• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Arkansas and Iowa recovery info needed

Garlstedt

Well, got a little over-excited as a new bidder on GL bidding and ended up with an M35A2 at Camp Dodge, Johnston, Iowa, and another one at Jacksonville (Little Rock) Arkansas from the same auction. Now I just have to get them back to western Colorado. Any info on the sites or anybody who can give the trucks a lookover would be greatly appreciated. The Arkansas truck is 3962/7917. Has dead batteries and a flat tire, would help if I knew which one and how bad it looks. Vehicle has a spare on board. The Iowa truck is 3962/7508, only had two exterior pictures, but looks to be in good shape, drove onto lot. The logistics of all this looks a little daunting. This will be my 2d and 3d M35A2s and hopefully not my next divorce! Thanks for any help/info!

Garlstedt

Ross,
Thanks. You never know what may happen, but it's usually when you least expect it. We had the compressor go out, shredding the belt in the process, while approaching Wichita when my brother and I brought my first deuce back from Oklahoma. He's the more mechanically minded one, I'd probably still be sitting by the highway! My brother is great at figuring things out. Hope to have him along on these recoveries if we can swing it. But I learn a little more each time, and it's a lot of fun in the process. Can you email me a phone number or some other way to get in contact if something does happen?
Vince

davidkroberts

you might want to try shipping one of them at least. Jacksonville is a Air Force base and they usually have a bit better condition trucks when they come up for auction. I usually use www.uship.com when im shipping strange MV related things. wish i could help more but im far away. I could give your wife my wifes number so she can have someone who will agree with what an idiot you are. Mine hates this hobby. I think she would rather me be on drugs.

zb39

I tell my wife of 19 years, this is my hobby, do you want me to chase women like all the other guys do?? She always says go right ahead, so i do:-D

davidkroberts

i would prefer to keep my wife off my site....LOL

since ive gotten married ive lost all my cool furniture, clothes, friday nights, and forays with women of questionable character..... This is all I have left:-D

Garlstedt

Yes, it is. It will be interesting to see how that handles on the road. I've heard it called the Abu Ghraib Express. Assuming I get it home the box may come off, if it doesn't fall off somewhere in between.
Vince

combat32

Hey Garlstedt, were you stationed in Garlstedt? I was there from 88 til 91, HHC 2/66 Armor(Iron Knights) I( was in the scout platoon.I am in Arkansas as was looking at the truck you won pretty hard, but have too much other crap on the front burner right now.

Garlstedt

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll be driving the Arkansas truck home at least. Has anyone ever shipped a deuce? I recognize the cost would vary based on mileage, etc, but what type of expense is it? When you factor in the cost in flying there, then several days driving it back, does the cost of shipping it start to come close? The Iowa truck would have to travel about a thousand miles. I do get a kick out of driving them, at least when they're not breaking down in the middle of nowhere (or is that the fun part?)

Garlstedt

Yes, I was in Garlstedt with HHC, 2d AD(FWD) from 87-90. Our first child was born in Bremerhaven. We went back to show my son where he was born 2 years ago. No Americans there at all now, couldn't even get on the kaserne. I wish I had one of those motor pool buildings to store these trucks in!
Vince

combat32

Guess we chewed some of the same dirt:-D I still talk to some of my German friends in the area, it is a shame about the Kaserne basically being abandonded.How about that new 2 million dollar commissary they built right before they shut down the post, never even had a loaf of bread on the shelf, typical waste of our tax dollars.I drove a really nice deuce there for a while, we borrowed it from our medic platoon so we would have wheels at Graf and when we went to Bergen Hone, I drove it from Garelstedt to Graf and back, the speedo would wind out all the way to P, fastest deuce I ever drove.Fun times on the autobahn!

Highwayman87

Congrats on the deuce purchase, I also won a deuce there in Iowa as well. Mine was the "does not run" truck. I hope I can get it started and drive it home, it's only 120 miles to my acreage where I'll park it in Nebraska. To ship a deuce is costly. I had one shipped from Missouri to Nebraska last fall on a lowboy detachable trailer and it set me back $1,500. I think it was too high but i really needed to get it to the house because it had been sitting in Missouri a month and the guy wanted it gone soon. I was going to drive it home but he advised not to because it needed some injector pump work. That truck is my summer project. :-D If you want when I go pick up mine I could check yours out and see if it's road worthy. You can PM me if you want to talk further.

Last edited:

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Arkansas Deuce

Vince:
I had a look at he truck you won, I got three M105's in that auction. I wanted one. That truck doesn't have a box, it is some kind of thin skin over fencing with a standard cover on it. If you have any questions about the truck call the GL guy there he is great.
James