-road usage. I don't, so I don't care...and I could careless if one titles their truck on-road with the titles that GP is giving them. Just saying that it gets risky if you worry about such things.

dilvoy

Now that we have that out of the way, back to the original question. Who is mad their HMMWV value is going down with a greater supply in circulation?
Probably no one who is still looking at Humvee sites. The ones who bought a Humvee for the prestige of having something of limited availability have most likely already sold theirs. I remember a couple of people crying about that very thing. Boo Hoo Hoo.
Good riddance to them as they were probably snobs anyway. A couple of my Humvees are worth much less now, but I haven't lost any sleep over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks