• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Arlington, WA July 2012 Fly-In

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I made it last year without MV, maybe with MV this year! Thanks for the heads-up. Will that nice HEMTT be there again?

Stalwart

YUP, we'll be there as always. Love this event, we will probably start moving in on the Friday the 6th and start camping there on Saturday the 7th, Sunday at the latest.

They let me drive my tank as fast as I want on the taxiways: http://homepage.mac.com/stalwart/Stuff/Scorpion.m4v

Our truck makes a nice covered place to watch the airshow. Hope see all you PNW'ers there this year!

Attachments

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a possible weekend display opportunity in Tacoma, for Feb. My mom is in a senior apartment community near Pt. Defiance in Tacoma. The Harley group shows up there for a show and lunch every year and the residents get a kick out of it. I was talking with the manager and asked if the folks would like to see a bunch of green trucks and he was very positive. They have a number of veterans and they are always looking for ways to occupy and entertain the residents. He offered to serve lunch to anyone who would come and bring a truck for display. I will have my M35A2K (IMP shortened deuce) and hopefully my M105 trailer. I have been talking with wanderingwillys about this and would love to meet more of the PNW crowd. I was thinking that perhaps we could get 6 to 10 rigs to show up from 11 to 2 or something like that on Feb 18 (Sat). Is there any interest in doing this?

Stalwart

Probably should have started a new thread, didn't mean to hijack yours. Sorry
This is the PNW, we love hijacking, remember DB Cooper? Honestly, I can't remember anyone being offended by a local thread hijacking, thread possession must be an East Coast thing :)

There will be another Arlington thread as the date becomes closer . . .

jhigh

Well since someone already started the thread I guess I will post some info here. This is the first update for the year, more will follow as we get closer.

North Pacific Military Corps
January 30, 2012

NOW HEAR THIS

Early thinking and planning for the 2012 Arlington Fly-In began soon after the 2011 show. Some great ideas were put forth and today, following a decision making meeting, we have some great news to share.

The traditional Camp Adams assigned space was somewhat off in left field so far as the visiting public was concerned. Event managers have offered and we have accepted a move across the main taxiway to a more centrally located area. The new space is slightly larger in overall space including more length. We now occupy the entire space between taxiways HOTEL and ECHO and from the main taxiway DELTA that bordered our old area down to taxiway JULIET. In addition, we will have use of the grass space between ECHO and FOXTROT. Now, I realize that this might not be clear to everyone but, rest assured, we will have much better public access and two nearby tram stops. Also, showers will be within walking distance.

The Camp layout will be similar to the old one. In coming months we will get a sample ground layout map to you.

Official move in day will be Wednesday July 11. Air show aeobatics will be on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Our pass-in-review parades will be Friday and Saturday as will the tank demonstrations. Camp breakdown will begin at noon on Sunday July 15 except for our long distance traveling Canadian partners who require an earlier start for home. We will begin the camp setup, raising the large HQ tents and others, on Saturday, July 6 Some of us will begin our week long vacation in Camp starting Sunday July 7. Anyone wanting an early start is most welcome to help with setup and to stay in Camp on those pre-show days.

We have been assigned the same parking area for hauling trailers and private non-military vehicles. Half of our old area will be reserved for our tank and other demonstrations.

The B-17 that could not make it last year has asked to come this year. The FAA and nearby emergency units have requested that NO vehicle sirens be used during the Fly-In as their use in the past, including the pass-in-review parade, has caused some confusion and concerns.

Attachments

srodocker

exited again. family is defiantly making this our "mini family reunion" spot. they camp in the RV section. what are the rules on bringing say a quad to go between spots? or maybe a OD colored lawn mower?

jhigh

Preparations continue for upcoming Camp Adams at the Arlington Fly-In July 11-15. The new layout for the Camp is complete. While the within Camp roadways are similar to our past layout, we anticipate more privacy for vehicle and display camp spaces.

The German 88 cannon, Hetzer tank and Scorpion tank are confirmed for demonstrations as well as flying exhibitions by the B-17. We anticipate several new military history groups to join us this year.

Here is a quick time line review:
July 7: Camp construction- major tent setup and other support. Volunteers welcome
July 8: Camp open to early arrivals, staff on hand for duration. Convoy to car show.
July 9-10: Camp open to early arrivals. Be self-contained, few food venders operating.
July 11: Fly-in opens for low key events. Military vehicles should be in place
July 12-14 Fly-in full operations with aerobatics, late arriving military vehicles
July 13-14: Pass-in-review parades, max effort.
July 15: Fly-in open for major car show and other low key events. Camp Adams breaks
down after 1200 hours and bugs out.

We encourage you to bring along new military history enthusiasts. If they don’t have a vehicle, have them come wearing some uniform type and assist those who have more toys than they can adequately look after. We always have room for troops on vehicles during the pass-in-review parades.

If you have questions please contact me directly

Bill High, Coordinator, NPMC
psicylinders@msn.com
425-486-2252

Attachments

Stalwart

I can't see where they will EVER charge MV's and their owners for their participation. The MV's there are a draw for the public and I'm sure we offer the best bang for the buck for Arlington. They provide us with abundant parking, both for MV's and for support vehicles, drinking water and fuel for the main generators that power our frontal displays. They treat us great and we do the same for them, it is a win for all parties. [thumbzup]

For my wife and two girls (11 & 14) it is the best family vacation of the year, we all have a FANTASTIC time. Here's a link to some of Jane's pictures 2 years ago.MobileMe Gallery

Amram

Looks like I got some work ahead of me getting my duece ready. All those vehicles in those photos are pretty...mine is a semi painted rust bucket at the moment.:roll:

jhigh

Anyone who shows up with a vehicle will get in at no charge. We also want to encourage WIPS works in progress to come as well. this is not a car show all green is welcome.

Amram

Putting in my leave chit now!! This is going to be fun. Are alcoholic beverages authorized? I turn old on the 10th of the week of this event so I may have a few celebratory beverages!:p

Last edited:

bigkaiser

Alcoholic beverages are not only authorized, but encouraged.........AFTER the show closes to the public each evening. What do you think is in those red cups we are holding in Jeffs pic at the top of this page!!??...that explains why we are wearing the protective safety gear, i.e. helmets!!
bigkaiser- far right helmet.....

jhigh

April 6, 2012
NOW HEAR THIS
SPECIAL REPORT
We have just received a report listing new and exciting additions to Camp Adams at the Arlington Fly-In July 11-15.

You already know a WWII B-17 bomber is coming. Well, the Flying Heritage Collection will fly in with a B-25 for July 14. We also expect TWO yes 2 P-51 Mustangs. This will be the year to get great photos of your military vehicle with classic aircraft.

The Everett home port Navy Command has expressed considerable interest in the Fly-In adventure and is looking for ways to be more involved.

We have reason to believe there will be a more compatible and equivalent flag pole for our Canadian partners and their flag. Don’t forget to bring the flag with you!

Don’t forget that if you want some vacation leisure time you can arrive in camp as early as Sunday July 8 and relax for the week.

Bill High, Coordinator

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks