• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Armor/Cav Museum Stuff

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Last Saturday we (CAMO) were invited to go out and take a look at the facility where most of the work will be done on vehicles destined to be part Armor/Cav Museum when it is built.:-D

Today after an excellent T-bone steak lunch at the VFW, four of us headed out on a recon.

There are vehicles stashed all over Fort Benning waiting their turn to get to the shop to be "spruced up".

Here's some pics I took to share with y'all...oh...the last pic is just some birds taking their sweet time crossing the road...I honked my horn and they honked back!!

Attachments

dittle

A bunch of those artifacts you posted came from the Fort Snelling Military Museum (my museum) PB. M5 Stuart, M3 Halftrack, M274 Mule, M38, V100, M728 CEV, M4A1E8 Sherman, M151A2, and I believe the M48 you posted as well. Glad you finally got to see them. The Stuart and HT shouldn't need much more than a wash job. If you look at the dashes on them there is a "Restored By" plaque riveted in them.

KsM715

I wish there was a place like that around here that I could volunteer some time and labor to. I'd love to get to climb over stuff like that. (sand blasting and replacing parts)

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
A bunch of those artifacts you posted came from the Fort Snelling Military Museum (my museum) PB. M5 Stuart, M3 Halftrack, M274 Mule, M38, V100, M728 CEV, M4A1E8 Sherman, M151A2, and I believe the M48 you posted as well. Glad you finally got to see them. The Stuart and HT shouldn't need much more than a wash job. If you look at the dashes on them there is a "Restored By" plaque riveted in them.
Dittle I believe most of your stuff came directly to the shop because it was in such good shape.

Most of the stuff in the "holding area" is in need of LOTS of TLC.
The fellers we met are highly motivated to:grd:

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for sharing the pictures Papabear.

Nice to know where the V100 and other Snelling vehicles ended up (sorry y'all lost those Dan). Dan and company restored and kept it in such good shape (drivable), I hope the V will be stored indoors rather than suffering the elements.

Cheers

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Thanks for sharing the pictures Papabear.
Nice to know where the V100 and other Snelling vehicles ended up (sorry y'all lost those Dan). Dan and company restored and kept it in such good shape (drivable), I hope the V will be stored indoors rather than suffering the elements.
Cheers
From my understanding most of the stuff will be indoors.
They are currently moving around some stuff and opening up bays for each vehicle to occupy.

I think this is gonna be one rip-snortin facility...and that's BEFORE a museum is ever built!!:!::D:D

Attachments

dittle

Thanks for the kind words Rory. They're shutting us down so we didn't have much choice in the matter. I would rather have seen the artifacts go to another museum like they did as opposed to the DRMO.....and we all know what happens to armored vehicles that go to a DRMO lot.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the kind words Rory. They're shutting us down so we didn't have much choice in the matter. I would rather have seen the artifacts go to another museum like they did as opposed to the DRMO.....and we all know what happens to armored vehicles that go to a DRMO lot.
I saw your post on that not long ago, amazing how quickly they can move when they choose to! Looks like your stuff will be in good hands at the new home though, so some consolation for your being deprived of your 'babies'.

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks