• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Arlington WA 2011 Airshow

jhigh

North Pacific Military Corps
NOW HEAR THIS​
Now is not too early to start thinking about Camp Adams at the 2011 Arlington Fly-In. Already, several meetings have been held between key Camp Adams core team members as well as with the Arlington management. We anticipate measurable growth of the military history area next year.
All past participants who have thoughts or ideas about how to make this event better are invited to attend a brainstorming meeting October 9. Contact Bill High if you wish to attend. You may also send your thoughts to Bill so they can be included in the meeting discussions.

It is great to acknowledge that our present camp layout is rather crowded. In 2010 we added Highway One to feature Vietnam era material. Fire Base Buffalo was authentic under Ron Kachergas. leadership along with the Game Wardens and their PBR’s. To expand further, we will add another road to accommodate vehicles and displays. Named the ALCAN HIGHWAY, it will provide ample space specifically for the growing Canadian participation.
The Camp Adams team conducted a visitor survey several years ago to learn how well we were received by the public. We scored 4 out of 5. We have asked the Fly-In team to conduct a similar visitor survey in 2011 because we want to know if our growing part of the Fly-In is as good as we think it is. It can only be as good as we think we are by continuing to upgrade the size and quality of our presence.

The tank demonstrations and flack 88 firing were tremendous attractions and drew several hundred visitors to those activities. What else can we do to interact with the public? Well, we are considering giving jeep rides, have knowledgeable vehicle owners conduct small group tours of the Camp and set up a photo opportunity area with vehicles and weapons. What do you think will make the public feel more a part of the camp during their visit.?

Our 2010 results were 146 pieces of rolling stock, 5 major and numerous smaller displays and 22 warbird aircraft including both a Mitchell B-25 and a P-51 Mustang from the Historic Flight Foundation at Paine Field.
Most of our vehicle operators have military type tenting for camping. Sometimes it is difficult for the public to know whether the private camping area is open for their visit. To eliminate the public entering private tenting, please begin communicating now to your participants that they should affix easily seen signs where tents are PRIVATE QUARTERS.

Personalized laminated military styled vehicle data signs are available for $5.00 USD. Contact Mark Gresham at psi@psicylinders.com for more information. In addition to this type of signage for each vehicle on display, we encourage vehicle owners to provide more information about your vehicle.

Do you know other military history organizations that would be interested in receiving our NOW HEAR THIS report? If so, have them provide me a contact person and email address.
Bill High, Coordinator NPMC

jhigh

North Pacific Military Corps​
December 29 2010​
NOW HEAR THIS​
To All Recipients:
We wish you a prosperous NEW YEAR with more green stuff coming your way (unless of course your spouse refuses to clutter up the homestead any greater. We are truly looking forward to 2011 as we believe our goals will be well served through participation of green gear throughout the region.
Fortunately, those who receive this report have similar goals whether an individual or a club. We strive to share military history with the public as well as restore and preserve military material.
Planning meetings are on-going for the 2011 Arlington Fly-In. Some upgrades are confirmed while others are in the "what will it take to make it work" stage. Our theme for 2011 is THE ARLINGTON INVASION.
We have confirmed that the regional airsoft community has joined Camp Adams for 2011. That group will set up and operate a shooting range within our third GP medium tent using their various weapons. This activity will be open to the public and greatly contributes to our desire for more action activities within the Camp during public hours.
Both warbird pilots and air show performers have requested greater freedom to expand their demonstrations. That is complex because to do certain aerobatics, the safety zone (free of people) must be expanded. Arlington is presently working with the FAA to accomplish that. The show now is in what is called a box 3 and we are seeking a box 2.
A box 2 configuration would encompass a small part of the south end of Camp Adams. That space has only been used to park our trailers (which we can still do) and to muster for the parades. A much superior area is planned for those musters. The biggest benefit a box 2 will give us is putting the air show and the warbird passes almost overhead. That means we get the best seats on the airfield for viewing. And, a lot of public will come to our area for viewing as well.
Crash Williams is communicating with Warbird owners throughout the west to encourage their participation this coming year. We expect more historic aircraft than in 2010.
Arlington management is hosting regular meetings of the "Future of Arlington Fly-In Committee". Your ideas for show growth and innovation may be emailed to me and I will share your ideas at up-coming meetings.
Bill High, Coordinator, North Pacific Military Corps

Stalwart

My girls are SOOOOOO excited about going again, they had the best time. This event is getting better and better under the AWESOME guidance and leadership of the Highs and others running this show. We are planning on spending an entire week there and start moving in equipment as early as possible. You can also count on the 4 of us to help with ANY setup and takedown of displays. We wouldn't miss this show for anything less than death in the family, it's that special to us now.

Jinx

I will be there again, barring any unforeseen circumstances. Got a beautiful M105A2 trailer to go with my deuce this year as well. Hopefully I can get time off to be in the parade as well.

Mark

srodocker

my grandma called and asked if they can celebrate my grandpas 70th bday at arlington this year. i said of course. they will be there friday and saturday night with there smaller motorhome. is there going to be bomber plane rides he loves planes. stuart u met my grandfather at support the troop event at cabelas this year. he talked to you in depth about the fox i think

jhigh

Just a quick update:
It was great to meet many of you at the PNW mini rally last weekend, We look forward to seeing all of you at the
Airshow this year.

The B25 is expected to be on site but we do not expect it to give rides this year:(. Instead we will have to settle for a
B17 (Sentimental Journey):) and they will be flying rides.

We have also been talking with NORDPAC a non-profit group of RC tank enthusiasts in the Pacific Northwest. They plan
to set up a battle site and do demos. If you have an RC tank bring it and have fun.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks