• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Arlington, WA, Fly-in 2013

jhigh

Planning for the 2013 event is already underway. We are looking forward to seeing everyone return and bring your friends. We will be conducting the 2nd annual Military lawn dart event and the US will be defending their title from the Canadian's. Posted is the first of many update report.

North Pacific Military Corps
October 27, 2012

NOW HEAR THIS

While this is a belated 2012 Camp Adams and Arlington Fly-In debrief report, we now have information from the Fly-In Board of Directors to report. As everyone who was present knows, the Friday rain, thunder and lightning contributed to a 31% drop in attendance. Camp Adams was however well attended by visitors suggesting that more of those who came to the Fly-In visited Camp. That lightning strike Friday took out the Fly-In computer structure, including the server, four internet extenders, three computers, telephone and lines.

Camp Adams had 97 vehicles and numerous displays. The new area was well received and put us in closer contact with the public. The minor confusion of how our vehicles were to approach the camp so as to not conflict with spinning propellers will be corrected next year. Fortunately, there were no close calls between props and trucks. The Camp attracted 14 warbird aircraft including a B-17 and B-25. Overall aircraft attendance was up slightly from last year to about 600. Light flight returned with both aircraft and venders. There were 114 actual flights which encouraged sales. Camp Adams campers were very pleased to be completely away from those flights.

The Fly-In Board of Directors report the event will continue to evolve to best meet the visiting community. Some revision to the floor plan is likely to best serve visitors, venders and the volunteers who make the entire show function. No changes to Camp Adams are considered. Some changes may relate to new things happening at the airport.

Construction is underway for a new access road along the west side of the airport. While it may not be completed for 2013, it will, when finished, provide much improved access for the public. Also, construction will soon begin on a new historic aircraft museum on the west side of the field.

In 2013, Camp Adams will be little different from this year. Thursday (July 12), Friday and Saturday are the official show days with Wednesday and Sunday being setup/teardown days for venders, etc. Camp Adams will again be open for set up on the Sunday preceding. Early arrivals may take training in putting up GP medium tents and other pre-camp chores. There might even be cool refreshments for work crews.

We are looking forward to having you and all those who promote military history preservation to be at Camp Adams in 2013. Should you have questions or concerns, please contact me at
psicylinders@msn.com.

Bill High, Coordinator

jhigh

December 25, 2012
NOW HEAR THIS
Merry Christmas to all!

It’s never to early to think about military history activityfor 2013. Camp Adams is on schedule. Camp personnel metwith the Arlington Fly-In managers on December 15 to share plans for the comingyear. There are no major plans for change this coming year. However, themanagement is looking for participants to share ideas on how the show shouldproceed in 2014 and beyond. We will have floor plan maps on hand at Camp Adamsso all attendees can see what ideas are being put forth. Please don’t hesitateto share your ideas.

The international military vehicle organization (MVPA) willhold its national convention near Portland, Oregon two weeks or so following the Fly-In. Vehicleowners planning on attending both events can very likely leave their vehiclewith one of our members in the region near Arlingtonand then pick it up for the travel to Oregon.Give us advance warning if you want to leave a vehicle in storage for pickup onyour way to Portland. Hopefully this will benefit our WesternCommand comrades.

Camp Deputy Commandeer saw a well restored Shermantank being offloaded at the Tacoma, Washington shipping terminalseveral weeks ago. Very likely that big, heavy piece of history will appear forthe first time at the Flying Heritage Collection Tank Fest on May 31 at PaineFiend, Washington.

jhigh

January 20, 2013
NOW HEAR THIS

Camp Adams personnel met with the Flying HeritageCollection (FHC) team to plan participation at the ArlingtonFly-in and Camp Adams July 10-14. We also inspected the newly arrived Sherman tank that joinsthe Collection’s growing armor. That tank is meticulously restored. Since the Sherman will be on exclusive display at the newlyconstructed addition to the FHC on Paine Field, Everett, we will again have the German Hetzertank destroyer in camp along with the German 88. Both will provide firingdemonstrations. No decision has been made as to which FHC combat aircraft willbe featured but we have requested the P-47 Thunderbolt.

The Historic Flight Foundation, also located at Paine Field,has initially slated its newly restored Pan American DC3 for display near ourcamp. We will also request thebeautifully restored ArmyL4 observation plane for in-camp display.

NPMC military vehicle owners have again been invited toparticipate at the FHC Memorial Day Tank Fest at its Paine Field museum. The Sherman will have itsdébut
Because of the new building addition to house the tanks,space for military vehicle display and participation may be slightly compressed.We therefore ask those planning to join in the Tank Fest event May 27 tocontact us in advance.

Our meeting with the ArlingtonFly-in management team January 19 confirms all planning is on schedule. Theyare encouraged by our plan to further enhance the tank demonstration event. Wepropose to add some greater interaction between friend and foe.

We plan to once again hold the International Military LawnDarts Association competition. We have located additional rifle grenades andthe needed blanks to send them to the target.

As in previous years, the first Camp Adamswork party will erect tents and other infrastructure on Saturday July 6. Camp Commanderwill be on site beginning Sunday July 7 and welcomes all participants to arriveand set up camp. The airfield is a great place for quiet vacationing a few daysbefore the Fly-in and air show begin.

Please send us the name of other military history groupsthat might want to join us at camp Adams. We will add theirname to the Now Hear This Report.

Bill High, Coordinator
Camp Adams

ellisk1989

I am looking forward to attending the Arlington fly in for the second time this year last year was great I am hoping to have the deuce up and running again so I can bring it again

REDROCKET

I'm really looking FWD: to this event, too! It will my 2nd year as well. Thanks for posting info on it already! tic-toc! tic-toc! tic-toc! CAN'T WAIT!

jhigh

Now Hear This

All lights stay on green for Camp Adamsat the Arlington Fly-In July 13-15. Camp Adamshowever opens up Sunday July 9. Join usthen or any days leading up to the Show opening. Remember, theInternational Military Lawn Darts Assoc. competition is scheduled as well asextra tank operations a day or two before the show opens. Tank demos with someextra interaction between the tanks and our vehicles are planned for show days.Vehicle pass-in-review parades are scheduled for Friday and Saturday.
Several Warbirds have committed to hang out at Camp Adams.

Special Note
The NPMC has received a separate invitation to participatein an upcoming event located on Paine Field, Everett, Washington.The Historic Flight Foundation will host the WWII Boeing B-17, the AluminumOvercast from mid day May 21 until its departure May 24. The Foundation teamhas invited military vehicles to display close to the historic aircraft duringits entire visit. This is a great time to get pictures of your vehiclealongside the aircraft at the close of each day.
You may bring your vehicle any day and leave it for theduration or come and go each day the aircraft is conducting its flights.
If you have never flown in such a historic aircraft, saveyour nickels now and purchase a ride. The ride is a thrill to last yourlifetime.

If you plan to show your vehicle to the visiting publicduring the aircraft’s visit, please contact Bill High at 425-486-2252 or email: psicylinders@msn.com. so space isreserved for you.

Bill High, Coordinator, NPMC

jhigh

NOW HEAR THIS! The Flying Heritage Collection has announced it will bring its flying P-47 Thunderbolt to Camp Adams during the Arlington Fly-In. If you have not seen one of these historic "JUGS" up close, then be sure you are settled within Camp Adams for a great show.

ellisk1989

hey jeff i was on http://www.arlingtonflyin.org/ and it says that the show is the 11th-13th? so i am just wanting to find out if that is true or its the 13-15 i plan on going again this year it was a blast last year and i dont wanna miss it thanks

:driver:

Now Hear This

All lights stay on green for Camp Adamsat the Arlington Fly-In July 13-15. Camp Adamshowever opens up Sunday July 9. Join usthen or any days leading up to the Show opening. Remember, theInternational Military Lawn Darts Assoc. competition is scheduled as well asextra tank operations a day or two before the show opens. Tank demos with someextra interaction between the tanks and our vehicles are planned for show days.Vehicle pass-in-review parades are scheduled for Friday and Saturday.
Several Warbirds have committed to hang out at Camp Adams.

Special Note
The NPMC has received a separate invitation to participatein an upcoming event located on Paine Field, Everett, Washington.The Historic Flight Foundation will host the WWII Boeing B-17, the AluminumOvercast from mid day May 21 until its departure May 24. The Foundation teamhas invited military vehicles to display close to the historic aircraft duringits entire visit. This is a great time to get pictures of your vehiclealongside the aircraft at the close of each day.
You may bring your vehicle any day and leave it for theduration or come and go each day the aircraft is conducting its flights.
If you have never flown in such a historic aircraft, saveyour nickels now and purchase a ride. The ride is a thrill to last yourlifetime.

If you plan to show your vehicle to the visiting publicduring the aircraft’s visit, please contact Bill High at 425-486-2252 or email: psicylinders@msn.com. so space isreserved for you.

Bill High, Coordinator, NPMC

jhigh

We will start to show up on july 7th. the official show dates are the 11th - 13th. We also received word today that the M3 Stuart is coming from Oregon and the P51 Mustang from Everett will also be there. its shaping up good.

jhigh

May 14, 2013
NOW HEAR THIS
Camp Adams, at the ArlingtonFly-In is only about 9 weeks away. For busy folks that will seem like about twoweeks as you put your participation plans into action. All lights remain on GREEN.

We have great news! The Historic Flight Foundation reports they will add the P-51 Mustang totheir list of warbirds ( RC45, L4) attending. Its annual inspection wascompleted this past week and one little detail with the cooling system will becorrected with a new part.

Steve Greenburg has committed to bring his WWII Stuart tankfor the three day show. The tank will appose the German Hetzer alreadyscheduled from the Flying Heritage Collection. I have determined in advancethat the US Stuart will win any conflicts with the German tank destroyer.

Our third GP medium tent will be set up as a BOQ for anyonewanting to camp out. It is a first come first serve for space. The 16 by 32 interior should be suitable forseveral people. The speaker’s tent can accommodate about 45 seated people andmay be used for group meetings. See Betty Sherman at the HQ tent if you need touse this space. The HQ tent will have sitting room for visiting warbird pilots.

The US Army will join Camp Adamsand provide some current military displays as will the organization Hero 2Hired group that provides work counseling for returning veterans.

The Fly-In announced that the Saturday evening Moon Glow hotair balloon program is coming again this year. The air show aerobatics features the Granley’s and Bill Shephard, allgreat performers we have enjoyed in the past.

Remember, the show dates are Thursday July 11 THROUGHSaturday July 13. You may arrive as early as July 6, set up camp and enjoy thequiet pre-show evenings with beverage in hand.

Bill High, Coordinator

Amer-team

Jeff, please put me down for a really serious maybe. Mike E. wants to come and do the Vietnam display again and I am logistical support for his efforts. The M38A1 is currently down with technical issues. Most likely a timing or fuel issue. Hopefully it will be back up and on track by then. Hope to see you soon.

elkhtr

are you looking for more participants?
i have a m923a1 with a mep004a in tow, 15 minutes away from there.
are there any costs involved for people displaying vehicles?015.jpg

jhigh

To anyone who is interested in coming to Arlington. You are all welcome to attend. we will move in on Sunday July 6 but the show starts on the following Thursday. You may arrive anytime you are available, and stay as long as you can. There is no cost for military vehicles, you get complete access to the entire show. I hope to see you all there.

jhigh

Camp Adams at the Arlington Fly-In is three weeks out. Here is a quick update on some of the attenders.
4 "tanks" Hetzer, Scorpion, Abbot and Stuart
Thunderbolt P-47, Mustang P-51, German 88 Flac gun
Navy RC45, Army L-4 and a variety of other warbirds
The Vietnam PBR (Patrol Boat River)
US Army 100 ft long scissor bridge (no, not a backup for the failed I-5 bridge)
three halftracks

Remember, you can arrive anytime from Sunday July 7 and enjoy camping in Camp Adams before the show opens on July 11

Bill High, Coordinator North Pacific Military Corps

jhigh

IMG_6425.jpgIMG_6411.jpgIMG_6423.jpg1st full day at the Arlington Fly-in. 17 vehicles, 9 trailers, 11 tents and 2 displays. The show does not even start until Thursday.

Last edited:

jhigh

IMG_6442.jpgIMG_6446.jpgIMG_6447.jpgwe warned Stuart about taking any parts off the Army Hemmets. Although I think his is nicer than theirs. Chris Brown drank all of my Rum. and Brad Kirgan stole a WWII shotgun pouch from a guy who came buy to sell some stuff. Hope you all get here soon.

jhigh

I would like to take a quick moment to thank everyone whocame out and helped make the 2013 camp Adamsdisplay a great success. The weather couldn’t have been better and the beer wasalways cold. The success of the Camp is all because of you. The tents don’t setthemselves up and the displays are always a crowd favorite. I don’t have the officialnumbers yet but I will give you what I have. 75 vehicles plus trailers, 12displays and 10 warbirds. Although our count was down, because people aregetting ready for the nationals. The show attendance was good. Start planningnow for 2014.

Thanks you all again

Jeff High
Camp Adams
Deputy Commander